How to Get a Hernia with Daniel, Matt, and Calen.

02-10-2006 Deadlift

We were ready. It was poo, Rookie, and me. And the bar. And a ton of weight. And we listened to Boys Night Out "Make Yourself Sick" and warmed up.

Up to...
355x1

That's twenty pounds more than my PR was! I had the same PR as poo for a good two minutes. It was amazing.

Bent Over Rows

105x10x3

This was way too much weight. At first it was okay but I could feel I was a sucker for putting on too much weight for no reason so I can pretend to be stronger than I really am, but I struggled.

Towel chins

Wow. I liked scoring the PR, but it was a weak workout.

386 said:
02-10-2006 Deadlift

We were ready. It was poo, Rookie, and me. And the bar. And a ton of weight. And we listened to Boys Night Out "Make Yourself Sick" and warmed up.

Up to...
355x1

That's twenty pounds more than my PR was! I had the same PR as poo for a good two minutes. It was amazing.
Grats on the PR 386!

i did the same thing as 386.

we shared the 355 PR for a minute, until i picked up 365. bam! ...as long as i am stronger than kory.

Deadlift 2-10-06

After coming home from the doctor and after dancing many dances of thanksgiving for the intactitude of my foot, I headed over to the gym.

Deadlift

135x1
225x1
315x1
365x1
415x0
415x0
315x5
315x5

I budged 415 from the floor both times, but I couldn

HULKAMANIA said:
Deadlift 2-10-06
Deadlift

135x1
225x1
315x1
365x1
415x0
415x0
315x5
315x5

I budged 415 from the floor both times, but I couldn

fat_wilhelm said:
Nice work to the 2 out of 3 that set PR's this week. :icon_lol:

Bastard.

Secondary Press Day 2-11-06

I generally have two press days a week. The main day focuses on the bench and bringing my triceps up to snuff. The second day focuses on either the overhead or inclined press and beating the pansy out of my shoulders. There are some problems with this approach (namely that I train OHP the day after my heaviest workout which means my lower back and traps are already sore sometimes) that I'm trying to fix, but I like having two days a week devoted to getting a respectable bench. Today, though, confirmed my suspicion that my shoulders are weak like little girl.

Cable crossovers are second only to pec dec in manliness.

CableCrossovers1.jpg

Pretty good numbers on the incline bench.

I've always been afraid to to face pulls. The cable handle attachments are all close to being worn through at my gym from the near OCD use of some "lifters". I've had vivid daydreams of doing facepulls, having the clip thing on the handle break and fucking up my grill. It would be the perfect excuse to push the cable stacks over though.

I don't think it's worth it... My pearly whites>temporary gratification associated with wrecking the cable stacks.

Squat 02-13-2005

Well, poo, Rookie, and me were all there today. So we decided to start this program that HULKAMANIA made for us.

Full Squats

165x7x2
175x7x2

Front Squats

This was a pretty tricky one. I've never done this, so I did this cross-the-arms thing I saw HULK do once when he was learning how to do it. It was weak.

115x10x2

Then, we looked up the correct form and it was in the clean position. Needless to say, all of the dissing that poo and I have been doing again HULKAMANIA about how we know how to clean like janitors and all that... well we were full of it. We don't clean for crap. So I tried learning the true clean "hold" that is supposed to be used in real front squats.

115x10

Lunges

70x10
60x10x2

Romanian Deadlifts

This was also a new excercise for me. I've heard a lot about it and read a lot of mocking of it and how people don't do it right so I asked poo how to do it, and then I looked it up for double power or whatever. Anyways, I read on like bodybuilding.com [I know] about how to do it.

135x10x3

And that was that.

Sandbag Day 2-13-06

As of today, I'm officially employed by Starbucks. My job there will rock. I don't know if any of you fellas share my love for coffee, but, if you don't, you need to stop by the Starbucks at Cahaba Heights in Birmingham, Alabama so I can change your perspective on some shit. Anyway, my first day barista training ran a bit late so I had exactly an hour and fifteen minutes to get big if I expected to get any grub before the cafeteria closed. I had a partner tonight, too, a guy from the weightroom who seems interested in my "Rocky" training style.

Stadium Stair Sprints (120 lbs)

I only did eight runs today before we had to move one, but I did a couple sets of two runs in a row without rest. Furthermore, I carried the bag both up and down the stairs so it ended up being even more grueling than the ten runs last week.

Manly Skipping, Hopping, Walking, etc. (120 lbs)

You know the drill. 60 yards on the toes. I mostly skipped and hopped. I walked when I had to.

Behind the Back Sandbag Throws (57 lbs)

Like heavy medicine ball throws but with my sandbag. These were glorious.

ATG Jumpsquats (102 lbs)

Three sets of three. I followed them up with one set of 21 reps at that weight. My legs and butt had more in them, but my shoulders couldn't keep the sandbag postitioned any longer. It kept shifting on me.

Those stair sprints ruin me every single time; they're miserable. I sit between runs feeling lightheaded and sick to my stomach, sucking wind. In the middle of my drills this evening, I found myself wondering, "Can I do this to myself week after week? Can I keep this up?" This is kind of shit someone starts, does for about a month, and then spends the rest of his lifting career telling his buddies about so that they know he's hardcore--kind of like squats. Well, I decided fuck that. I remember starting lifting and wondering, "How long can I keep this up?" I'm still keeping it up, though, and I'm getting better at it and stronger. I'm going to stick to this sandbag regimen; I'm going to keep making it harder and harder; and, in a couple months, I'm going to be fitter, nastier, and tougher than I've ever been. Then I'll find some new, horrendous brand of self punishment to test the resolve of that HULKAMANIA and start this cycle over again.

Besides, when it's all over and I've eaten a boatload of food and I'm sitting there reflecting on my day, I feel damn good--scratch that--I feel exultant.

Weight training is so beautiful. It's downright spiritual. I feel sorry for the guys around me who haven't caught on yet.

February 13, 2006: How Not to Squat

Full Squat
185x8

and then i supersetted with the following:
full squatx6
try to literally touch butt to ground (in attempt at humor?)x1
lose balance getting butt off of groundx1
do some sort of half of a sideways good morning thingx1
hurt backx1
fullsquatx2

yeah, i hurt myself being an idiot. it didn't feel all that bad, though. so i continued.

185x6x2

Front Squat
whine and be a little girl because the front squat was hurting my back "injury"x1
stop doing front squatsx1

Lunges
70x8x2 each leg

and then i quit, because i thought i had really messed up my back. a few hours later, however, i could barely feel the pain. now i'm sitting here with minor discomfort. i wish i would have sucked it up and squatted, but perhaps "better safe"? nah, probably not.

tomorrow, i plan on warming up with a few sets of "quit being a whiny little girl"... but i guess we'll see.

my sessions are pathetic.

HULKAMANIA, I hereby declare you the comedian star of sherdog *sheering and applause in background*

Seriously, and with the risk of kissing your ass, you got a humour in my taste. :icon_chee

February 14, 2006: Good Ol' Bench

Bench Press
5x5@145

Weighted Dips
3x8@+25

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press
3x10@30s

External Rotation
2x20@5

Posterior Deltoid Lateral Raises
3x10@20s

and that's that.

poo and I decided to up it on the bench because ben, who is trying to get an engineering degree, was doing better at bench than us. at least on his logs he says he is. and i believe it. and he just started working out. and he might be 6 feet tall, but still!

Press Day 2-14-06

DB Bench

80x8
80x8
80x8

Incline Bench

135x10
155x7
155x6

Rotators

Rear Delt Raises

Decline 3 Way Sit Ups

25x12
35x9
35x9

That's basically all she wrote on that day. Next week, I'll be taking a week off from heavy lifting; my body's telling me it's about time. After that, I'll do three or four weaks of singles on the bench and see where that takes me.

Lard-ass said:
HULKAMANIA, I hereby declare you the comedian star of sherdog *sheering and applause in background*

Seriously, and with the risk of kissing your ass, you got a humour in my taste. :icon_chee

Haha, I don't know about all that, but I appreciate the comment. I crack up reading poo's and 386's logs, though (when 386 is straight enough to post that is. It was his damn idea in the first place and now he's all "I don't like posting.").

Those two are hilarious in real life, too. If, in some magical time in the future, we ever have a Sherdog S&P get together, you guys would see. They'll forever confuse people because they're perpetually monotone and always sound vaguely bored/sarcastic. Girls are always like "is he making fun of me?" It's a well known fact, too, that poo is the worst interviewee in the world. Some prospective employer will ask him like, "What do you think makes you good for this job?" and poo will just be like, "Oh, I don't know. I guess I might not be." They'll be like, "Do you even want this job?" and all he'll say is "Sure." I exaggerate not. I've had to get that guy two (count em) two jobs. I'll recommend him; the boss will interview him and be like, "What the hell, HULK? Was that guy stoned or something?"; and then I have to reassure the boss that poo isn't actually completely apathetic to the rest of humanity.

I like it when 386 pukes all over the place, too. Every time we push the car, he ralphs, but he drinks his protein shake anyway. What a good sport.

i'm not gonna lie. hulkamania has hooked me up with jobs. i still don't see what's so bad about my interview style, though. maybe i'm keeping it a little too real or something...

anyways, speaking of car pushing... i'm just gonna let 386 post our log for today. it was his idea to start this thing anyway.

A Good Day. GPP? 02-15-2006

What the crap is GPP, anyways? I don't care to look it up and when I say "GPP" then people ask what it is. And I make them help me come up the meaning of it. It's ridiculous. General Personal Performance? Who cares. I guess that's what today was. After smoking some sweet Djarum Blacks. Wait. That's right!

poo and I started smoking. Well, I started smoking again. My first online excercise log was called "Starting Smoking HOW-TO" because I was very excited about starting to smoke cigarettes, but I eventually quit for some reason. But do not fear! The smoke is back for an instant of February bliss. When poo's pack is out I'm sure I'll quit again to only start again another day. And what a day to start. Well, technically I started yesterday and he started a few weeks ago or something. But it was like this cardio-type excercise where endurance plays a big part and we start smoking. White people, I swear.

Clove Cigarette Smoking

1x1
1x1

poo only did the first set of these.

Rope Climbing

We tried to climb the rope five times. I know I have climbed to the top and bitten that knot in the manliest fashion ever on a few occasions. I might have even done it twice in one day. But today I was on. I bit that knot every time I went up.

Car Pushing

We didn't have a 2000-era Ford Taurus so we made do with a 1992-ish Nissan Sentra "4 on the floor" coupe. It definitely wasn't as heavy as the Taurus. We usually push the car in pairs up the "hill" of the 100-ish ft long driveway up a small incline into the road.

We did it! It was too easy as a pair being such a lighter car. So we tried solo and that was much more fun.

1x1
1x1
Throw upx0

That's right, HULK. I pushed a car and I didn't throw up. I wanted to and I felt pretty close to it and we sure did work hard and our hands were chalk white and nasty black and it was sweet. And we drank sweet shakes of goodness. We're on creatine until we run out. And it's halfway gone.

I want to do handstand pushups or something.

i only climbed the rope once, by the way. that was second time in my life that i have climbed that sucker. next time, i'm getting at least 2.

Back