How to Get a Hernia with Daniel, Matt, and Calen.

too bad it's post count free zone! i think i like the push press. thanks for the advice.

poo said:
too bad it's post count free zone! i think i like the push press. thanks for the advice.

*post, post, post* I'll be damned....

02-06-2006 Push
Push day is the worst. The bench is easily my weakest of the big three and that's the way it's always going to be. I don't want to work out my pecs. I just want to be able to do more work and lift more weight.

Overhead Press
95x5x3

Kenny showed up and he was doing OHP with the bar in squat position and bringing it up over his head and back to squat position, at least until he started adding real weight. He is a hoss, but he also weighs almost a hundred pounds more than me.

Incline Bench

95x7
105x7
115x7 (killer)

As you can see I am very much obsessed with 7 reps. But since I wrote killer, that is the weight I will begin with next time.

Dips

Did I ever say that I love dips? They were the first excercise I loved and I couldn't really even do that many.

Close-grip Bench

95x7x3

Pushups

The lovely pushup burnout. According to this, I was 17 years old. (FYI I turn 23 this month.)

It was an alright workout. Kenny was sweating bullets, but I had nothing. I felt like I didn't do enough, but the hour was up and it was time to go to sleep.

02-07-2006 Screw off day

I love screw off day. I show up to the basement all alone. Kory says he's coming over but I know how much he really wants to work out and he won't show up at all. So I start doing some excerices I recently learned. I listened to "Make Yourself Sick" and stole water from "Calen's" mom's Explorer. "Calen" - I think she is cutting us off soon. I bought some water today and peanut butter, though.

Power Cleans

115x7

Kory did show up. Props! But he was "too sick" to workout.

135x7
145x7

Man, we can do these way better than "Calen." He has no clue. I could have probabaly done more weight. I supersetted these with the terribleness.

Sit-ups

Snatches

75x7
85x7
95x7

I got bored. I wanted to do something, but I really just wanted to go to Best Buy and buy "Waiting" and something for my mom for her birthday and give it to her and then watch Waiting. So I decided to go for a PR on my snatches because it's one of my newest excercises and I might as well try to hurt myself and/or push this crap to the limit.

135x0

I tried it a few times, but my best bet was getting it right above my head and becoming scared when it was time to dip down and I brought the bar back to clean position. Snatches are totally fun. I guess most Oly [haha] excercises are. poo showed up and we tried out some more Oly [haha] excercises and I made everyone shakes, even though I was the only one who worked out.

Bench 2-8-06

Bench

135x6
185x3
Fracture Metatarsal x 1
205x1
220x5
230x2
240x1
220x3

I know what some of you are thinking to yourselves; you're thinking, "I've heard legendary tales about the efficacy of breaking one's own foot in the middle of a benching session. But how do I go about incorporating it into my own routine?" Well, every lifter is different, but I'll tell you how I did it.

I had just finished my warm up set of 185. I sat up on the bench and stretched my shoulders a bit, and then I got up to change out the 25 for a 35. Well, about that time I start daydreaming about who knows what. I'm going to assume I was daydreaming about some glorious day many years hence when I will go around benching imported cars off the ground to help clear wrecks in crowded intersections and relieve metropolitan gridlocks, or maybe I was envisioning my girlfriend sighing dreamily as I press her one-handed for reps while holding a book of love poetry in the other, or maybe I was just thinking fond thoughts of hurling a 45 discus-like at the dude carefully explaining to his buddy how to squat in the Smith machine. Well, for whatever reason, I absent-mindedly pulled the 45 off instead of the 25 and, in the process, let the 25 fall unseen and unhindered onto the top of my right foot.

Replaying the instant over and over again in my mind, I think I have determined that my reaction to it came in three distinct phases: self-preservation, self-loathing, and self-consciousness.

The first stage was primal. I began hopping around madly and shaking my foot as if the pain were some angry animal that I had to jettison from my leg. In the entire length and breadth of my being, I understood two things: agony and that I needed to quell the agony. Jumping around on one foot with bulging eyes and clenched teeth (kind of like the deadlift face) wasn't cutting it though.

Then, slowly, I began to remember another life I once had before the pain and I recalled that I was a person, a person whom at that moment I loathed. The first thing I remember actually verbalizing in my head was, "If this fucks up my squatting, I'm going to be pissed." I couldn't believe that I had done something so dumb, and sat there berating myself for being so irresponsible.

Then came the final, knee-jerk reaction to the plate dropping, "Did anyone see that?" I looked around the gym; no one seemed to be paying any attention to the guy going into mid-air frenzy with the chalk on his hands. Or, maybe if they did, they just sighed to themselves, "There goes that weird guy 'psyching' himself up again," and went about their jolly business. I'd like to think so at any rate.

My foot looks really swollen today, and I've hobbling around to classes with a pronounced limp. I think I'm going to go get it checked out. ((UPDATE: The nurse says it's broken. I have to go X-rays once the swelling desists))

Weighted Dips

+45x6
+45x6
+55x5

Internal/External Rotators

Rear Delt Raises (Cable)

Decline DB Bench

60x12
60x10
60x9

Tricep Pressdowns

100x12
115x10
115x10

That's about it for yesterday. All around, it wasn't a bad session. I think I'm the only person I know of, though, that broke his foot bench pressing.

:icon_lol: This log does wonders for my core!

If you end up getting fitted for a walking cast, try to refrain from walking in it. I blew out my ankle last year and the walking cast fucked my back up royal. My body compensated for the hobble and made my pre-existing back problem worse^10.

Get well soon man. It could be worse, at least you can still do curls...

I've dropped a 10lb'er on my foot before, but never anything heavier. Play through the pain.

poo and I are totally going to be deadlifting more than you before summer! ROCK ON, INJURIES!

Yeah, that'll be the day. Why would I quit deadlifting just because I broke my foot?

02-08-2006 Squat

Squat day sucks! It is so hard, and taxes the body so much. And I know it's silly to have squat day two days before heavy deadlft day. But this week that is just how things worked out.

Nobody worked out with me because I got out of class early because of snow and I wanted to get my crap done so I could come home and do homework, which I never did. I listened to "Make Yourself Sick" by Boys Night Out and drank Aquafina water that I bought because HULK's mom isn't hooking it up anymore. I think she just forgot.

Box Squats

I used to complain when HULKAMANIA made me do box squats on this 14 or so inch box. He said it was right for my size and I was going just below parallel. But anyways, I put the box on it's side for the lowest available box. I think it was like 9 inches off the ground. It was ridiculous.

205x2

I was going to use 205, but that weight was terribly hard even for those two at such a deep squat. So I made it more realistic.

185x5x4
185x4

That last set. It was hard. When I finished the fourth squat I came forward and sort of stumbled and I knew that was the end of my box squatting for the day.

Good Mornings

I used to do GM's along with my squats but stopped for some reason when I branched out on my own without HULKAMANIA's guidance. But I think it's a good idea, especially with Friday being "heavy" deadlift day. I probabaly won't have any left to GM a ton on Friday, so I might as well do it now. And make deads a little bit harder, I guess.

125x10x3

These were _so_ hard! I'm glad I chose this weight. It was a true challenge. I was all sweating. I only sweat on squat day most of the time.

Overhead Squats

I guess these things are all the rage now.

95x5x3

I definitely need to work on form. I wasn't going deep enough and might have been using too much weight. It was totally fun, though.

386 said:
02-08-2006 Squat

Box Squats

I used to complain when HULKAMANIA made me do box squats on this 14 or so inch box. He said it was right for my size and I was going just below parallel. But anyways, I put the box on it's side for the lowest available box. I think it was like 9 inches off the ground. It was ridiculous.

Aye aye

You ever plan on doing ass to the grass squats?

IF you do, prepared to be humbled

Hulk, I dropped a 50lb standard plate on my toes when I was 14 years old. I was unloading the bar that my father had been using. I took off the fifty and right when i removed it the bar started to fly up in the air because there was still a 50 on the other side. I tried to grab the bar with one hand and hold the plate in the other, unfortunatly that was not happening. The 50 lbs plate slipped from my girly fingers and went down in slow mo till is smashed my 2 smallest toes on my right foot. That HURT.

I remember jumping around and then just sitting on the bench for a couple. I went upstairs and decided to remove my shoe, then my sock. Once the sock came off I just saw black crushed toes and the bruising had already begun to spread to other areas of my foot and other toes. I went into shock and was taken to the hospital. Those toes have NO feeling to this day.

Good luck man. Foot pain can be a constant irritation, especially if you try to tough it out. Hope it gets better fast!

nub! hulkamania is always breaking some bone. one time he cliff-dived into a 4 foot deep puddle and broke his leg. this foot thing is no surprise to me. i have been expecting it. i did not, however, expect it to occur during bench press.

February 8, 2006: Squat

386 hit up the basement at about 5pm. then later came the rookie at about 7 or 8. after i got off of work at about 9:15, i went over to squat. i think the rookie tried to follow 386's plan, and i in turn looked off of the rookie's notebook to see what they did. apparently he did box squats, good mornings, upright squats, and ring over rosies(?)... i changed box to full, assumed upright squats were overhead, and ignored the rosies. i didn't know what that was at all. maybe i'll look it up.

Full Squat
warm up sets and then...
185x5x2
195x5x1
205x5x1
155x10x1

i really want to do some 205, so after i felt pretty good about the smaller weights, i tried it out. it was pretty good. my knees sort of turn in a little on the last rep, but other than that it was great. because of the knees buckling thing, i decided to lower it to good morning weight and push out 10. and then i did good mornings.

Good Mornings
155x7x3

then it was time...

Overhead Squat
95x7x1
95x5x2

during the second set of overheads, i tried to readjust my grip on the bar by throwing the bar up a little and catching it (i think you can figure out what i mean), and it caused me to lose my balance and almost fall backwards. i didn't, though. but after that i was a little shaken and only did 5 reps.

i went on to finish up with some grip stuff. i picked up hex shaped dumb bells by grabbing the hex part, nawmeenz? i don't know exactly what that's good for, but i know i can't lift the 35, only the 30. so i want to eventually pick up the 40 in that style. i think maybe it works crushing grip. i also did CoC #T overcrushes and such, and closed the #1 a couple of times with each hand so i could feel manly.

in between sets i read the book of james (active recovery), and, when that was over, i read some old log entries. i read about my first set of good mornings @ 70 lbs. we were doing those stiff leg suckers back then, but still... and also my first BOR session which finished with 60 lbs for 8 reps. the next page shows a day with a routine consisting of bicep curls, hammer preacher curls, and concentration curls!!! that stuff was in april of last year. ah, memories. thanks for telling me to keep a log in your treatise, carnal.

Damn, I just love reading this log.

Sorry you smashed your foot Hulk...but somehow, you made that funny to read about. "no one seemed to be paying any attention to the guy going into mid-air frenzy with the chalk on his hands. Or, maybe if they did, they just sighed to themselves, "There goes that weird guy 'psyching' himself up again," and went about their jolly business. I'd like to think so at any rate." LOL.

Yeah! Especially that part was really, really good. Im under the impression that you have got some real talent.

i heard that entropy dropped a 200lb!!! dumbell on his foot, ouch!!!

peanut butter said:
i heard that entropy dropped a 200lb!!! dumbell on his foot, ouch!!!

Human Foot + 200lb dumbbell = bloody stump/pwnage

Entropy's foot + 200lb dumbbell = pissed off foot/horribly misshapen dumbbell

poo said:
apparently [the rookie] did box squats, good mornings, upright squats, and ring over rosies(?)... i changed box to full, assumed upright squats were overhead, and ignored the rosies. i didn't know what that was at all. maybe i'll look it up.

so about those the ring over rosies, in case anyone was worried. it turns out that they were bent over rows. the rookie only remember "over rows" and knew there was more to it than that, so added "ring" and "ies" to make "ring over rowsies", perhaps a play on "ring around the rosies"... so ROR is the same as BOR, fyi.

NO BROKEN BONES!

Awwww yeeeeeee. The X-ray I got today showed that I have no breakage in my foot. The doctor said that I have a lot of nerve and tissue damage, swelling, etc. but that it should clear up over the next couple weeks. He told me to start using my foot as normally as possible so I asked, "Does that mean I can work out today?" He said, "That means you can work out today."

Thank you, Lord.

Gravity and iron haven't got shit on me. I'm going to prove that later by deadlift four plates + some change. Hellz yeah.

Back