How to Get a Hernia with Daniel, Matt, and Calen.

Press 1-28-06

I planned on doing OHP today, but my traps were too tore up from yesterday to do anything serious above the noggin. I decided to stick with some heavy pressing from the bench so I don't have to stabilize much.

Inclined Bench

135x10
165x6
185x6
205x3

Close Gripped Bench

135x6
165x5
165x5

Not where I'd like to be on these, but my tricep has been giving me crap since my 405 pull.

Declined DB Bench

55x10
55x12
55x10

That one goes out to all the ladies.

After declines, I did some rear delt raises with cables. Then I did some DB rotator cuff work. Then I FUCKING CURLED AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK! I CURLED LIKE MUSCLE AND FITNESS WAS THE VERY VOICE OF GOD ALMIGHTY! I CURLED LIKE I NEEDED A SPRING BREAK BODY ASAP, AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK. I PUMPED MY BI'S TO THE MAX!

I even used chalk on my curls. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Sherdog.

HULKAMANIA said:
After declines, I did some rear delt raises with cables. Then I did some DB rotator cuff work. Then I FUCKING CURLED AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK! I CURLED LIKE MUSCLE AND FITNESS WAS THE VERY VOICE OF GOD ALMIGHTY! I CURLED LIKE I NEEDED A SPRING BREAK BODY ASAP, AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK. I PUMPED MY BI'S TO THE MAX!

Hulk, since you are HULK and all, you should have a Curling exception - you can't build 24" guns without doing at least some curling!

Grip 1-28-06

Second workout of the day, ladies. I took about a 5 hour break between the two, though. I did all this while I was chilling out at the apartment.

Grippers

Right handed, I did some heavy singles and doubles on the #2. I followed that with some overcrushes on the #1.

Left handed, I overcrushed the #1 about 5 or six times with plenty of rest in between.

8 Pound Sledge Levering

I did this overhead, weaver stick style, and rotationally.

Hand Extensor Band Training

Rubber bands. I can't afford that Ironmind stuff. I worked for high reps like John Brookefield says.

Grady said:
Hulk, since you are HULK and all, you should have a Curling exception - you can't build 24" guns without doing at least some curling!

Yeah, I know. I got to keep those puppies at their full, two foot glory.

HULKAMANIA said:
Press 1-28-06Then I FUCKING CURLED AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK! I CURLED LIKE MUSCLE AND FITNESS WAS THE VERY VOICE OF GOD ALMIGHTY! I CURLED LIKE I NEEDED A SPRING BREAK BODY ASAP, AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK. I PUMPED MY BI'S TO THE MAX!

Kudos to you for actually admitting it. I reckon you're not the only one. As long as we take care of our manly lifts, by all means, let us curl, Sherdog! LET US CURL!

Oh, and congrats on earning your membership card. Now, as an official member, you can walk around your basement and get on poo's and 386's cases for not reracking their weights.

January 30, 2006

i almost got my butt kicked today.
i have no set pattern of when to do what. i always just wing it. today i decided to do cleans.

CLEANS
i warmed up and then
135x5
135x4 +1 succesful attempt from hang
GET PISSEDx1
145x5 dominated me. i didn't like it.
GET PISSEDx10
REMOVE SHIRTx2 (i had on two shirts)
165x5

ONE ARM SHRUGS
50x7
50x7
LAY ON THE FLOORx4minutes
i don't know what happened. maybe i forgot to breathe. i was just exhausted.

WEIGHTED CHINS
+25 x 4
+25 x 4
and then, i was already half way there. so i decided to go all the way.
GET NAKEDx1

NAKED CHINS
x10

finished up with some GRIP WORK including plate pinches and the little rolling log tied to weights forearm thingy.

i would have considered myself defeated had i not done those 165 cleans. that was the only good part of the whole thing. oh yeah...and being naked.

*all weights in pounds

This log is killing me.

I want to go on record saying that I think all 3 of these guys are Hulk. I get the same feeling reading this log as watching Fight Club and The Secret Window.

LOL@ naked chins

So does that mean you shaved your face prior to hitting the bar or that you streaked through hulks basement and then busted out 10 chins wearin nothin but a smile?

This training log pwns

BTW, kudos to Barut on the conspiracy theory...that scenario hadn't occurred to me

Barut said:
This log is killing me.

I want to go on record saying that I think all 3 of these guys are Hulk. I get the same feeling reading this log as watching Fight Club and The Secret Window.

All right, if the applicant is young, tell him he's too young. Old, too old. Fat, too fat. If the applicant then waits for three days without food, shelter, or encouragement he may then enter and begin his training.

Tyler Durden

Dammit, Barut, you're right. This log IS Project Mayhem.

If, [somehow] it's not, however, and there are, in fact, three distinct persons posting, then I take much enjoyment in knowing that Hulk's compadres share an equally witty sense of humor and offer us the same brand of sarcasm as does Hulkamania.

OMG. There is life on Sherdog.
Thank you boys, I needed this...

Naked chins, ...classic.
Best log ever.

i belive theres 3 people.

me and my 3 best friends pretty much all act alike.

Oly Lifting 1-30-06

So I went into the gym feeling pretty good today. My traps for the most part had recovered and today called for graceless, newbie Olympic lifting and some light DL assistance work--good thing, too, because if I there's one thing I can do in the gym it's fuck up a power clean. If there are children in the vicinity they start crying as soon as I start.

1 Armed Dumbbell Snatches

60x3
70x3
75x2
75x3
60x3

About halfway through my sets here, I started noticed this PLer dude who's really new to our gym. Anyway, he's over there with his spotter helping him squeeze into a bench shirt. I think to myself, "Hmmmm... that looks vaguely homoerotic." But then I refocused myself on the task at hand which is twofold, snatching and being gawked at by the girls on the treadmills (but it wasn't like a "he's hot" gawking. It was like a "why does he make an ugly face and grunt when he lifts?" gawking).

Power Cleans

95x3
135x4
135x6
135x8
135x8

I have a theory that poo's powercleans are uglier than sin. When I move this weight, it's not challenging, but it doesn't look pretty enough for me to justify adding more plates on. So there's no way that that nancy boy can move more weight than I can without selling his form to the devil. I refuse to accept that, and plus I hate him.

But anyway back to the powerlifter. At this point the guy was geared to the teeth. He had his bench shirt on (finally); he had his wrist wraps secured; he had his hands chalked up; he had a weight belt cinched tightly around his waist; he had his ammonia out and ready; and he had a huge four-board on his chest. Then, with a determined gleam in his eye, he laid back on the bench and repped 315 pounds 3 times on the four board press (with a little assistance from his spotter on the last rep). The dude on the bench next to him who was repping 275 on the flat bench just shook his head at the whole spectacle.

I don't understand it, either. Maybe I'm getting a little bit too big for my britches, but that seems like an awful lot of hooplah to go through for a relatively unimpressive weight. I remember Carnal talking about how nasty the gear whores of our generation are, but I mean is this the future of powerlifting? Do people really need to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and thirty minutes of preparation in the gym before they move three plates through a six inch range of motion? Where's the "power" in that lift?

I did notice that the guy shaves his legs, though. At first it made me squeamish. Then I just thought, "Hey, he's a bodybuilder in his 'bulking phase.'" and it made me feel better PLing and life in general even though it was a transparent attempt at self delusion.

DB Kelso Shrugs

90x8
90x10
90x12
90x10

GM's

135x6
115x12
115x8

I had planned on starting with 135 as my warm up, but my back felt funny. I blame this on my deadlifting Friday and my crappy form on the power cleans. I decided, though, just to keep it light.

Timed Holds

Double Overhand

315x10secs
365x10secs
385x8secs

Double Underhand

225x15secs
275x8secs

P.S: I'm glad that you guys think I'm capable of scheming up a faux three person log. I'm also glad that my mom didn't come home while poo was chinning today.

she did come home. we had a wonderful time. when you come home i'll show you how to clean, sucka.

I kept trying to login as 486 and it was pissing me off, seriously.

Today in the basement I worked out with the rookie again. I showed him some good mornings. We listened to poo's "Love like... Electrocution" CD on repeat about five times. We drank Wal-Mart water. I sure wish it wasn't from Wal-Mart. I wish it was that deer water or whatever.

Deadlifts of Doom 01-30-2006

Considering my max DL is like 330-340 then 80% would be ~270. But I want to be a freaking member of the gym. I'm not going to sacrifice form for weight, but I will add weight until my back explodes. These felt beautiful.

255x5
285x3x4

Good Mornings

Rookie didn't know how to do these. I tried teaching him and telling him to stick his butt out, but much like squats he just couldn't do it correctly. But hey. He's trying and he's still in the gym.

115x10x2
125x10

At some point Rookie was talking about how this place in his pevlis was hurting real bad. And I was thinking "Sharp pain! A hernia! It has finally happened! I sure am glad it wasn't me."

Bent Over Rows

95x10
105x10x2

Here my form started getting crappy. Or maybe not form, but the ability to actually do the excercise. I remember working out with Kenny a few months ago and he looked really silly doing BORs but I think he knew what he was doing and I felt like I was him at this point in time. I started kind of doing this reverse-curl motion when bringing it up and my arms filled with blood.

Chins

+25lbsx2

I started sweating during the deads and I was pumped because I like it that I was actually sweating because I usually take it too easy or something because I am on the juice. And I continued sweating throughout the entire session. Rookie is learning some form and sticking with working out consistently. And God knows I need a workout partner or I'll quit like I always do.

I was reading poo's written log when I was in the gym and it said "Faint 1x1" and I started laughing. Rookie didn't get it.

One day poo and I will work out again at the same time, but it's gonna be a minute and a half before he gets a freaking night off!

Bench 1-31-06

I played walleyball for class this morning. Some sucker spiked it on my fingers, but since they're so buff these days they just deflected it instead of getting jammed. That ball's lucky it didn't get itself popped.

Flat Bench

135x6
185x3
215x5
225x3
225x3
235x1

I'm making progress on my bench nowadays, which is something I failed to do for the past couple months. I'd attribute it to an all in all more serious and focused approach to my time in the gym. I'm working harder now than I ever have before.

Weighted Dips

+35x8
+35x7
+45x6

Decline DB Bench

55x10
55x12
55x10

Tricep Pressdowns

95x13
105x11
115x9

Rear Delt Raises (Cable)

Internal/External Rotators

A month ago, I wouldn't have dreamed about touching a tricep pressdown. That one t-nation article (Dave Tate Talks Hypertrophy) got me thinking, though. The size of the muscle in part determines how much force it can generate--I've known that for a while. But he talked about what bodyparts a PLer must make sure get hypertrophied, the tricep being one of them. I gave my triceps a good, long look in the mirror, and decided to start cycling some hypertrophy specific work into my press routine to whip them into shape. I figure that I'll go four weeks with heavy, RE work on the bench and a hypertrophy oriented exercise to finish that day off, followed by a week of rest, followed by 3-4 weeks of ME training on the bench and no hypertrophy specific training. This seems like a good idea to me, but it might just be my latent metrosexuality deluding me into believing that I have an actual, legitimate reason to feel the notorious "pump." Maybe I'll start a thread to get some more feedback to avoid potentially wasting my time.

Today poo and I finally worked out together again. Well, we sure did the opposite as far as actual excercises because I did some crap he did yesterday and he did some crap I did yesterday and all that. We drank water, listened to "Love like... Electrocution" a few times and didn't work out too hard at all.

Power Cleans 01-31-2006

I just wanted to do more than Hulk because he doesn't know how to clean at all and we learned how to clean without him with perfect Olympic form like a bunch of cool guys. So the low reps are because I was just trying to show off, on this log. Seriously.

115x5
145x3x3
165x0

I couldn't do it.

Farmer Walk

100 feet x 90lbs in each hand x 3

I should have added more weight. Wow. Farmer Walks totally tear the grip right out of your hand.

Wide Grip Srhugs

205x5 which was a bad idea.
135x10x3

One arm snatches

50x10x2

The biggest dumbell we have is a 50, so it had to do. I think I can do more but by this point in the game my grip was straight up leaving my behind.

In other news, The Basement has ordered a set of trainer, number one, and number two, and that $12 thing that supposively makes it harder from Captains of Crush.

And the WristMaster 3000 really is a weak machine.

Core 2-1-06

3 Way Inclined Sit-ups

+30x12
+35x9
+35x9

Russian Twists

55x10
65x7
70x6

Ab Pulldowns

120x10
140x8
160x5

I started to feel like hip flexors were going to hate me in the morning, which worried me; I don't want any distractions come squat time this Friday. At first I though, "Contrast shower! Duh!" No worries there, right? Then it slowly dawned on me. No way am I going to inflict that much punishment on a muscle four inches from my wang. If I ever get to that level, I'll be sure to post a video of me contrast showering my groin for twenty reps so you can all be inspired. Today, though, I just went for a short whirl on the treadmill and stretched.

February 1, 2006

i don't much like bench. i don't know why. i just do not like it. it doesn't like me. we hate each other, but i think, in some ways, we need each other. so i bit the bullet and got on the bench.

(sets)x(reps)x(weight in lbs)

BENCH
5x10x115

i did these very slowly except for the first set- i did that set kory style.

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
3x7x115

bing said to turn down the music.

PUSHUPS
3x?x0

i don't know exactly how we ended up on the floor doing these. i do know that we looked up form with the ibook and found a website about making your kids do their age in pushups or something like that. so we tried to do our age. i think i started out about 20 years old, but i ended up 14. i don't want to be big.

DIPS
3x?x0

done.

I really hate posting these logs. I like the gym and I like working out, but I just don't like coming on sherdog and posting this crap. But when people write things I guess it's okay. Just not when _I_ write things, yaknowwhatimean? We listened to "Love like... Electrocution" and I drank water that we stole from the back of Cindi's Explorer because the supply was exhausted.

I did what poo did, except I did Reverse Grip Bench instead of Close Grip.

(weight) x (reps) x (sets)
95x5x3

And I did 10&6&4 on the dips.

Tommorow: Boys Night Out!

Friday: Squats!

Back