How much training would it take for top pro boxers to completely dominate the UFC?

Most of them would get KOed with headkicks. Boxing is not the same as MMA striking.

They would need a couple years of MMA training like mostly any MMA fighter.

A lot of the top boxers are as good at boxing as they are because they've been doing it a really long time. Maybe the #10 ranked boxer in a random division would be way better at MMA than the #3 ranked guy. It would be a case by case thing. Some guys would probably never be good at MMA because their skills and attributes are more specific to boxing. Someone like GGG or Canelo would be straight busting heads as soon as they learned a bit. Can you imagine a Tony Ferguson in a punching exchange with Canelo? Shieee.

Last edited:
Traditional boxing doesn't translate well to actual fighting, so boxers will never/could never dominate the sport.

And LOL at boxers having the best athletes in combat sports. They don't even scratch the top 5.

Seriously? What other combat sports have better athletes? The answer is none.

5 years, 7 months, 2 weeks and 1 day...after which they would be dominant.

There is a very high chance they wouldn't dominate anything in MMA no matter how much they 'train'

MMA is not for everyone.

Wrestling is definitely not for everyone.

MMA striking, is not for everyone

Most of them would get KOed with headkicks. Boxing is not the same as MMA striking.

I'm inclined to disagree with this and I'll tell you why. Strikers respond to movements of the torso region. It's easier to read where a punch is heading (EDIT: maybe I should say THAT a STRIKE is coming) if I'm looking at your torso/chest than anything else. As soon as a kick starts to be thrown, you might not read it as a kick initially, but you see the muscles move and you know a strike is coming, whether it be fists or feet, headed for the legs, body or head, you see that an attack is coming, and boxers seem to have pretty good muscle memory and ability to read body movement.

Oddly enough I was better at the sacrifice throws than the trips and traditional throws.

BTW, since I've got a guy with some judo experience, you ever get gi burns when rondorying (why the fuck can i not remember how to spell that word? lmao)? Now THEM SHITS ARE A NIGHTMARE! lol

Top boxers would be well advised to keep boxing. They might score a few highlight reel KOs in MMA but would rack up a lot of losses to wrestlers. Why leave the top of one sport for the mid tier at best of another sport?

None

Pro Boxers make Gang Busters more than nearly any MMA fighter 99% of the time.

Why would they down grade themselves to MMA Pay? When they're old and worthwhile anymore.

So they're not Proboxers no more, just on the verge of retirement.

Look when she turned to MMA she was ranked #2 in the world, w/ 19 championships, but her Boxing path was weird in that her two coaches, one is a kickboxer, the other is a grappling guy. What do these two fucks Jackson/Wink have anything to do with Boxing? She Boxed in a MMA gym, some would say the top 3 MMA gym in the world.

She accumulated 10 MMA wins, and Blessed us all by taking down the Monster that is Ronda, but now we see her "losing her step", she looks slow, and out of her prime, after only 1 mega fight?

Holly is past her prime, she did grant us a grand performance and Slayed the Troll before she looked run down,

Holly Bless
giphy.gif

But she's past her prime.

This is not to put down MMA. MMA is my favourite sport. However it is not mainstream yet but I feel it will become so. Boxing has fighters from literally every country and much more which means that they would have better athletes. This would give a huge advantage. For example imagine if Lesnar had two years to train for MMA before his debut and he didn't get injured. He could have dominated the division. Boxing has tons of guys like Brock

ufc just sold for more than any other sports franchise in history and you still think its not mainstream?

wake up

This is not to put down MMA. MMA is my favourite sport. However it is not mainstream yet but I feel it will become so. Boxing has fighters from literally every country and much more which means that they would have better athletes. This would give a huge advantage. For example imagine if Lesnar had two years to train for MMA before his debut and he didn't get injured. He could have dominated the division. Boxing has tons of guys like Brock

MMA is mainstream. Boxing isn't.

There was Pac man and Mayweather. Everything else was a footnote.

Everybody and their mom knows who Honda, Connie, GSP, Brock, etc. are.

It would take several years for a boxer to have a really good chance at becoming a Champion.

The general stat is that it's about a 65 to 70% chance that a grappler would beat a striker. Hence, the term "punchers chance".

It would be difficult for a boxer to pick up enough wrestling to stuff a DIvision I level wrestler.

there not going to dominate unless they already had some background in grappling. its an entirley different kind of strength and endurance and it takes years to build not to mention the skills necessary to use it once you have developed it.

ufc just sold for more than any other sports franchise in history and you still think its not mainstream?

wake up

Read my post and use your brain. Just because it's popular with fans doesn't mean it's a mainstream sport for participation. Participation follows popularity. At the moment it's very hard to train MMA in the majority of the world. There are boxing gyms in every country in the world. It will catch up hopefully as boxing loses popularity but it's not there yet.

Read my post and use your brain. Just because it's popular with fans doesn't mean it's a mainstream sport for participation. Participation follows popularity. At the moment it's very hard to train MMA in the majority of the world. There are boxing gyms in every country in the world. It will catch up hopefully as boxing loses popularity but it's not there yet.

ok. so mma is not mainstream because there isn't a ufc gym in the amazon. got it.

The beauty of mma is that if you're one dimensional its easy to strategy. If you put a top boxer in the cage, guys will shoot in or even worst case scenario pull guard.

You have to really dedicate years of training towards your weakness in order to be able to use your strength.

Look at werdum. Nobody with a brain wants anything to do with him on the ground. He had to get good at striking to get Cain to panic wrestle, leading him right into a submission. Maia is another example, his ground game opened up his striking which makes him a little more well rounded and able to get in close. Or you can really work on avoiding your weakness like JDS

Back