How much training would it take for top pro boxers to completely dominate the UFC?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dublin, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

ok so we all know that boxing has the best athletes out of all the combat sports in the world. If boxers jump straight into MMA they will get their ass handed to them but how much training would it take for them to completely embarrass the rest of the roster? I would say in two years training these a level athletes(who already have so much combat experience) would dominate the sport. In one year you would have some guys that are good enough to be champ but not completely dominant.

2. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

A lot of training. Years of it.

Where you even coming up with these numbers from? Are you just trying to insult MMA fighters? Anyone who says all a boxer needs to do is learn to sprawl and he'll be the champ exposes themselves as someone who doesn't really understand the sport

3. camelfarmer1

camelfarmer1 Green Belt

65 years of BJJ, wrestling, defending against kicks and touch butt.

4. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

didn't you make a thread like this a week ago?

5. Abazzdeboom

Abazzdeboom Legend in the making

Hunt is the closest realistic living example but never reallly dominate
    Beside that it depends of the boxer's background, brain etc

6. Shael

Shael Silver Belt

Couple of weeks of DVD instructionals.

opie, jjresq, freakyfarley and 4 others like this.
  7. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

That was more of a wrestling vs boxing and the lack of respect some people give boxing. This is more about if you gave an elite athlete with combat experience a few years would they dominate. They are similar I will give you that but I think that other thread got off to the wrong foot so I couldn't really get that much discussion

8. NeverAgainPlaya

NeverAgainPlaya Purple Belt

An elite striker is always going to find some success in the cage, but to be truly elite in all facets, they're going to need at least - IMO - 3-5 years of HARDCORE wrestling, BJJ and Judo. Of the three, having trained all three (at different points in life), I think wrestling is the most taxing on the body while Judo is the hardest to grasp in regard to refining technique. Some of the throws you learn - ESPECIALLY suicide throws - are NOT easy to master.

freakyfarley and Sparkie like this.
  9. zach lasseter

zach lasseter Buttscoot boogie

They wouldn't dominate. Elite wrestlers hold their krypyonite

10. 777 Others

777 Others Purple Belt

All the training......they would need all the training

11. kumitechamp

kumitechamp Green Belt

Too many years of training to make it not worth even trying if they are already a top pro boxer. It takes longer to make it to the top of pro boxing. The top guys all have 30+ pro fights and a lifetime of training. They also most likely love it and wouldnt want to do anything else. I think we will soon see some great boxers transition but not top guys I just dont see how it would make sense to waste years of a prime boxing career.

12. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

This is not to put down MMA. MMA is my favourite sport. However it is not mainstream yet but I feel it will become so. Boxing has fighters from literally every country and much more which means that they would have better athletes. This would give a huge advantage. For example imagine if Lesnar had two years to train for MMA before his debut and he didn't get injured. He could have dominated the division. Boxing has tons of guys like Brock

13. Dana_is_your_GOD

Dana_is_your_GOD Banned Banned

Tree fiddy years

14. zach lasseter

zach lasseter Buttscoot boogie

Oddly enough I was better at the sacrifice throws than the trips and traditional throws.

15. LMNT

LMNT Green Belt

I believe we have not yet seen a fighter with the speed of prime Roy Jones Jr yet in the ufc..

It would all depend on how good their takedown defense is and how easily they learn and adapt + genetics etc etc.. Like everything else some people would progress quicker than others. From months to years.

16. Fincher7

Fincher7 Purple Belt

Boxing in MMA is not the same as pure boxing, there's certain things they'd have to stop doing.

Like head ducking is common in boxing but would see you eat a knee in MMA.

BearGrounds and streetscience like this.
  17. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

They don't need great wrestling to stop elite wrestlers. Like with bjj. It is much easier learning to stop someone submitting you than learning how to submit someone else

18. JustBleed69

JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Brown Belt

Traditional boxing doesn't translate well to actual fighting, so boxers will never/could never dominate the sport.

And LOL at boxers having the best athletes in combat sports. They don't even scratch the top 5.

Laystitcher and PriestPaiMei like this.
  19. Madbomber

Madbomber Blue Belt

They just have to train by eating burgers. Just ask James Toney.

20. NeverAgainPlaya

NeverAgainPlaya Purple Belt

I had a fucking nightmare of a time with them. I can't even count how many times I just dumped myself. But I'll say this, in the beginning, I had the biggest bitch of a time grasping VERY basic shit - we're talking Ouchi Gari's and Osoto Gari's and shit - just simple throws and trips - the first few days of training, I had two left feet with REALLY basic shit. Then it clicked and it felt like I'd been using those kinds of throws forever. That's when I excelled really quickly. Until the got damn sacrifice was introduced to me. My dumbest move was attempting one while rondori'ing (SP?). I think I got choked out in about 7 seconds after that utter failure lmao.