Social how long has this cultural and political divide been going on in the US?

Papi, it's like 50 percent of Republicans that accept gay marriage nowadays though. Things are changing.
I agree that things are changing. And that there are republicans that bought into cultural Marxist ideas as well

Eventually though, those calling you a Nazi will be called that themselves. The left is eating itself alive. The next 'thing' will be 'trans-species' and if you don't believe that Mike Jones from California (who identifies as a dolphin) should be allowed to rape, steal and murder because, as a dolphin, he isn't bound by human law.......you will be a Nazi.

The same feminist leftists calling people Nazis will find themselves in the firing line themselves, when they don't want their children to be sexually abused by the Virtuous Paedophile Movement.

It’s the right too though If I mention I’m open to some of Bernie’s ideas I’m labeled a communist. I’ll go from being called a fascist to communist in like 5 mins talking to people. Goes back to “if you don’t agree 100% with me you’re the enemy” mentality. It’s a dangerous way to think.

Maybe there is some truth to DARPA’s “Lifelog” morphing into Facebook.

It’s the right too though If I mention I’m open to some of Bernie’s ideas I’m labeled a communist. I’ll go from being called a fascist to communist in like 5 mins talking to people. Goes back to “if you don’t agree 100% with me you’re the enemy” mentality. It’s a dangerous way to think.

It's a very..................................religious, way of thinking. The new religion.

The current iteration has been going on since the Civil Rights Era. In the past, people were open about the racial hierarchy issues -- either you were for/against slavery. Or you were for/against integration. In recent years however, the core racial issue is no longer openly discussed and other political issues has become proxies for that conversation.

The reason it seems like things have become less civil is because social media has allowed more people to discuss things with people they otherwise wouldn't engage. In the past, an inner city teacher would never have a discussion with a rural store owner so their wide ranging political differences would stay hidden from each other. In their individual communities, they would be surrounded by like minded individuals and largely only discuss whatever political topic TV news or talk radio put in front of them. Now, the school teacher will post on social media and the rural store owner will respond. Now they can have the argument that distance previously prevented them from having and without the filtering process that national news was providing.

Social media didn't create the difference in opinion between the two but it made it possible for them to actually argue their differences directly.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. People cannot resolve differences if they don't know what the other person thinks and social media has changed that. People can argue more but they are also learning more about other people. It's the sort of thing that can either lead to greater understanding as people work past their differences or greater divide if people learn nothing from other people's perspective.

to that end, it's not an issue that's going to resolve itself in 1-2 decades. Pretty much everyone above 30 has their core positions established and they're just arguing about why they think they're right. But it's the future generations, for whom social media debate and argument are how they grow up, who will dictate whether or not they can form a national identity via these tools.

Dude, that pendulum has literally swung in the opposite direction. You have whole swaths of white, middle-America in these dying towns that think the system is rigged against them. These are the people that propelled Trump into the White House.
The difference is that the liberal rejects that live in the city actually have nearly limitless economic opportunity but choose to ignore them. In rural USA, if you don't own or lease land or are involved in the ever shrinking (for regular people) agricultural industry, then you are SOL.

Should stupid unemployed rednecks move to more population dense areas to find opportunity? Of course they should, but that doesn't change what the situation is between rural and urban America.

it was always there but not this violent or extreme. These levels started Mostly Since Bush Jr
Got worse in Obama times
Multiplied a 100 fold in trump and Biden eras

Always? Andrew Jackson said just before he died that his only regret was not shooting the vice president.

Thomas Jefferson had a notorious feud with John Adams that led to the 2 friends not speaking to each other for 12 years.

In the modern era I would say the divide began really began ramping up with during the Clinton administration.

I agree that things are changing. And that there are republicans that bought into cultural Marxist ideas as well
Everything is Marxist / Cultural Marxist with you guys. Rightwingers were demonizing the Civil Rights movement of the 50s/60s as Marxist. Anytime the hegemony of White male patriarchy is perceived to be under threat you guys trot out the "Marxist" accusation.

It's been nurtured and cultivated for quite a while, but it definitely got more explicit in the past couple decades. We had the rise of the social media, the first black President, and then the first social media President. When you live in a prosperous but deeply unequal country it's pretty easy to paint people as the "other" who is ruining everything.

Conservative AM radio played an instrumental role in created this seething anger and resentment.

During the Clinton years, the rightwing really turned up the anger. Rush and some Conservative radio hosts nurtured and amplfied the division.

The recent polarization started in 2015-2016 ish. In 2012, 2013, 2014 things were much better. Stupid political bs dominates everything now and you can’t just have a conversation.

It’s out to destroy the cultural tradition of family and marriage between a biological man and woman

But traditions and cultures change all the time and I see no real good reason not to allow to people of the same sex to get married if they're in love, take the necessary vows, etc. I mean, it's not like heterosexual marriages do not have a very high divorce rate or anything........

Everything is Marxist / Cultural Marxist with you guys. Rightwingers were demonizing the Civil Rights movement of the 50s/60s as Marxist. Anytime the hegemony of White male patriarchy is perceived to be under threat you guys trot out the "Marxist" accusation.

I'm black. The civil rights movement and forced integration hurt us more than anyone. And that was by design. But please carry on.

It's pretty much matched the growth of digitalization of culture, seems to me, since late 90's.

How many sherdogers in this video blaming Obama for everything lol?

IDK but from my experience here in Argentina we had the same thing around 2008 and it started to go down after the 2015 elections and even less after 2019. There is still some tension from time to time but most people grew out of the conflict because both side fucked us pretty badly so we decided to let them take turns.

It was extremely familiar for me to see the exact same thing happening to you guys in the last years.. but americans managed it to bring the whole thing to a new crazy level.

Back