Social how long has this cultural and political divide been going on in the US?

I know there has always been tension between the right and left, but in the past few years or so it’s been more cutthroat than ever, it seems, With no signs of slowing down and less and less bipartisan topics existing in the cultural conversation.

It seems like every single topic, concept, or ideology has become binary: Either something that aligns with the left or on the right. And if someone supports it, the other side criticizes them heavily.

I feel like not that long ago, maybe 2011 or so, it was perfectly reasonable and quite normal to have opinions from both sides. Now it seems people are Shuttling more and more to the side that aligns more closely with them and discarding some of their former ideas that a line with the opposite side.

When did this all start? And what do you think made it All start? I know this has been asked quite a few times, but it seems like so many people still deny that there’s a divide in this country.

I think it really began in earnest with Newt Gingrich in the mid 90's. I think he was the first huge asshole and resigned in discrase if I remember correctly. What we see now in an evolution of his tactics.

I would say around 2004. I remember the left pushed 9-11 conspiracy theories, claimed Bush was the next Hitler and other nonsense. I remember Alec Baldwin and other celebrities said that they would move out of America if Bush was reelected.After Obama was elected , the right started push conspiracy theories that Obama was a Muslim, that he was gay, that Michelle was a man, and other nonsense. I pretty much stopped paying attention to politics around the 2016 election.

Well for a few decades at least, to a point.

However it's risen exponentially since social media has been around.

I first noticed it in 2008 when as a young college kid if you didn't vote for Obama you were racist, no other answers accepted.

And Bush was Hitler was pretty popular, too

I know there has always been tension between the right and left, but in the past few years or so it’s been more cutthroat than ever, it seems, With no signs of slowing down and less and less bipartisan topics existing in the cultural conversation.

It seems like every single topic, concept, or ideology has become binary: Either something that aligns with the left or on the right. And if someone supports it, the other side criticizes them heavily.

I feel like not that long ago, maybe 2011 or so, it was perfectly reasonable and quite normal to have opinions from both sides. Now it seems people are Shuttling more and more to the side that aligns more closely with them and discarding some of their former ideas that a line with the opposite side.

When did this all start? And what do you think made it All start? I know this has been asked quite a few times, but it seems like so many people still deny that there’s a divide in this country.

Probably ever since the Republican party was started to end slavery and all the Democrats that owned the plantations were not exactly fans of the idea.

honestly didn't go full above ground until somewhere around 2013-15, the Left began to aggressively push and/or side with identity politics and particularly relating to trans issues. That is frankly what kind of radicalized me (on the Right). I have always been right wing but the moment they starting pushing for allowing dudes in dresses to use same facilities as women: locker-rooms, restrooms. Basically the moment Obama's 2nd term kicked off the divide really started becoming deep and intense and fairly irreconcilable via standard political avenues of expression.

Try as I might, I can't imagine how we are not going to end up in a national divorce.

Around Obamas 2nd term. When people realized he really was just another shitty president . It then became about race . The Right ate it up while the left refused to accept it. Couple that with the rise of social media and here you are.

Yeah, I just made a post saying started really severely at kick-off of Obama 2nd term. In fact, the more I think about it, the more Obama 2nd term has a particular salience for me on this topic. Our Republic really began to tear apart when just after legalized gay marriage the Left basically said, "Alright we got this, now let's take it all the way. Let's finish what we started in the 60s."

I'd say shit went off the deep end in 2013 - 2015. When all the sudden people thought it was optional to obey the police.

It got pretty intense during the 1860's.

First, there's no reason to misrepresent what you said:

I asked you to establish that with something concrete. You still have not.

As for what I said --
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/black-progress-how-far-weve-come-and-how-far-we-have-to-go/
https://www.rand.org/pubs/papers/P6055.html
https://www.epi.org/publication/50-years-after-the-kerner-commission/#
https://www.nber.org/system/files/chapters/c8913/c8913.pdf

You can go down the rabbit hole and read for yourself. Some things got worse, such as the availability of black teachers, some things remained the same, but overall black America is better positioned than they were pre-segregation.

Bruh...

From your own link:

• With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.
Again, you'r claim was that forced integration was necessary for black people to improve economically. According to your own link: 60 yrs later we have less home ownership, higher unemployment, and triple the incarceration rate.

^ This isn't success or 'progress'. This isn't being 'better positioned'. Its the exact opposite lol. Again, you're assertion is completely false and unsubstantiated.

My claim was that forced integration cut black America off at the knees and have locked us into the bottom rung of society. You asked me for substantiation. Here you go:

• With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.
https://www.epi.org/publication/50-years-after-the-kerner-commission/

You have failed to provide any evidence or compelling arguments that forced integration was a good and necessary thing. What you have shown with hood own links is that at the very least forced integration has been ineffective.

Last edited:
Since 1776.
People forgot about the Civil War? Civil Rights Movement? Vietnam War? Other stuff I cant think of.
I remember walking into a CD store 15 years ago and they had countdown clocks to when President Bush officially wasn't President.
This isnt new.

Early 90’s. But really it started with the fake civil rights movement.

It started with the “racism” bullshit that the news and tv shows started shoving down our throats.

All of those America hating college kids from the 90’s eventually made it to the newsrooms and political office and here we are.

Then our beloved govt opened the floodgates to third world foreigners in the early 2000’s.

Before that everyone stayed to themselves.

No.

Just based on YOUR POSTS ON HERE from the past week, we can see that the civil rights movement is still need, and that the racism that is discussed is occurring.

Back