How is Khabib hype diffferent from the "Machida era"?

My join date is before yours, so chances are I was...

Machida had a small cult following before the UFC. The joke was "who is Lyoto Machida" as he had wins over BJ Penn and Franklin, both UFC stars, yet Machida was some undefeated karate nobody essentially.

The first 3-4 guys Machida beat in the UFC were cans. He was a decision fighter that looked untouchable with his parries. It wasn't until he started KOing guys that everyone jumped on his nuts full steam. The "machida era' was then in full swing" for all of 2 fights.

He then fought Shogun in a fight many thought he lost (I thought he won). They instantly ran it back and he got KO'd flat in the first round and that was the end of that.

Machida was never "hyped by everyone to be the goat". that is revisionist history by mouth breathers.
I think you forget how strong the Machida love was around here before he fought Rashad.

Khabib never defended the belt. He won a fake belt beating #11 and then beat Conor. Tony Ferguson holds the real belt
Tony only beat the guy the number 11 guy beat twice, so Khabib holds the only belt and Tony holds Tony.

The styles are almost opposite of each other.

Kebab won the belt by beating Al Iaquinta

He had defended once against Conor

He also arguably lost to Gleison Tibau of all people because he couldn't do anything

Can we stop over-rating this guy who is undefeated with 20+ fights because literally half of them are against guys who were making their pro debuts?
Some people say Jones arguably lost to Gus as well. Both Jones and Khabib are undefeated though, sorry.

Khabib better just call it quits now, otherwise he will get beat like all the rest.

I like most others was completely memorized by the effectiveness of Machida's style. It proved to be very effective over a large sample size. But he was NEVER Khabib.

Khabib is a generational fighter. He is simply someone very clearly a cut above the rest.

Khabib is one of the most dominant guys in the mma history, there is no comparison to be made
Khebab has 5 quality opponents. Record is filled with nobodys. He has been dominant though.

Because Machida never acted like he was going to be some sort of boxing star? Because Khabib doesn't drink piss? I dunno, there's a lot of options but mainly Khabib has turned into a prima donna fuckwad whereas Machida didn't.

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?
Machilda was very active fighter and earned his hype with fighting anyone in octagon. He also had unique interesting style. Khabib should fight more often and clear the division. If he can do it.
Khabib has 11 ufc fights in nearly 8 years. Machilda had same amount of fights in 4 years.

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?

All these people being defensive towards Machida and Khabib.

Khabib has a long way to go before cementing himself as LW goat.

Machida arguably lost his first title defense and actually lost his 2nd one to the same person

All these people being defensive towards Machida and Khabib.

Khabib has a long way to go before cementing himself as LW goat.

Machida arguably lost his first title defense and actually lost his 2nd one to the same person
Lmao. No, he doesn't. One defense against Ferguson makes him arguably the LW GOAT. 2 more hypothetical defenses for a total of 3 makes him the inarguable LW GOAT, since he matches the number of defenses BJ Penn had while at the same staying undefeated and having hypothetically beaten Ferguson with his amazing winning streak.

Lmao. No, he doesn't. One defense against Ferguson makes him arguably the LW GOAT. 2 more hypothetical defenses for a total of 3 makes him the inarguable LW GOAT, since he matches the number of defenses BJ Penn had while at the same staying undefeated and having hypothetically beaten Ferguson with his amazing winning streak.

Who has he beat at LW????

Conor? Who had zero fights at LW before fighting Alvarez and zero fights before Khabib?
Iaquinta? A solid fighter but has never been top 5
Barboza? Johnson?

I think you forget how strong the Machida love was around here before he fought Rashad.

you summed it up yourself though. It was "love" aka, some hype from the mouth breathers. Look at the forum after every PPV. Every time a new champion wins there is talk about how they are now the goat. machida had hype, there is no doubt about it. He absolutely didn't have consensus as the goat and some unrivaled fighter that will retire undefeated and be god tier though. that is 100% revisionist history.

People are still so salty about Khabib after what he did to McGregor.

Let it go.

Back