How is Khabib hype diffferent from the "Machida era"?

Kebab won the belt by beating Al Iaquinta

He had defended once against Conor

He also arguably lost to Gleison Tibau of all people because he couldn't do anything

Can we stop over-rating this guy who is undefeated with 20+ fights because literally half of them are against guys who were making their pro debuts?

When Machida won the belt Jon Jones had 2 fights in the UFC.

"What threats are there at LHW right now". Given how title shots at 155 are given out we might never find out.

I don't know this.
believe it or not, Jones hype started that early. People were declaring his future GOAT status even from this point on just based on his innate distance mastery and movement. The veterans were all watching him with a wary gaze.

Machida era was only when he was champ.

It's been Khabib Time for a long time.

Nobody considered him the best fighter in the best fighter in the division and nobody does. We all know it is Tony Ferguson. Khabib is a coward, using any and all excuses to run from him.

I'm happy to admit Khabib is not an undisputed champ, but I have considered him the best LW on the planet for many years and won ALOT of money betting on him.

Khabib vs Tony must happen though to silence the critics like yourself.

Machida was never considered to be a GOAT during his run. He was 'the riddle to be figured out'

Bullshit. Machida was outed as the perfect Martial Artist, not just by shertards, but many pros talked about how he was going to retire undefeated etc.

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?

So we’ll wait and see.

The idea is that both began their reigns a few fights before they actually won the belt.
They reached a place more impressive than the champion some 3-4 fights before they became champ.
So both definitely were phenomenal and the ‘era’ concept is legit.

Nobody was an actual Khabib fan. They knew his track record and knew he would be a terrible champion. They just wanted Conor to lose.

He has probably seizured into his last weight cut and will disappear and be forgotten within a year.

People make fun of the "machida era", but he got the lhw title, in a stacked division, with an undefeated record, which i'm pretty sure was a first at that time.
The guy Machida beat for the championship, Rashad Evans, was undefeated before we were blessed with the Rashad face.

Khabibs era is basically ducking D1 wrestlers and cutting shit loads of weight to fight smaller men

Khabib is one of the most dominant guys in the mma history, there is no comparison to be made

The guy Machida beat for the championship, Rashad Evans, was undefeated before we were blessed with the Rashad face.
My bad, but if anything, that made machida even more incredible.

Bullshit. Machida was outed as the perfect Martial Artist, not just by shertards, but many pros talked about how he was going to retire undefeated etc.

No, he wasn't. That was just the same mouth breathing retards that declare every new champ 'teh goat' after every PPV.

There where points in Machida's fights leading up to the belt where he looked very beatable.
Such as?

Besides the BJ fight I recall Machida tearing thru everyone including Rich Franklin, Tito, undeafeted Thiago Silva and Stephan Bonner and no one being able to hit him.

Khabib time and Machida era could run the same or different , time will tell.

Khabib might not even come back and just do Russian events

Or he comes back dominates everyone and retires undefeated

No, he wasn't. That was just the same mouth breathing retards that declare every new champ 'teh goat' after every PPV.
That is false and you should know it with a 2006 join date.

Many fighters have been hyped up.

Machida hype was another level.

Fighters and Dana and Rogan, his opponents were saying he was unlike other fighters.

Tito said "it was like fighting a ghost, I couldn't find him in there".

And on top of that people on this forum were calling him the next big thing before he even set foot in the octagon. He had flatlined Franklin who was the top of a short list for MW goat before Anderson came along.

Yes, he was. Perhaps you weren't following the sport before Machida came to UFC, but there were tons of people, not just shertards saying it. To say it didn't happen because you didn't witness it is, well, kinda dumb.

Yes, he was. Perhaps you weren't following the sport before Machida came to UFC, but there were tons of people, not just shertards saying it. To say it didn't happen because you didn't witness it is, well, kinda dumb.

My join date is before yours, so chances are I was...

Machida had a small cult following before the UFC. The joke was "who is Lyoto Machida" as he had wins over BJ Penn and Franklin, both UFC stars, yet Machida was some undefeated karate nobody essentially.

The first 3-4 guys Machida beat in the UFC were cans. He was a decision fighter that looked untouchable with his parries. It wasn't until he started KOing guys that everyone jumped on his nuts full steam. The "machida era' was then in full swing" for all of 2 fights.

He then fought Shogun in a fight many thought he lost (I thought he won). They instantly ran it back and he got KO'd flat in the first round and that was the end of that.

Machida was never "hyped by everyone to be the goat". that is revisionist history by mouth breathers.

Back