How is Khabib hype diffferent from the "Machida era"?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?

It'll really be the same when Conor KOs him in the rematch

Machida was never considered to be a GOAT during his run. He was 'the riddle to be figured out'

Khabib even before he was champion was considered the best fighter in the division. The only thing they have in common is that they are both undefeated when winning the belt.

Machida’s style was new and “innovative” vs khabib’s style that was used over and over again by previous fighters.

People make fun of the "machida era", but he got the lhw title, in a stacked division, with an undefeated record, which i'm pretty sure was a first at that time. And even today, he's considered one of the greatest strikers in mma. He retired Couture, smoked mousasi, and gave us Shadface. Throw some hespect on his name.

Conor never did the stanky leg

Machida was never considered to be a GOAT during his run. He was 'the riddle to be figured out'.

To be fair as well beyond Shogun and Jones I think Machida might have dominated for awhile, the Rampage and Davis fights were both close and with a bit more motivation and maybe hype influencing judges he could well not have lost to anyone else until Weidman.

You also I'd argue had a significant shift in LHW around the turn of the decade were it became much more common for larger fighters to duck HW and fight in the division instead, Lyoto was clearly far smaller than Jones, Bader and Davis.

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?

Why don’t you explain why it’s going end up the same?

To be fair as well beyond Shogun and Jones I think Machida might have dominated for awhile, the Rampage and Davis fights were both close and with a bit more motivation and maybe hype influencing judges he could well not have lost to anyone else until Weidman.

You also I'd argue had a significant shift in LHW around the turn of the decade were it became much more common for larger fighters to duck HW and fight in the division instead, Lyoto was clearly far smaller than Jones, Bader and Davis.

Yeah, at his size (6'1", with a 74-inch reach), Lyoto was moreso a natural 185er. Could have even cut to 170 too, if he had really wanted to.

People make fun of the "machida era", but he got the lhw title, in a stacked division, with an undefeated record, which i'm pretty sure was a first at that time. And even today, he's considered one of the greatest strikers in mma. He retired Couture, smoked mousasi, and gave us Shadface. Throw some hespect on his name.

Oh I think Machida's one of the greatest ever but I also know most people don't feel that way while Khabib/Tony is the most popular fighter in Sherdog history, wonder why people are so confident? I just don't know why people are so confident that Khabib(assuming he keeps fighting) can't lose to Tony or someone(please not Conor anyone but him)? Shogun was the dude who lost to Forrest and who was resigned to being washed up in his mid 20s.

Machida was never considered to be a GOAT during his run. He was 'the riddle to be figured out'

Khabib even before he was champion was considered the best fighter in the division. The only thing they have in common is that they are both undefeated when winning the belt.

Many though Machida was the future GOAT when he won the belt. Jones is really the only fighter i have seen that had more people calling him the future GOAT after winning the belt

Oh I think Machida's one of the greatest ever but I also know most people don't feel that way while Khabib/Tony is the most popular fighter in Sherdog history, wonder why people are so confident? I just don't know why people are so confident that Khabib(assuming he keeps fighting) can't lose to Tony or someone(please not Conor anyone but him)? Shogun was the dude who lost to Forrest and who was resigned to being washed up in his mid 20s.
I don't see why either. Khabib is a pure grappler who has benefited heavily from the lack of high level wrestlers in LW.

Many though Machida was the future GOAT when he won the belt. Jones is really the only fighter i have seen that had more people calling him the future GOAT after winning the belt

I wrote a long ass article in my HS paper about how Jones was the GOAT after he beat Machida. Everyone laughed at me.

Who's laughing now?

Khabib has been vastly more dominant in his victories.

Back