How is Khabib hype diffferent from the "Machida era"?

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?
Machida fought top ranked grapplers/wrestlers and strikers.

Khabib has yet to fight a top ranked fighter with wrestling. Something people are currently saying about Israel Adesanya for some reason when Khabib has like 3 times as many fights in the UFC and still has yet to do so either.

Using wrestling is much safer than relying on stand up. If you keep it standing most of the fight there is always the chance you could get caught and knocked out. Look how it worked out for Machida later in his career.

If you are a strong wrestler or grappler you are only in danger until you can close the distance and get hold of your opponent... then you can work your game.

I don't see much chance of Khabib getting knocked out working his GnP from the top positon.

So that's why I would consider it a much safer style... not saying it's a bad thing. I enjoy watching him fight. I just think he is less likely to lose than if he was a striker.
Machida relied on his speed and reflexes and quickness,which doesnt carry over well into old age. But he never stood in front of people for long amd never engaged when he didnt want to. Khabib on thr other hand has to go directly at his opponnents in q straight line always to get them to the ground and it costs alot of energy on each attempt,wether he gets it or not. Its not a much safer style,its brutality and domination.

Machida fought top ranked grapplers/wrestlers and strikers.

Khabib has yet to fight a top ranked fighter with wrestling. Something people are currently saying about Israel Adesanya for some reason when Khabib has like 3 times as many fights in the UFC and still has yet to do so either.

Who is this "top ranked fighter with wrestling" Khabib should fight? Lee? Lmao, is it Khabib's fault Lee can't crack the top 3? Or maybe Gillespie... who has yet to fight a top 5 opponent? Name this fighter Khabib needs to fight.

How are these hypes different, both undefeated when they became champ both with very memeable victories over the previous champion? How is Khabib's reign supposed to go any different than Machida's? Why am I supposed to believe that Khabib is the chosen one?

Machida fought a lot more often, didn't have long periods of inactivity from injuries (both had suspsensiona for different reasons, but machida was after his prime/title reign)

Who is this "top ranked fighter with wrestling" Khabib should fight? Lee? Lmao, is it Khabib's fault Lee can't crack the top 3? Or maybe Gillespie... who has yet to fight a top 5 opponent? Name this fighter Khabib needs to fight.

All of them.
In reality, he won the title from Al who gave him one of his toughest fights. He defended ONCE against Conor. He is so far from GOAT lol

In reality he has 4 quality wins and his fans trash one of them, so to his fans he really only has 3 quality wins...

He needs to develop a legacy because being undefeated and injured half his career isn't good enough to be GOAT lol

These type of threads are bothersome. Let the guy lose first.You might be right - maybe wrong. Let people believe what they want .... it's not like khabib is a Serra/Bisping type deal. The guy is a beast.

All of them.
In reality, he won the title from Al who gave him one of his toughest fights. He defended ONCE against Conor. He is so far from GOAT lol

In reality he has 4 quality wins and his fans trash one of them, so to his fans he really only has 3 quality wins...

He needs to develop a legacy because being undefeated and injured half his career isn't good enough to be GOAT lol
He is precisely 2 title defenses away from being the LW GOAT. If Khabib beats Ferguson and then another top 5 opponent like Poirier or Lee, he will have cleaned the entirety of LW top 5... while remaining undefeated. Who will be there to challenge his potential LW GOAT status?

Machida actually KO's people, does not dry hump them

He is precisely 2 title defenses away from being the LW GOAT. If Khabib beats Ferguson and then another top 5 opponent like Poirier or Lee, he will have cleaned the entirety of LW top 5... while remaining undefeated. Who will be there to challenge his potential LW GOAT status?

If you wanna say LW GOAT then maayyyybbeeee lol since the bar is so low....

GOAT of all? Never. He won't fight enough to be.

I'm also debating to debate, the term GOAT is subjective and literally means nothing, especially now

Machida actually KO's people, does not dry hump them

Ehhhhh similar.

Machida:
Engage machida, get KTFO
Don't, boring point fighting fight

Khabib:
Leave yourself open for GNP or sub, get finished
Hold guard or half and pray you survive, dry hump decision.

They're similar but opposites.

In truth, dominant wrestlers/gnpers are more likely to be able to implement their game than dominant strikers upon being "figured out", since wrestling has a significantly steeper curve than striking within an MMA context.

That's the main difference. Khabib's game has been understood for a while. Machida's was less understood at a similar point on his career arc.

He's in his prime and not older like Machida was, undeafeated, still relatively young and at the top which means at least a few more years of dominance.

Machida relied on his speed and reflexes and quickness,which doesnt carry over well into old age. But he never stood in front of people for long amd never engaged when he didnt want to. Khabib on thr other hand has to go directly at his opponnents in q straight line always to get them to the ground and it costs alot of energy on each attempt,wether he gets it or not. Its not a much safer style,its brutality and domination.

You could argue I spose Khabib is in an era without many truly deadly submission grapplers at their best, nobody on the level of a peak Aoki for example so Khabib has never had his equivalent to Fedor fighting Nog.

You could argue Fergerson could threat I spose but I wouldn't personally have him at that level grappling wise.

One of them faught activley . not to mention he was actually fighting.

Khabib turns the octagon into a ncaa match.. Barley fights not very exciting to watch him do much of anything.

Tbh I expected this thread to go the exact opposite way with people saying how dare I compare Machida to Khabib. Pleasantly surprised.

Back