How is conor so good at striking?????

Jose Aldo is clearly a better striker and it isn't even an argument.
I would say finishing fights via striking is the best criteria to judge a fighter's striking effectively.

Conor is one of, if not the best striking finisher in MMA, Aldo is technically great, but finishing fights it the best indicator and Aldo isn't on Conor's level in that respect.

I'm sure he does fine in practice but inside the cage not so much. 3 losses all via sub. He really hasn't shown much improvement in his ground game since he tapped out to Irish Joe Duffy. He's probably like Chael in that regard.
Oh please. He was legit terrible when he tapped to Duffy. He said he became obsessed with BJJ after that, and it shows. His BJJ is very serviceable at the moment.

He's a great striker. He needs work on defense but that's not his style.

he's got reach and a size advantage at his weight class and has fought dudes that strike for the most part. Only real wrestler was Chad on three weeks notice.

he's got reach and a size advantage at his weight class and has fought dudes that strike for the most part. Only real wrestler was Chad on three weeks notice.

Such BS

Dustan was bigger, Aldo and Holloway same size. Sivir and Mendes were smaller.

Ryan Hall, Dillon Danis, Eddie Bravo, Rener Gracie, Gunnar Nelson, Luke Thomas come to mind immediately. And they haven't just said it's "ok", they've used words like "amazing", "surprised how good he was", "very, very good."

The "lol but they've trained with him" cop out is just that, a lame cop out. How would someone who hasn't trained with him know how good he is, first of all? And second, no one forces his training partners to praise his BJJ -- common courtesy doesn't involve going out of your way to mention Conor and how great he is, it's more than possible to be non-committal and say something like "yea he's OK/pretty good/improving fast" if you're not impressed but don't want to be mean and you're asked about it.

If you're getting paid to train with someone, you usually don't say things like "he could use some work" or "We're shoring up some holes in his game" if you hope to continue being paid to train said person or anyone else for that matter. Because in this scenario, Conor is the customer/consumer of your services, and that would be a stupid business decision and poor customer service.
Working with the biggest UFC client looks pretty damn impressive, especially if it isn't a one-off type of deal.

Edit: And for the record, his jits isn't Holm-level, it just isn't up to the standard his striking sets.

Oh please. He was legit terrible when he tapped to Duffy. He said he became obsessed with BJJ after that, and it shows. His BJJ is very serviceable at the moment.
Can't argue there. He did tap twice to Diaz.

I would say finishing fights via striking is the best criteria to judge a fighter's striking effectively.

Conor is one of, if not the best striking finisher in MMA, Aldo is technically great, but finishing fights it the best indicator and Aldo isn't on Conor's level in that respect.

I think Aldo can be a finisher as well but probably pulls back a bit to avoid unnecessary damage and gassing.

Yeah, super relevant questions innit, ask about 1 out of 6 people (that you can google yourself, he's not really an elite elite grappler, "just" a black belt expert analyst) while disregarding the people who aren't Conor's training partners.

And no, "obviously" people who have trained with Conor won't sing his praises. I don't know what kind of ass-kissing gym you come from, but people don't usually say OMFG HES SO AMAZING just because they've trained with someone.... unless they actually think that person is amazing. Especially a ton of different people with different personalities. Ryan Hall especially is someone who wouldn't bullshit about things like that.

But sure, let's pretend all those people are flat out lying through their teeth and have no integrity whatsoever, while taking the word of random people on the internet that Conor's ground game is "soooooo bad." Can't change someone's mind who has an agenda and has already decided what to think.
I don't give a fuck if you think the question is relevant, I was curious, so I asked.
Also, stop building straw men. I never even claimed his ground game was shit. Still waiting to hear what Rener had to say about his grappling, as I'm genuinely curious. But I'll keep in mind that you think Luke Thomas is an elite level grappler!

I think Aldo can be a finisher as well but probably pulls back a bit to avoid unnecessary damage and gassing.
No doubt Aldo could finish more if he was willing to take the risks that Conor takes, but he isn't, so for me Conor is the better striker.

I don't give a fuck if you think the question is relevant, I was curious, so I asked.
Also, stop building straw men. I never even claimed his ground game was shit. Still waiting to hear what Rener had to say about his grappling, as I'm genuinely curious. But I'll keep in mind that you think Luke Thomas is an elite level grappler!
Luke Thomas is a BBJ black belt so his opinion isn't exactly irrelevant.

Luke Thomas is a BBJ black belt so his opinion isn't exactly irrelevant.
Yeah I most definitely wouldn't describe him as an "elite level grappler", that's for sure. But I'll certainly concede that Eddie Bravo is elite, and with nothing to gain in this, and Rener is definitely no scrub either.

No doubt Aldo could finish more if he was willing to take the risksthat Conor takes, but he isn't, so for me Conor is the better striker.

I think aldo is at times willing to take risks.

aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight-gif-2.gif

Im in no way a Conor fan, although he is a good fighter i do admit. Conor usually(he fought like a turd against nate) takes calculated "risks" as to lure you into his left hand. Id say Aldo takes the more risks with his striking, he just gets away with it due to other factors.

I agree conor is the better striker.

So McGregor is better than Cruz?

Back