How do you score a round like round 4 of Jones vs. Gus?

I give it to the person who won basically the whole round and had more than just one good flurry toward the end.

For Jones. The damage he did in the last minute and the level of dominance was far greater than anything Gus did in the first 4.

The bias with some of you is so thick, take a round like round 2 which was way more of a toss up round. Yet most of those calling Round 4 10-10 have no doubt at all in giving Gus round 2 10-9.

Overall I had it
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Jones

49-48 Gus. That's a damn close fight no matter how you slice it.

The bias with some of you is so thick, take a round like round 2 which was way more of a toss up round. Yet most of those calling Round 4 10-10 have no doubt at all in giving Gus round 2 10-9.

Not everybody.

Well, let's see. Gustafsson dominated 80%+ of the 4th round and Jones dominated 20%, where he didn't even get a knockdown. You be the judge. Pretty simple to me to factor out. Jones couldn't finish him and got shoved to the ground like a little child after the spinning elbow that rocked Alex + follow-up knees and a takedown attempt.

Gus really didn't do much for the first four minutes besides have white skin.

That round should have went to Gus. I'd give it to Jones if there was a knockdown.

I'd give it to Jones every time. Gus may have won most of the round but Jones minute or so was more significant. It's a fight and hurting someone is more significant than landing a few more strikes that have no effect.

Had Gus taking it until the end obviously. Still had it 3-2 for Gus. It saved the belt for JBJ though.

Just finished watching the replay they just showed on Fox Sports 1. I would have to give Gus the 4th round. The elbow that Jones landed was significant, but Gus blocked a lot of the follow-up after the elbow. I think Gus was having his best moments of the fight for the first four minutes of that round, landing several significant shots. But what a great fight! I didn't catch round 2 on the replay, but I scored round 1 for Jones, a draw for round 3, Gus had round 4, and Jones had round 5.

Why do you Gus fans make up these types of lies? Damn you must really hate Jones? Gus controlled round 4 handily for the first 4 minutes MY ASS.

I don't know/care who won rd 4, but that rd was easily the easiest to score of any rd for the first 4 minutes. Gus was cruising. BUt its entirely possible that jones rocking him was enough to take it the last minute.

this is a typical mma myth.

i watched the fight the next day and came on sherdog before i watched it.

i expected the 4th round to be a round where gus had jones almost finished and jones threw a hailmary elbow based on what i read...lol

gus was winning the round but jones was landing + pressing the action + in no danger of being finished.

it wasnt 4 minutes of domination vs 1 elbow like i was led to believe.

add that to the fact that the 1 elbow was the most significant strike of the ENTIRE fight!!

Agreed

It's taken on a life of its own like Machida/Jones round 1.

I just rewatched the fight and I'm surprised people think the first 4 minutes or so are so one sided. I thought Gus was winning, but it was in the same vein of most of the first 3 rounds where it could go either way(but this was leaning towards Gus). Jon rocking Gus stole the round pretty clearly. The round was competitive until then. Gus would have to have been dominating that round to make it a 10-10 and he wasn't.

I'll say what I said immediately after the fight: (as a Jones hater)

I had that round (minus the big shot, and follow up by Jones) as actually Gust's most dominant of the night.... and then Jones lands that big shot, that was easily the most significant strike of the entire fight.

I had that round for Jones (again as a Jones hater) via really badly hurting Gus (Hell Gus -never- recovered from that shot, even in the 5th he was still out of it). That said, I can also see/agree with the argument that Gus handily winning the rest of that round could make it a 10-10 round.

However, if you are willing to call that round a draw, then why not any of the other previous rounds, which where -very close- but without -any- dominant round winning action by either fighter? You could almost even make an argument that the fight was 49-50, with the first four rounds all being 10-10 draws.

It's all subjective really, and that subjectivity is part of the reason there is so much disagreement on some of the decisions being handed down.

That elbow wins the round for me. Best single blow of the fight.

Back