How do you score a round like round 4 of Jones vs. Gus?

flakxd

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
A round in which Gus controlled the first 4 minutes or so handedly, then Jon turns it on and dominates the very end. I have no idea how to judge in this type of situation.

When does a certain amount of extra damage outweigh more time of lesser damage?

Watching it then and now, I didn't think that Gus controlled the first 4 minutes handedly, it was close and I had him up front but the flurry by Jones in the last minute was very decisive as opposed to the first 4.

A round in which Gus controlled the first 4 minutes or so handedly, then Jon turns it on and dominates the very end. I have no idea how to judge in this type of situation.

Just watched it again and have too agree. Id say it was a 10 - 10 round. Gus won most of the round and outstruck him overall, but that elbow definitely was the most damaging shot of the fight.

Well after rewatching it I honestly think Gustafsson could still have won it or it was 10-10, people really exaggerated it...a lot of it was simply fatigue...I'd say a 10-10 round

I had it for Jones. I mean it is subjective, but he delivered a lot of damage at the end of that round and visibly gassed Gus for the rest of the fight. Anytime a fighter gets rocked they are pretty likely to lose the round though

For Jones.
Most of the people scoring it for Gus would score it for him if it were the opposite result; if Jones won 4 minutes of that round soundly and the got the fuck beaten out of him for a minute, they'd give it to Gus.

I hate Jones more than anyone on this site, I promise you, but he won that fight by a single round. This is the most fabricated controversy ever.

I gave it to Jones. Gus was very badly hurt and was shuffling around like he had no clue what was going on.

Rocking and nearly finishing your opponent > controlling most of the round but ultimately doing nothing of note. Round 4 was blatantly Jones'.

9-9 Draw of a Round.

BTW i scored the fight

RD 1 10-9 Gus
RD 2 10-9 Gus
RD 3 10-9 Gus
RD 4 9-9 Draw
Rd 5 10-9 Jones

Rocking and nearly finishing your opponent > controlling most of the round but ultimately doing nothing of note. Round 4 was blatantly Jones'.

According to UFC judging criteria, striking is based only on the overall strikes landed per round. Stupid rule but I'd give it to him under official judging criteria. Also was pushing the fight and controlling the octagon for 4 out of 5 minutes. There's 3 of the 4 criteria

Yeah Ill stop now. Watching that again pissed me off. Jones might have taken it...

But prob a 10 10

For Jones.
Most of the people scoring it for Gus would score it for him if it were the opposite result; if Jones won 4 minutes of that round soundly and the got the fuck beaten out of him for a minute, they'd give it to Gus.

I hate Jones more than anyone on this site, I promise you, but he won that fight by a single round. This is the most fabricated controversy ever.

Is it though...? I just rewatched it Gustafsson controlled over 3/4's of the fight

I don't think Jones won the round. At best it was a 10-10. I feel the same about round 3 of GSP vs. Condit. The head kick was huge but did not finish the fight and Georges dominated the rest of the round. I think Alex winning a majority of the round makes up for one big moment from Jones.

I score that one a 10-10. Gus landing nice combos for the most part, then Jones rocks him with an elbow, but Gus is still able to stuff the TD and even tosses Jones down right before the horn.

I'm perfectly fine with people scoring it for Jones, but I have it a draw.

I don't think Jones won the round. At best it was a 10-10. I feel the same about round 3 of GSP vs. Condit. The head kick was huge but did not finish the fight and Georges dominated the rest of the round. I think Alex winning a majority of the round makes up for one big moment from Jones.

I had it the same, 10-10...people really exaggerate the flurry at the end

I had it

10-9 Gus
10-9 Gus
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Jones

10-9 Jones,

If it played out in reverse ie Jones dominating and looking like finishing then Gus dominating I wouyld score it 10-9 Gus.

I am not sure if order of events is supposed to be in the judging criteria but I am sure it is a factor for many judges.

If winning more decisively in 1 minute's worth of time counts more than winning for 4 minutes less decisively, then would you agree with this scenario.....

Fighter A wins the first 4 rounds of a title fight. Nothing extraordinary, never really close to finishing, but he wins the first 4 rounds decisively....no controversery.
Fighter B then wins the 5th round in a very dominant fashion (10-8), and almost finishes at the end. If the round would've gone 30 seconds more, maybe he would've got the finish.

Does fighter B win the fight due to damage at the end over control throughout the majority?

If winning more decisively in 1 minute's worth of time counts more than winning for 4 minutes less decisively, then would you agree with this scenario.....

Fighter A wins the first 4 rounds of a title fight. Nothing extraordinary, never really close to finishing, but he wins the first 4 rounds decisively....no controversery.
Fighter B then wins the 5th round in a very dominant fashion (10-8), and almost finishes at the end. If the round would've gone 30 seconds more, maybe he would've got the finish.

Does fighter B win the fight due to damage at the end over control throughout the majority?

No, because of the 10-point must system. The first four rounds aren't erased by the fifth. But when we're scoring a particular round, I'll give it to the guy who landed the more significant shots.

Gus definitely outstruck him for the first 4 minutes but it really wasn't as dominant as everyone makes it sound. He won them pretty narrowly.

In just about any scenario, I'd give the round to the guy who nearly finished his opponent, even if they were being grapplefucked for the 4 minutes before then.

Back