How do you score a round like round 4 of Jones vs. Gus?

People exaggerate that elbow so much it's ridiculous. Was he hurt? Yes. Was he close to being finished? Not a chance. His knees didn't even buckle and he didn't hit the mat. Even then, he still shrugged off Jones' takedowns. I swear, some people need to get their fucking eyes checked.

Ok, he wasn't dropped, but was he not reeling? Was it not by far the most significant strike of the fight? Even Gus has said that the blow had a profound effect on him for long after it landed. He said he wasn't right until well into the fifth round and it took a lot of steam out of him, contributing to Jones taking over in the subsequent round.

Jones won round 4 because he out-struck Gus overall - that's one way to look at it. Also, he was closer to finishing the fight.

As has already been said by a few people in this and other threads, it was clear that Gus was winning round 4, but certainly not by a wide margin going in to the last minute. Actually, probably half the round or more was very even. Gus had some moments towards the middle and latter half of the round and then in the last minute Jones completely eclipsed any success that Gus had prior to the spinning elbow. Overall, Jones won and it shouldn't even be controversial.

I watch more MMA than the both of you combined and my house went silent because we thought Gus was done for.

I too thought Gus was done. I was a little upset because i had Gus winning rounds 1 through 3.

Ok, he wasn't dropped, but was he not reeling? Was it not by far the most significant strike of the fight? Even Gus has said that the blow had a profound effect on him for long after it landed. He said he wasn't right until well into the fifth round and it took a lot of steam out of him, contributing to Jones taking over in the subsequent round.

Jones won round 4 because he out-struck Gus overall - that's one way to look at it. Also, he was closer to finishing the fight.

As has already been said by a few people in this and other threads, it was clear that Gus was winning round 4, but certainly not by a wide margin going in to the last minute. Actually, probably half the round or more was very even. Gus had some moments towards the middle and latter half of the round and then in the last minute Jones completely eclipsed any success that Gus had prior to the spinning elbow. Overall, Jones won and it shouldn't even be controversial.

I said that Gus was hurt. There is a difference between being momentarily hurt and being close to finished.

I just don't like people who don't back up what they say...that's it. it's cowardly

There's no need to. I'm not trying to derail the thread. Go cry to the guy that randomly brought the fight up you woman.

I personally score rounds like that 10-10. Examples of other rounds I scored 10-10 would be:
Ivan Menjivar vs. Nick Pace round 3
Menjivar controls a majority of round 3 until about a minute left where Pace lands a good shot. Pace then unloads on a clearly hurt and back pedaling Menjivar for about a minute. (As far as I remember. Only saw the fight once a long time ago)

Urijah Faber vs. Yuri Alcantara round 1
Yuri dominates Faber for about the first 2 minutes or so, but Faber then regains control for the second half of the round and does some good damage.

I too thought Gus was done. I was a little upset because i had Gus winning rounds 1 through 3.

Yeah, it sucks dick that elbow landed, Gus would have won that fight. Who knows, maybe he'd be more lively in round 5 and would pour it on.

I really wanted him to win and I really believed he would, it's just that one perfect shot from Jones that stopped him in his tracks.

Big props to both guys. There's one tiny adjustment Gus has to make and he can beat Jones. It's super obvious and i'm sure his boxing coaches saw it.

I said that Gus was hurt. There is a difference between being momentarily hurt and being close to finished.

Being hurt is often the first step to being finished. They are often only a strike or two apart. Also, immediately upon taking the blow, Gus was in retreat and sensing this, Jones was pursuing, but he didn't have very much time to work at that point. How close Gus was to being finished is really academic, but he was closer than Jones ever was, can we agree on that?

Being hurt is often the first step to being finished. They are often only a strike or two apart. Also, immediately upon taking the blow, Gus was in retreat and sensing this, Jones was pursuing, but he didn't have very much time to work at that point. How close Gus was to being finished is really academic, but he was closer than Jones ever was, can we agree on that?

Yes, I can agree on that. If Jones was landing flush shots and dropped Alex/took him down then I'd wholeheartedly agree that he was pretty damn close to being finished. Anyways, it was a great elbow from Jones. Good adaptability, too.

Yeah, it sucks dick that elbow landed, Gus would have won that fight. Who knows, maybe he'd be more lively in round 5 and would pour it on.

I really wanted him to win and I really believed he would, it's just that one perfect shot from Jones that stopped him in his tracks.

Big props to both guys. There's one tiny adjustment Gus has to make and he can beat Jones. It's super obvious and i'm sure his boxing coaches saw it.

Yeah, I agree: big props to them both. That's the take-away from this fight. Regardless of how this fight was scored, they will fight again if Gus is actually championship material as he will dispatch with his next opponent and get the rematch. I can't wait for that fight. I am excite!

Yes, I can agree on that. If Jones was landing flush shots and dropped Alex/took him down then I'd wholeheartedly agree that he was pretty damn close to being finished. Anyways, it was a great elbow from Jones. Good adaptability, too.

Yeah. I actually think Jones made a mistake in going for that take down. I think maybe he wanted to seal the round in the judges eyes, but I would have preferred for him to continue striking at that moment. And it definitely showed a lot of toughness on the part of Alexander that he was able to defend that take down and return fire.

I think his conditioning played a big part on it too, 220lb men arent supposed to move around like Frank Edgar.

It also seemed like Gus didn't want to compromise himself by landing flush hard shots. He fought 90% technical until he gassed out of his mind.

IMO he would have stopped Jones after the third had he put some pop into his punches, but what do i know heh :D

I think his conditioning played a big part on it too, 220lb men arent supposed to move around like Frank Edgar.

It also seemed like Gus didn't want to compromise himself by landing flush hard shots. He fought 90% technical until he gassed out of his mind.

IMO he would have stopped Jones after the third had he put some pop into his punches, but what do i know heh :D

his problem was actually a technical one; he wouldn't cut Jones off with his lead foot.
Jones can't slip left, and Gus kept giving him spaces on the right because he wouldn't penetrate with a step.

really simple fix.

I was initially ok with Jones retaining the belt on the basis that while I think Alex was winning every moment of the fight bar a short stint at the end of the 4:th he didn't dominate and a case could be made either way... but seeing the disingenuous reactions from Jones' horde of fans I'm like "fuck that shit". He won all rounds including 4:th which was not "a minute of dominance" but an elbow which landed with 37 secs left followed by a bunch of missed elbows and a couple landed, a stuffed TD attempt and a successful trip by Alex to finish the round. The only thing that could've won Jon that fight is if you wanted him to win and feel that a stumbled, not even dropped, Alex is enough to warrant a victory. All other moments including the 5:th was all about Alex beating up the paper champ.

plI8B1.gif

I don't think Jones won the round. At best it was a 10-10. I feel the same about round 3 of GSP vs. Condit. The head kick was huge but did not finish the fight and Georges dominated the rest of the round. I think Alex winning a majority of the round makes up for one big moment from Jones.

Well at least you're consistent.

But with all due respect, people like you have turned this from the sport of fighting to the sport of holding, pinning, and stalling. Giving round 3 to GSP is completely insane and makes me think you should stop watching fighting and start watching wrestling. And this is coming from a long-time grappler and huge wrestling fan whose favorite fighters are Fitch and Okami.

Not really. It was a close round, but it was clearly Jones' round by the slimmest of margins.

The point is, Gus definitely did not win the 4th, and it's laughable to pretend he did. It just proves how terrible most members of this site are at scoring fighters.

define_irony_by_hailtothechimp-d389dpu.jpg

He won the 4th.

Well at least you're consistent.

But with all due respect, people like you have turned this from the sport of fighting to the sport of holding, pinning, and stalling. Giving round 3 to GSP is completely insane and makes me think you should stop watching fighting and start watching wrestling. And this is coming from a long-time grappler and huge wrestling fan whose favorite fighters are Fitch and Okami.

Lol, thanks? It's not insane to give Georges the third. Thats much more realistic than giving gus the fourth in the Jones fight.

Holding, pinning, and stalling? Clearly you don't like Georges fighting style and you clearly think he is a point fighting lay-n-prayer. We have differing opinions and you don't like that. Sorry I don't agree with you, but it's okay for people to see a fight different and have a different perspective on things.

I don't agree with you...big fucking deal. you don't agree with me so move on with it man. Jesus, some people are so high strung on this site.

Back