How do you score a round like round 4 of Jones vs. Gus?

Gus won the first 4 minutes just barely in a very close and competetive round, then Jones dominated the end of the round clearly and violently

Ask the judges how you score it, you score it 10-9 Jones

For Gus

You can't give a fighter a round because you kind of think that one strike he landed may have somewhat hurt someone. Gus outlanded Jones by a huge margin in that round and was Gus's most definitive. The elbow that people think 'rocked' him hurt Gus so bad that in the remaining ~40 seconds of the round after we was hurt, he avoided taking anymore damage, stuffed a takedown, and got one of his own. It was the same situation with Arlovski against Mike Kyle recently. Arlovski dominated the striking in rounds 1 & 3 but got clipped in both. But the one punch was not enough to sway the judges (although he was almost finished in the 1st and I gave that one to Kyle).

Well after rewatching it I honestly think Gustafsson could still have won it or it was 10-10, people really exaggerated it...a lot of it was simply fatigue...I'd say a 10-10 round

no way, GUS barely survived....

For Gus

You can't give a fighter a round because you kind of think that one strike he landed may have somewhat hurt someone. Gus outlanded Jones by a huge margin in that round and was Gus's most definitive. The elbow that people think 'rocked' him hurt Gus so bad that in the remaining ~40 seconds of the round after we was hurt, he avoided taking anymore damage, stuffed a takedown, and got one of his own. It was the same situation with Arlovski against Mike Kyle recently. Arlovski dominated the striking in rounds 1 & 3 but got clipped in both. But the one punch was not enough to sway the judges (although he was almost finished in the 1st and I gave that one to Kyle).

It hurt him enough that he said he saw stars and was drained for round 5. pretty good blow, imo.

Id say most people saying Gus win round 4 would say Gus won if the situation were reversed and Gus landed a big blow on Jones that had him staggered and bleeding after Jones controlled most of the round.

Jones almost finish Gus in that round. It's reason enough for him to earn that round. It's fair to say Gus was slowly fading too in that round

I don't think the the elbow damaged Gus as much as some others think, but it was definitely the most damaging blow in the entire fight and even though Gus clearly was winning the round 10-9, I gave it to Jones. Will always get sad thinking that had it not been for the elbow, Alex would have been champ :(

I gave it to Jones, but very close round to score.

I'd have no problem with someone giving it Gus.

Gus won the first 4 minutes just barely in a very close and competetive round
It was not "barely". Re-watch it, Gus was getting in great shots and winning that round decisively.

Gus was winning most of round 4 but it was still close. Then Jones landed the spinning elbow and it was obviously the single most damaging blow of the whole fight. You have to give the round to Jones based on that. It turned not only the round in Jones favor but the fight itself.

It's pretty clearly only a 10-9 round because Gus had some decent attacks at the beginning of the round. It would've only been a 10-8 round if Gus barely launched any offence himself.

I think you have to look at it this way. If Jon didn't land the elbow, Gus likely would've continued picking Jon apart using good movement and boxing, but Jones was never in any trouble of being stopped in the 4th round and it would still have been a competitive round overall.

Now, had there been an extra minute or two on the clock, there's a chance Jones would have finished Gustafsson. So, in this situation, I think it's fair to say that Jones should win the round, since had he had more time in the round, there's a decent chance he would have finished the fight, where as Gus would have simply edged Jones out had he not gotten nailed with the elbow and follow up strikes.

10-9 for Bones.

That's how anyone who is not biased should score it.

officially he did.

By everyone else's count except Jones's fans, Gus won at least Rd's 1-3

Not only effectively but also dealing more damage. Want proof? Go back and count the strikes landed.

Weren't you also arguing that Machida actually did beat Shogun in their first fight?

You can add Gus to people who think he didn't win. He said he didn't do enough.

You can add Gus to people who think he didn't win. He said he didn't do enough.
He said he didn't do enough in the eyes of the judges since Bones is the champ you have to beat/finish the champ more convincingly than any other opponent. Big difference than what you

10-9 Gus iirc, but I don't care anymore since Jones ducked the rematch.

Jones. Gus was ahead in the 4th until Jones hit him with the elbow. It was a very significant strike that visibly hurt Gus. That elbow and strikes afterwards were enough to take away the small lead Gus had in the round.

Well after rewatching it I honestly think Gustafsson could still have won it or it was 10-10, people really exaggerated it...a lot of it was simply fatigue...I'd say a 10-10 round

Fatigue? Gus said after that elbow, he saw 3 Jonnys out there. He was rocked bad. If it wasn't him, he probably would've been finished. He said he was still feeling it in Round 5 even.

I give the round to Bones based on him almost finishing the fight. Was going for Gus though and still think he won the first three rounds, but Bones definitely had Gus in the worst position in the entire fight in that round.

Back