How do you score a round like round 4 of Jones vs. Gus?

10 - 10 draw

Gus was winning for 4 minutes

Jones has dominating for 1 minutes

Gus 1 2 3
Draw 4
Jones 5

Gus 49 - 47

I really want to score the 4th for gus. I really do.

Gus didnt do terrible in the 5th either.

Lol, thanks? It's not insane to give Georges the third. Thats much more realistic than giving gus the fourth in the Jones fight.

Holding, pinning, and stalling? Clearly you don't like Georges fighting style and you clearly think he is a point fighting lay-n-prayer. We have differing opinions and you don't like that. Sorry I don't agree with you, but it's okay for people to see a fight different and have a different perspective on things.

I don't agree with you...big fucking deal. you don't agree with me so move on with it man. Jesus, some people are so high strung on this site.

Actually I think GSP is incredible and I think he legitimately beat Condit. But fighting is about damaging your opponent, and in Round 3 GSP did way less of that than Condit did to him.

I was initially ok with Jones retaining the belt on the basis that while I think Alex was winning every moment of the fight bar a short stint at the end of the 4:th he didn't dominate and a case could be made either way... but seeing the disingenuous reactions from Jones' horde of fans I'm like "fuck that shit". He won all rounds including 4:th which was not "a minute of dominance" but an elbow which landed with 37 secs left followed by a bunch of missed elbows and a couple landed, a stuffed TD attempt and a successful trip by Alex to finish the round. The only thing that could've won Jon that fight is if you wanted him to win and feel that a stumbled, not even dropped, Alex is enough to warrant a victory. All other moments including the 5:th was all about Alex beating up the paper champ.

plI8B1.gif

So why didn't he just knock Jones out and make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt? Let me guess, he took mercy on Jones like Vitor did?

you decide,

4 minutes of scoring solid points OR 1 minute beatdown ?

its tough for me to say this because i like Alex more than Jones, but Jones edged him by an inch.

People seem to assume that Jones is never going to ALSO, make adjustments. People also seem to forget that his demise is predicted after every fight yet he still has the belt. If Jones is so flawed, wek, lacking technique, then why doesn't one of these highly skilled opponents just go and take the belt from him? If Jones is only winning because of his size and he has no skill, what does that say about his opponents, or martial arts in general?

this is a typical mma myth.

i watched the fight the next day and came on sherdog before i watched it.

i expected the 4th round to be a round where gus had jones almost finished and jones threw a hailmary elbow based on what i read...lol

gus was winning the round but jones was landing + pressing the action + in no danger of being finished.

it wasnt 4 minutes of domination vs 1 elbow like i was led to believe.

add that to the fact that the 1 elbow was the most significant strike of the ENTIRE fight!!

I was initially ok with Jones retaining the belt on the basis that while I think Alex was winning every moment of the fight bar a short stint at the end of the 4:th he didn't dominate and a case could be made either way... but seeing the disingenuous reactions from Jones' horde of fans I'm like "fuck that shit". He won all rounds including 4:th which was not "a minute of dominance" but an elbow which landed with 37 secs left followed by a bunch of missed elbows and a couple landed, a stuffed TD attempt and a successful trip by Alex to finish the round. The only thing that could've won Jon that fight is if you wanted him to win and feel that a stumbled, not even dropped, Alex is enough to warrant a victory. All other moments including the 5:th was all about Alex beating up the paper champ.

plI8B1.gif

That elbow hurt Gus, and Jones was on him. He landed several more solid shots which were probably themselves all more significant than the ones Gus had landed in the round. Gus was stumbling around on several occasions. The "successful trip" by Gus didn't put Jones down, not really. And that was the only thing Gus did for that final ~40 secs beside get hit and run his ass off. The man was hurt, worse than Jones was at any point in the fight. Most of the 4th round was even, and Gus had a couple of moments towards the middle and latter half of the fight where he was landing well against Jones, but look at the flow of the round. Gus gets his by the elbow, and after that point he is in survival mode. Can't you see it?

And you actually gave Gus the fifth round, too? Ugh. Why does almost NO ONE agree with you, be they professional fighters, judges or MMA fans?

I scored round 4 for Jones he was very dominant toward the end.

Actually I think GSP is incredible and I think he legitimately beat Condit. But fighting is about damaging your opponent, and in Round 3 GSP did way less of that than Condit did to him.

good point dude. maybe i have my priorities screwed up in scoring because i'm just used to the way that judges score fights. I think there is a solid argument for either of them to have won the round. However, I do think the argument for Condit winning the round is a very strong and valid opinion.

I admit I may have been a little too quick to give GSP the third or Gus the fourth in their respective fights because those two are some of my favorite fighters and (at least in Gus' case) I desperately wanted them to get the decision. GSP clearly won his fight, but I can see why Condit could have definitely won the 3rd round due to his beautiful headkick and putting Georges on his ass.

I apologize to anyone I may have seen stubborn towards. I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes my fanboyism can get in the way of my viewings of the fights. There are definitely sometimes that I need to rewatch fights with less alcohol in my system and in a more objective view, hah.

People exaggerate that elbow so much it's ridiculous. Was he hurt? Yes. Was he close to being finished? Not a chance. His knees didn't even buckle and he didn't hit the mat. Even then, he still shrugged off Jones' takedowns. I swear, some people need to get their fucking eyes checked.

Agreed he was hurt but not close to being finished. He seemed tired and rocked to me but nothing close to being out on his feet.

Hard to say, Alex pushed the pace the first half and landed more strikes total.

Jones landed a few shots of his own, and even a few big ones plus a handful of blocked headkicks.

Gotta go with Jones because he was dominating at the end of the round

good point dude. maybe i have my priorities screwed up in scoring because i'm just used to the way that judges score fights. I think there is a solid argument for either of them to have won the round. However, I do think the argument for Condit winning the round is a very strong and valid opinion.

I admit I may have been a little too quick to give GSP the third or Gus the fourth in their respective fights because those two are some of my favorite fighters and (at least in Gus' case) I desperately wanted them to get the decision. GSP clearly won his fight, but I can see why Condit could have definitely won the 3rd round due to his beautiful headkick and putting Georges on his ass.

I apologize to anyone I may have seen stubborn towards. I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes my fanboyism can get in the way of my viewings of the fights. There are definitely sometimes that I need to rewatch fights with less alcohol in my system and in a more objective view, hah.

You've got a good attitude and you make a good point about the judging system influencing people's perceptions. I will add that Rogan's commentary influences way too many people also. Passion does that to people. Actually it's been a hard thing for me to get over as a diehard fan of the grappling sports who has competed for years. I simply love watching good grapplers smother dangerous fighters. Fights like Okami-Belcher and Fitch-Silva are my favorites. Still, fighting is about hurting people.

You've got a good attitude and you make a good point about the judging system influencing people's perceptions. I will add that Rogan's commentary influences way too many people also. Passion does that to people. Actually it's been a hard thing for me to get over as a diehard fan of the grappling sports who has competed for years. I simply love watching good grapplers smother dangerous fighters. Fights like Okami-Belcher and Fitch-Silva are my favorites. Still, fighting is about hurting people.

You are right. Inflicting damage should definitely be the number one judging priority. And you bring up a good point about Rogan. I like to think I don't let Joe sway my opinion but sometimes it is easy to get caught up in all his theatrics and think a fight is playing out in the favor of one fighter when it is a lot closer than he makes it seem.

Watching it again, damn it was close. Gus won most of the round but jones did more damage late. After initially scoring the fight for Gus 48-47 I score it for Jones 48-47 upon the 2nd viewing.

REEEEEEMAAAATCH! :icon_chee

You are right. Inflicting damage should definitely be the number one judging priority. And you bring up a good point about Rogan. I like to think I don't let Joe sway my opinion but sometimes it is easy to get caught up in all his theatrics and think a fight is playing out in the favor of one fighter when it is a lot closer than he makes it seem.

The other thing that's hard is that judging a fight objectively tends to take the fun out of it. I've watched the first three rounds of Jones-Gus four times now, each time weighing strikes based on how much damage I perceive them to have done. I've done this with a bunch of close fights and it's pretty exhausting. Still it's the only way to make your best judgment.

Watching it again, damn it was close. Gus won most of the round but jones did more damage late. After initially scoring the fight for Gus 48-47 I score it for Jones 48-47 upon the 2nd viewing.

REEEEEEMAAAATCH! :icon_chee

I had 1 very very slightly for Jones. 2 was even. 3 was all Gus. 4 and 5 for Jones.

10-10. Gus won the majority of the round but Jones landed the most significant shot late in the round. Both have a claim to the round and neither decisively took it, so give it to both.

Overall I had it
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Jones

49-48 Gus. That's a damn close fight no matter how you slice it.

Back