• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do you guys feel about hip thrusts?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Especially for athletes.
A must have?
A solid exercise?
A waste of time?

Are pull throughs an acceptable substitute? I’m not sure if you can load as much weight with pull throughs as you can hip thrusts.

Thoughts?

good work on the back side. struggled to get comfortable putting bar in lap and switched to weighted bridges laying on back. Hip drive approved.

Must have - No, since I think it overlaps with many deadlift variations, but then again no exercise is really a must have.

Useful - Sure.

Waste of time - No, it’s a good glute/hip hinge exercise. Maybe more glute focused and less hamstring/back than deadlift variations.

Never took the time to train it extensively because I find the setup cumbersome and also they look kinda silly. Although my gym bought some of those hip thrust machines, and the setup is easier that way, but still kinda awkward. I’ve seen people doing several plates with hip thrusts, I don’t think you could imitate that sort of progression with pull throughs. Maybe just do RDLs.

I have done them in the past and it's a solid exercise. It's preferable to deadlifts in some instances because it doesn't stress your grip and is easier on the CNS. So I think it's a 'solid' exercise or at least one that has a use. Many people have underdeveloped glutes. Many people do deadlifts where they don't lock out the bar at the top because they have weak glutes.

I think I used around 60-70% of my 1RM for deadlifts. It was quite uncomfortable.

I'd maybe just get hooks(also not the most comfortable piece of equipment) for deadlifts and focus on lockouts and pushing hips through at the top.

That's weird, Brett Contreras has written books purely about barbell hip thrusts. I think he's published research around the exercise too.
I used to read a lot of his articles 10 years ago

Reverse hyper is better. Use straps on deadlifts if it bothers your cns too much.

Reverse hypers are probably better
I've really eyed up the reverse hyper from louis simmons for my home gym. Which is not much of a home gym yet.
If nothing else, for strengthening and decompressing my lower back

Wouldn't you have to prove your statement to be true first?

Unless I'm unclear on how arguments really work and we're just going to start arguing from a point of ignorance. "Prove I'm wrong" doesn't really apply here.

Wouldn't you have to prove your statement to be true first?

Unless I'm unclear on how arguments really work and we're just going to start arguing from a point of ignorance. "Prove I'm wrong" doesn't really apply here.

nope! lets assume I'm wrong and hes right I want him to prove it. If any of you cant do that than whatever you have to say about is just trolling.

Back