How close is Charles to passing Khabib on the 155 list?

Willy Knuckles

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Another impressive finish over a top contender has me wondering, what else does Charles need to do pass Khabib on the 155 list? Khabib retired after winning 13 straight at 155, since returning to the 155 division Charles has gone 12-1 with arguably a better resume overall. Curious what people think of this. If he beats Islam is he locked in as the 155 GOAT? Or does he still need to do more?
Discuss

He'd need to do a LOT more to make up for the fact that during Khabib's tear, no opponent even came close to him. Charles has been knocked down, lost rounds snd come close to losing even in his recent prime.
It doesnt matter how many rounds you lose. It's who gets the win. Anderson lost plenty of rounds on his run. He lost 4.9 against Shale

Two more impressive wins and he passes khabib, Perfect record or not you can’t overlook that Do Bronx is beating the same guys in a very decisive fashion.
Khabib left too early but it is what it is, if he wanted a stronger legacy he shoulda stuck around.

Khabibs run is still unprecedented. Respect to Charles but Khabib did not receive 10% of the damage that Charles did against Gaethje and Poirier. The man never bled in there.

If we are counting his win against Gaethje as a title defense (which I do, fuck .5 lbs) than he is at two title defenses against the same two guys Khabib defended against, whereas Khabib is at three and looked far more dominant against Poirier and Gaethje.

So Charles is def. getting there and if he runs through Islam (or whoever else is next) the argument def. can be made, but as of right now he still needs to 1 or two more wins.

Two more impressive wins and he passes khabib, Perfect record or not you can’t overlook that Do Bronx is beating the same guys in a very decisive fashion.
Khabib left too early but it is what it is, if he wanted a stronger legacy he shoulda stuck around.
Why does he need 1 or 2 more wins though lol. If he beats Islam or beneil I think his resume becomes undeniably more impressive than Khabib. At this point I think he's neck and neck with khabib but that's just me

He'd need to do a LOT more to make up for the fact that during Khabib's tear, no opponent even came close to him. Charles has been knocked down, lost multiple rounds and come close to losing even in his recent prime.
A bit easier to look dominant when more than half of your resume is Russian cab drivers. Charlie was fed to the wolves from the very beginning, their careers are not comparable.

Few good wins more an he its at that level or higher, he gets tagged but ultimately he gets the job done fast and very exciting, Canelo fight was good and all, this was FAST and violent, it was a done deal in 5 minutes, would i feel robbed IF i had paid 75usd for it? Not sure, as the other fight that i cared about Chandler vs Ferguson delivered too, with the shit break in between that served perfectly to watch boxing, MMA fights usually go in two directions violent and quick, or a slow plodding death, thank god it was the first unlike Rose vs Esparza.

Why does he need 1 or 2 more wins though lol. If he beats Islam or beneil I think his resume becomes undeniably more impressive than Khabib. At this point I think he's neck and neck with khabib but that's just me
I don’t necessarily disagree but khabib was extremely dominant and do Bronx is not as much but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Honestly if he beats Islam he might surpass Khabib.

Khabib was more dominant for sure, but if Charles beats Islam his UFC win streak and resume of names would be better than Khabib's imo

The only thing is that Khabib dominated those guys, was never in risk of losing the fight yet he still stopped them at the champ level, not denying Oliveira his credit, he will surpass Khabib if he continues to win, no matter how, at this point Khabib is still the better fighter, imo.

Good run, but he's going life and death with guys like Gaetjhe, who Khabib absolutely walked through. Dustin had some moments to win on the spot, as well. We know how Dustin's fight with Khabib went. In my opinion, you have to factor in the nature of their victories.

Charles would have a great case over Khabib if he beats a top level grappler like Islam or Beneil, something Khabib never did. Especially Islam since he's as similar to Khabib as anyone can be. If that happens I don't care if he's been knocked down a bunch of times.

Imo hes already there but 1 more win im sold

Back