Hot take?: It's not my first choice, but I prefer Islam/Charles than Islam/Justin

Reptile_Bong_Hit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Am I crazy, brothers?

First, let me grant the following:

1. (In a vacuum) Justin's last two wins are more impressive than Charles finish over Dariush.

2. Justin and Islam is technically a fresh match-up * more on this below.

3. Justin has more for Islam on the feet than Charles.

4. Charles pulled out due to injury.

The issues for me are as follows:

1. Justin has had two title shots; Charles has only had one despite a legitimate title reign.

2. Charles accomplished enough as champ (2 impressive defenses) IMO, to justify a rematch after one impressive victory.

3. If Islam were a different flighting style, I could defiantly buy a title shot for Justin. While he had a couple moments against Khabib on the feet, Justin's ground game against looked like he never trained before. IMO, Islam's fighting style is similar enough to Khabib where I'm just not that interested with Arman and Charles are out there. I'm just not convinced Justin can keep it standing.

4. Islam isn't Khabib, but Charles was more competitive against Islam than Justin was against Khabib.

5. Arman arguably deserves a title shot; I'd rather him than Charles or Justin, but there's a very real possibility of Charles finishing Arman and then were left with Charles/Islam anyways.

Is this a hot take or legitimately debatable?

Last edited:
One we saw before and it was relatively quick work, the other we haven't. Simple as that, I think.

Not opposed to the Oliveira rematch, but we just saw Islam fight Volk twice and Charles before that, let's get a fresh face.

Justin had the most success against Khabib out of anybody. I don't agree at all that Charles did better against Islam in comparison.
I'm not opposed to either scenario, but lean more towards getting a fresh face in there.

Am I crazy, brothers?

First, let me grant the following:

1. (In a vacuum) Justin's last two wins are more impressive than Charles finish over Dariush.

2. Justin and Islam is technically a fresh match-up * more on this below.

3. Justin has more for Islam on the feet than Charles.

4. Charles pulled out due to injury.

The issues for me are as follows:

1. Justin has had two title shots; Charles has only had one despite a legitimate title reign.

2. Charles accomplished enough as champ (2 impressive defenses) IMO, to justify a rematch after one impressive victory.

3. If Islam were a different flighting style, I could defiantly buy a title shot for Justin. While he had a couple moments against Khabib on the feet, Justin's ground game against looked like he never trained before. IMO, Islam's fighting style is similar enough to Khabib where I'm just not that interested with Arman and Charles are out there. I'm just not convinced Justin can keep it standing.

4. Islam isn't Khabib, but Charles was more competitive against Islam than Justin was against Khabib.

5. Arman arguably deserves a title shot; I'd rather him than Charles or Justin, but there's a very real possibility of Charles finishing Arman and then were left with Charles/Islam anyways.

Is this a hot take or legitimately debatable?

I agree. Gaethje has nothing, and I mean nothing, for makhachev.

Charles on the other hand could make it very different with some adjustments.

Gaethje is a gimme for makhachev

I’d like to see Justin just for the sake of a fresh matchup. No clue why they didn’t have Gamrot face Islam last time when he was the official replacement and weighed in, but business is business. Arman vs Islam is my dream matchup, and I hope they don’t feed the former to Charles beforehand.

I actually agree. All Gaethje has is the low kick. That's a pretty thin line of defense against someone like Islam.

(If Charles wasn't around, why not. But from a sporting perspective, I wouldn't push Gaethje over Oli.)

Honestly, I don't care much who is next for islam as long as it is booked soon. Islam fought for like 2 minutes in the last 11 months or so, and he took no punches in that fight. Just book him asap against any top lightweight and I'll be happy

Last edited:
No thanks. Get tired of the constant discrediting champions get because they keep only getting offered rematches. Beating the same guy again will just spawn nothing but more discrediting excuses.

I'm a big Gaethje fan, so I am glad he is getting the shot. As others have said, I too am tired of all the immediate rematches. Let Oliviera beat someone to get his next shot.

I'm a big Gaethje fan, so I am glad he is getting the shot. As others have said, I too am tired of all the immediate rematches. Let Oliviera beat someone to get his next shot.

A Gaethje/Makhachev fight has been officially announced?

Im ok with either, Olives was supposed to get his but he got hurt in training, if either takes the seat for one turn im ok, Gaethje vs Makhachev is a new one tho, treating Khabib's results against the same competition is unfair for everyone, probably even for Makhachev who's wins will always be compared and often put in the 2nd place by default cause of his relationship with Khabib and well, how good Khabib was, either way, im down for either, if its Olives im ok with a BMF fight happening in the mean time, specially on the same card.

I’d prefer Charles get his rematch first. There are a few reasons for that. He earned it by beating Dariush. Unfortunately he got that nasty cut. It never would have been healed enough. He may not have even been cleared to fight. Or if he did one strike could have opened it right up again.

As for Justin.. Him saying “Charles didn’t show up” is extremely disrespectful, imo. Injuries happen in mma. And the way he sat out about a year renegotiating his contract. Then wanted another immediate TS just because Khabib was gone. The guy has turned into an entitled clown since that Khabib fight.

So, I’d rather see Charles get his rematch first.

Just my opinion.

I prefer fresh match ups 99% of the time so I’d favor the Gaethje fight personally. And the narrative Gaethje “has nothing” for Islam doesn’t mean anything to me. Things don’t play out how we expect all the time, look no further than the Strickland/Izzy fight just a few months ago. And if we use that logic to exclude fighters, many champions would rarely fight.

Back