How can Canelo be 'Great' when..

I have a theory.

TS is probably not as dumb as he is acting, but he is dumb enough to think the 2 boxers and their promoters will see his thread, and feel obligated to make the fight, because this dedicated fan is so emotionally invested.

TS you crafty influencer/journalist.

In spite of all the nonsense I’ll agree with him on one statement : it’s a fun matchup. Win or lose for once we wouldn’t see a challenger run circles around Ginger. I’d like that.

Last edited:
In spite of all the nonsense I’ll agree with him on one statement : it’s a fun matchup. Winning or losing for once once we wouldn’t see a challenger run circles around Ginger. I’d like that.
Id love to see it. But I have zero doubt that after Canelo starches him the narrative will change to “Benavidez was a hype job”. Regardless, fun fight for sure.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, its time to pause and reflect.

Id love to see it. But I have zero doubt that after Canelo starches him the narrative will change to “Benavidez was a hype job”. Regardless, fun fight for sure.
I have zero doubt that Canelo will take this fight. For me the main question is how good is Benavidez's chin, and IF he can take the hits and keep on coming, then we have a real fight on our hands.

Yeah, he’s just your average 4 weight World champ, undisputed Super Middle weight champ, pound for pound number 1 and biggest name in the sport.

Canelo is a ATG that we have the privilege of watching in real time, GTFO with this shit. Back to Paul Brothers...

Like EVERY fighter Canelo has flaws and he's got a habit of NOT separating himself from his competition (Lara, GGG, Trout) but God damn does he take about all the fights fans want and he's been on a TEAR for past few years.

Must see Boxing for me

Canelo is 'Great' but id like him better i he hadnt been gifted that draw by Adalaide Byrd -that Sh*t just never sits right and I feel like he should've owned that as a Loss. And if you say your the baddest man on the planet -dont go up and cherry pick an aging vet like Kovalev out of the LHW ranks -theres 2 other guys that would IMO absolutely rank you as "The Best P4P" should you defeat them

I have zero doubt that Canelo will take this fight. For me the main question is how good is Benavidez's chin, and IF he can take the hits and keep on coming, then we have a real fight on our hands.
I think he gets dropped repeatedly being hit off balance and then gets folded over once hes worried about it. Youre not standing in front of Canelo and letting your hands fly without eating pistons for counters.

Canelo is just all wrong for Benavidez, imo.

Canelo is 'Great' but id like him better i he hadnt been gifted that draw by Adalaide Byrd -that Sh*t just never sits right and I feel like he should've owned that as a Loss. And if you say your the baddest man on the planet -dont go up and cherry pick an aging vet like Kovalev out of the LHW ranks -theres 2 other guys that would IMO absolutely rank you as "The Best P4P" should you defeat them
Why doesnt everyone else cherry pick in higher divisions since its so easy?

Yes what a real murderers row.
Isn't one of the indicators of a top contender and/or a top ranked fighter in a division...not having any losses in their record, especially in over 20 bouts?

I mean, some of their records could be padded but it could also mean that they faced pretty much every opponent they could face in front of them, and managed to win out up to that point.

I think he gets dropped repeatedly being hit off balance and then gets folded over once hes worried about it. Youre not standing in front of Canelo and letting your hands fly without eating pistons for counters.

Canelo is just all wrong for Benavidez, imo.

Canelo couldn't even drop or stop the likes the chavez jnr, and now he's going to just destroy Benavidez? lol. He has recently fought a bunch of old or soft fighters and fools acting like he's a prime Tyson.

So it seems most people simply don't care Canelo's best prime opponent was Caleb Plant, and a bunch of 35+ year olds.

Isn't one of the indicators of a top contender and/or a top ranked fighter in a division...not having any losses in their record, especially in over 20 bouts?

You must be new to boxing.

PUO3 If they ever do fight, I will wager my posting privileges' in the boxing forum on my pick. I wonder if you would have the balls to do the same?)))

Two close fights with GGG is fantastic, the scoring debacle deflects from this. I was underwhelmed for much of his career but recently, unifying 168, come on. People need to remember, anything protected from satire, seems bogus. Benavidez is the purist fight but moving to Cruiser is exciting stuff. Makabu is a banger, I'll be watching.

Every big name on his Resume was 35+ when he fought them?

Mosley -41
Floyd 36
GGG 35/36
Cotto -35
Kovalev - 36

The best prime fighters he has faced was probably Trout? Plant? When has Canelo ever fought a prime killer? I can't see any on his whole resume? The facts prove he only fights old fighters or weak punchers who offer no real threat especially when judges favor him so much.

Is that all it takes to be an ATG? The 4x division champ might sound impressive on paper, along with the resume names, but if you really examine his body of work its nowhere near impressive enough to be in the conversation for ATG status. He is just a HOF level fighter. Mubaku is 34 so he is another mid 30s opponent.

Manufactured greatness sorry. Oscar had a far more impressive career.

Don't forget the steroid uage.

Although Oscar had more losses, he actually did better against an in his prime Mayweather. He also fought Mosley x2, Bhop, Floyd, Tito, Pac when they were at the absolute most dangerous. Canelo can't say that as far as peak and talent of opposition. Although Canelo is a tremendously skilled fighter, and I like his busier schedule lately, some of his most noteworthy wins are against opponents very late in their career--people always will be able to hold that against him.

Last edited:
RJJ is 1-2 against B-Hop and Tarver, got iced by journeyman Glen Johnson, beat Toney because of his weight issues, Hill when he was Hearns’s and Michalczewski’s leftovers, then 80 yrs old McCallum and Trinidad before defeating the worst HW beltholder ever. Oh, and he got slapped around by Calzaghe.

You call that an ATG ? Meh.

The Toney win happened when Toney was comfortably at SMW. Hill's losses to Hearns and Michalzeschki (spelling) are separated by like a dozen wins. Glen Jonhson is well above journeyman status. Jones beat Bhop when both were in their primes and lost when he was not (bhop's prime was uniquely long). He beat Tarver when Tarver was in his own career best run. John Ruiz ain't great but he isn't terrible, either. Charles Martin is the worst belt holder ever. Come on now. Don't be shitty to Jones just because you don't like the guy's point.

Mosley -41
Floyd 36
GGG 35/36
Cotto -35
Kovalev - 36

The best prime fighters he has faced was probably Trout? Plant? When has Canelo ever fought a prime killer? I can't see any on his whole resume? The facts prove he only fights old fighters or weak punchers who offer no real threat especially when judges favor him so much.

Is that all it takes to be an ATG? The 4x division champ might sound impressive on paper, along with the resume names, but if you really examine his body of work its nowhere near impressive enough to be in the conversation for ATG status. He is just a HOF level fighter. Mubaku is 34 so he is another mid 30s opponent.

Oscars complicated. On one hand he almost/arguably beat Mayweather but on the other hand once he lost his 0 he lost against every ATG he faced over the last decade of his career. While some of said losses were close others were not. He's more of a case of manufactured greatness as his PPV numbers(which by proxy also created Money Mayweather) stand out far more than his sporting accomplishments.

The main case Canelo has is moving up to different weights and being successful, Oscar(who is bigger than Canelo) could not beat the best once he went up in weight and he wasn't going up nearly as high.

Now you raise a good point Oscar fought better competition in arguably the golden age(no pun intended) of non HW boxing but he lost to most of that better competition. Canelo didn't do as good against Mayweather but he also fought Mayweather earlier in his career and Canelo has plausible deniability when someone says he couldn't have handled him at his best.

I agree with you about stacking up alphabet belts in alphabet division being a misleading accomplishment it's part of why I argue so hard against "champ champs" in MMA. However in boxing the division and belt system has been so throughly destroyed that at this point you got to division hop in order to compile a historically notable resume(except HW). It can be called manufactured greatness but what's the alternative?

The Toney win happened when Toney was comfortably at SMW. Hill's losses to Hearns and Michalzeschki (spelling) are separated by like a dozen wins. Glen Jonhson is well above journeyman status. Jones beat Bhop when both were in their primes and lost when he was not (bhop's prime was uniquely long). He beat Tarver when Tarver was in his own career best run. John Ruiz ain't great but he isn't terrible, either. Charles Martin is the worst belt holder ever. Come on now. Don't be shitty to Jones just because you don't like the guy's point.

The whole purpose of it was indeed to be shitty.

Last edited:

Mosley -41
Floyd 36
GGG 35/36
Cotto -35
Kovalev - 36

REALLY idiotic take here. Won't waste time retorting because I'm sure it's already been torn to shreds within the 3 pages here.

Back