How can Canelo be 'Great' when..

Roids

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Every big name on his Resume was 35+ when he fought them?

Mosley -41
Floyd 36
GGG 35/36
Cotto -35
Kovalev - 36

The best prime fighters he has faced was probably Trout? Plant? When has Canelo ever fought a prime killer? I can't see any on his whole resume? The facts prove he only fights old fighters or weak punchers who offer no real threat especially when judges favor him so much.

Is that all it takes to be an ATG? The 4x division champ might sound impressive on paper, along with the resume names, but if you really examine his body of work its nowhere near impressive enough to be in the conversation for ATG status. He is just a HOF level fighter. Mubaku is 34 so he is another mid 30s opponent.

Manufactured greatness sorry. Oscar had a far more impressive career.

Give it a rest already. Kovalev perhaps is one win that can be criticized by Cotto was doing just fine having just beat the lineal MW champ and defended against a legit MW contender before fighting Canelo.
GGG was still universally ranked top 5 P4P by pretty much everyone.
And Floyd Mayweather? Give me a fucking break, what a shit thread.

Give it a rest already. Kovalev perhaps is one win that can be criticized by Cotto was doing just fine having just beat the lineal MW champ and defended against a legit MW contender before fighting Canelo.
GGG was still universally ranked top 5 P4P by pretty much everyone.
And Floyd Mayweather? Give me a fucking break, what a shit thread.

Nothing you say here counters the fact that they were all past their prime and middle aged fighters, and that he has a clear habit of fighting old fighters.

Cotto had just won the lineal MW champ? You mean against the totally shot martinez who needed knee braces just to stand up?

Tell me who is the best prime fighter Canelo fought?

By that logic, does this mean that fighters who are still under 30 have already reached their athletic prime, and their ability starts to decrease right after they turn 30?

Debatable, but it's not like there hasn't been fighters who have been in better shape than they were ever before despite being in their mid to late 30s, such as Mayweather (who beat the hell out of a young Canelo), Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes (who even after his 40s still was a title contender in the early 90s, etc).

Also, that Kovalev win was still phenomenal because the disadvantage that Kovalev had due to him somewhat passing his prime was mitigated by Canelo fighting at a weight class completely outside of his actual size.

The bolded part is a rare trait that not a lot of fighters in their respective divisions tend to take in their career step.

By that logic, does this mean that fighters who are still under 30 have already reached their athletic prime, and their ability starts to decrease right after they turn 30?

The general consensus is that fighters in their mid 30s are past their prime as boxers especially in the lower weight classes below HW, in case you didn't notice they are very close to retirement age at that point, and I assume its not because they are still in their primes. I know the fan boys are going to try and rewrite history to suit Canelo and pretend mid 30s is fighting prime, but I am sticking to historical consensus here.

Debatable, but it's not like there hasn't been fighters who have been in better shape than they were ever before despite being in their mid to late 30s, such as Mayweather (who beat the hell out of a young Canelo), Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes (who even after his 40s still was a title contender in the early 90s, etc)

There are rare exceptions to every rule and apart from floyd all those fighters had clearly slipped in performance. Floyd was still high level and the fight was not even close, which is another big negative to his ATG claims.

Also, that Kovalev win was still phenomenal because the disadvantage that Kovalev had due to him somewhat passing his prime was mitigated by Canelo fighting at a weight class completely outside of his actual size.

Your bolded sentence is just circular, you are saying nothing there. He is soon going to be fighting at 190+ so.

Oscar fought a bunch of beasts in their prime, not just very good fighters but great fighters, he never ducked anyone, yet everyone just raves about Canelo being the greatest mexican. Comedy.

TS, you're not going to receive a like for this nonsense by certain MMA fanboy type of boxing fans.

Your bolded sentence is just circular, you are saying nothing there. He is soon going to be fighting at 190+ so.
I meant that Kovalev slightly passing his prime does not diminish Canelo's accomplishment in that fight since Canelo was also coming in with a disadvantage as well, being smaller than Kovalev in size.

As for him fighting someone in cruiserweight soon? We're noticing shades of how RJJ fought John Ruiz at HW here. It'd be a career defining moment for Canelo if he actually decides to pull it off.

Btw Plant, Saunders, and Callum Smith all had zero losses going into that Canelo fight, and all ended up receiving their first loss. Canelo should probably be renamed the record breaker tbh.

Benavidez’s resume > Canelo’s, obviously.

You can be picky about pretty much any resume In boxing history, BTW.

Last edited:
I meant that Kovalev slightly passing his prime does not diminish Canelo's accomplishment in that fight since Canelo was also coming in with a disadvantage as well, being smaller than Kovalev in size.

But you are just pre supposing this. What we know as a fact is Kovalev was shot, and looked frail, while Canelo was jacked so being 'smaller' does not really fly.

Btw Plant, Saunders, and Callum Smith all had zero losses going into that Canelo fight, and all ended up receiving their first loss. Canelo should probably be renamed the record breaker tbh.

Yes what a real murderers row.

Leonard beat an undertrained Benitez, a blown-up and hard partying Duran, a drained Hearns, a limited Kalule, then lost to Hagler, beat some drained mullet-sporting Canadian dude for two belts and lost to Hearns.

You call that an ATG ? Meh.

Floyd Mayweather Jr beat a very crude Corrales, lost to Castillo, dwarfed Marquez, tag-teamed Hatton with Joe Cortez, beat a shot Miguel Cotto, lost to a shot version of DLH and beat a green Canelo then an injured Pacquiao.

You call than an ATG ? Meh.

RJJ is 1-2 against B-Hop and Tarver, got iced by journeyman Glen Johnson, beat Toney because of his weight issues, Hill when he was Hearns’s and Michalczewski’s leftovers, then 80 yrs old McCallum and Trinidad before defeating the worst HW beltholder ever. Oh, and he got slapped around by Calzaghe.

You call that an ATG ? Meh.

Floyd did also cherry picked to some degree but still fought more quality fighters in their primes. Again I am talking pure facts here about the ages of Canelos opponents.

Halger are you going to address my points or just engage in whataboutism?

Floyd did also cherry picked to some degree but still fought more quality fighters in their primes. Again I am talking pure facts here about the ages of Canelos opponents.

Halger are you going to address my points or just engage in whataboutism?

I address the way you consider boxing resumes, depending on whether if you like the guy or not. We also may address the weird underlying case of ginger envy at some point.

Last edited:
I address the way you consider boxing resumes, depending on whether if you like the guy or not. We also may address the weird underlying case of ginger envy at some point.

You have no idea how I address everyone elses resume's. You seem to assume I have a double standard. Just because I am criticizing Canelo does not mean we need to go over every other boxer in history. Is there something wrong with my standard? Is 35+ not considered past prime in boxing? Why is there such a consistent pattern with Canelo? Co incidence?

You have no idea how I address everyone elses resume's. You seem to assume I have a double standard. Just because I am criticizing Canelo does not mean we need to go over every other boxer in history. Is there something wrong with my standard? Is 35+ not considered past prime in boxing? Why is there such a consistent pattern with Canelo? Co incidence?

There is something wrong with your standard. You dedicate most of your posting time to downplay one single boxer’s achievements with weak arguments. In this very thread your case is about ignoring differences in boxers primes and what we actually got to see in the ring, ignoring the rest of Alvarez’s resume, and most of all ignoring the fact that any bonehead can be picky about literally any resume in boxing history.

Useless thread is useless.

Back