1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How can Canelo be 'Great' when..

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Roids, Dec 22, 2021.

1. SandisLL Brown Belt

One thing that disappoints me are Clen fans.
    Canelo is an undisputed in @ 168 lbs division.
    They are bragging how he will beat Usyk @ 200 lbs.
    It does looks like fan girls yelling and rude crying.
    Our hero ( fanbase had been built properly ) will beat even HW boxers, not alone puny " small " CW boxers.
    And yeah, Clen had cherry picked half alive short notice vodka Kov who barely had dealt vs Yarde in 175 lbs division.

2. Cariñito Brown Belt

Canelo will go down as the 4th greatest fighter of all time behind Salvador Sanchez, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali.

3. SandisLL Brown Belt

He never will do this.
    Fan girls fanbase with rude fans: specific to Canelo, fans are very rude and selfish in comments.
    He isn't even Duran.
    Clauses, jumping up/ down in weight classes, the same bulked up WW Khan for MW title fight etc.

He never will be even Foreman or Frazier, not alone Ali, Holmes, Mike or even Patterson, Floyd or Pacman etc.

Business with Oscar too now is not comfortable to do? Damn.

4. SandisLL Brown Belt

Oscar btw was Oly Gold medalist. Someone show me up clauses, he had put his opponents on when he moved up in weight classes?
    Ali, Frazier, Foreman clauses for opponents? They all too were Oly Gold medalists.
    Holyfield even is more great: where he had jumped up / down in weight classes and put his opponents on clauses and short notice offers?
    Morrison too, where were clauses?

Ok, I know about Patterson and his clauses but he never had used rehydration clauses. Never. Never had used weight clauses, only rematch clauses.
    Rocky never had used any clauses as far as I do know.

5. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Aaaaand right when you thought this thread couldn't get any worse...

Shael, JayE and PUO3 like this.
  6. SandisLL Brown Belt

PBF Floyd Jr. too was great and when with damaged hands: like Lazlo Papp, who was great even with damaged hands.
    To really lesser extent it might be applied even for Briedis ( he looks that sometimes sandbags cos this and had fought according to his opponents ).
    Floyd Sr too was Great boxer.
    I'm boxing not boxer's fan.

7. is a apple

It would be better for everyone involved in this thread if the Jermall Charlo vs Canelo fight ever happened because hell, the former has some major potential and ability that could even surprise us if he were to actually get his wish with a Canelo fight.

Charlo wanted to fight Canelo a long time, bragging about it social media and all that, but GGG is proof that fighters don't need to be bigger in size to match Canelo punch for punch, most of the time. You can even argue that GGG won the first fight.

I know this phrase has been said over and over to the point of it being grating but...

"Never count someone out in a boxing ring when they're hungry and they train as if they literally risk their whole life in that ring"

The above fight should happen because I don't believe for a second that Canelo will face someone such as Beterbiev and/or Bivol, who are dangerous opponents for Canelo to face with their physical power/durability and speed respectively.

8. Kazuky Yellow Card Yellow Card

When you need to come up with theories to justify why someone isn't great, that's how you know he is great. Otherwise you could just point to their record and say "See? He lost all of these fights".

Hagler likes this.
  9. JSN Plutonium Belt

You can even argue that GGG won the second fight. The first almost everyone scored for GGG.

10. Cuttyrock Blue Belt

LOL at all the Canelo haters in this thread Bivol is too scared to fight anybody. Beterbiev is cool but dont see him wanting to fight at CW cause of that size difference

11. is a apple

We still haven't seen that Beterbiev vs Bivol fight yet ya know.

12. Kendodsworth Orange Belt

Not sure if it's been posted but alot of UK media/papers are saying Canelo looking at "growing" up to heavy weight to potentially challenge the big dogs, i.e Joshua, Fury and the gang.

He best start his course of tren and test with a dirty bulk because its going to take some time. When does there become a point when people say "come on now". I love canelo but I'm hoping this is just his managers and promoters talking and the media blowing it out of context.

13. SandisLL Brown Belt

The context in reality is like this:
    Kovalev's cherry picked wreck after Yarde fight easily had been KOed by lads like 28-36 y.o Bet, Gvozdyk or yeah, Bivol. And with ease.

Why 168 lbs division boxer should fight vs someone who is 200 lbs division boxer?
    Marketing talks.
    Makabu with 190 lbs limit?
    He long ago might had bout vs Briedis with 200 lbs limit. ;)Like Bellew.

Makabu recently had beat 40 y.o Durodola and now will beat Mchunu, lad who needed 6 rounds to beat Bolotņiks ( and this was when Mchunu was younger than now ).

14. The Bloody Nine Purple Belt

He won't fight Usyk at CW but he'll fight Fury, AJ, etc, at HW? UK media are full of shit.

In a recent interview, Usyk - who is currently the WBO, IBF, IBO, WBA heavyweight champion - said he was willing to drop back to cruiserweight for a chance to fight Canelo.

At the moment, Canelo is the undisputed world champion at super middleweight - but he appears to be leaning in the direction of moving up, either to light heavyweight or the fight with Makabu for the cruiserweight strap.

Reynoso has no interest in matching Canelo against a highly skilled boxer who recently reached the highest pinnacle in the heavyweight division.

“No, no way, there is no chance that [Canelo] will fight Usyk. He's a heavyweight fighter.

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-trainer-says-no-chance-fight-with-usyk-ever-happens--163154

15. the Kowboy I'll make you Famous Staff Member Senior Moderator

Bro. He hasn't lost yet to be "never that good"...

Rebelfett likes this.
  16. Roids Brown Belt

Hey KAZ , looks like even Canelo's own manager does not believe he can beat Usyk. Maybe you should ring him up and educate him?

17. Blazeblack The man with no plan

A manager who’s fighter is a natural middleweight, doesn’t want his bread and butter to face a heavyweight champion? Clearly his fighter is a cherry-picking pussy!

Hagler likes this.
  18. Roids Brown Belt

Well our friend KAZ not only thinks he beats Usyk but out points him easily, so that was my point. I obviously agree with his manager.

Blazeblack likes this.
  19. listrahtes Black Belt

Honestly just watching Canelo spar vs high level opponents tells the whole story. I dont like some of his matchmaking but he definitely is an unbelievable talent who contrary to near every other boxer developed year after year more and more way into his career. Got now tricks, finer refined game. That is what makes him so special. Even after his GGG fights (where I had GGG win one) he added new layers to his game. Its very rare and imo puts him above some alltime greats I guess others would disagree with me.

20. Roids Brown Belt

What layers did she show against Plant? Chasing him around the ring throwing hay makers which he eventually landed? His opposition has gotten worse since GGG, so it gives the illusion of all the bullshit people like you talk about. In reality he will get exposed if he fights a real elite boxer or beast. Plant is a decent boxer but nowhere near elite and he still had a very competitive fight. To me he is the same basic fighter he always was and I won't change my mind until he out classes or just beats a legit elite opponent.