How can anyone actually give money to the homeless???

Ultimately, how I spend my change and money should be of no concern to you.

But should u ever go homeless remind me to just step over you and tell you to get it together grouch.

I have a couple of friends who used to be homeless. One who used to be an alcoholic and has since done a Masters degree and is a great dad, the other who's a girl who fell out with her family at a young age and is also back on the straight and narrow.

You shouldn't be so fast to judge, because it only takes a couple pieces of bad luck and it could easily be you one day.

This.
Some people, good or bad, can't help but be in a shitty situation.

I agree giving money to a charity is probably better off, but not all the homeless can benefit from certain charities.

I'm not going to say there aren't homeless people that are genuine pieces of shit, because there most definitely are. There are also homeless people that have just fallen on hard times. You are correct about not knowing whether you are giving to someone that is a piece of shit, but you also don't know if you aren't giving to someone that is a genuinely good person down on their luck.

If you have a problem giving them money, because you assume they will just buy booze or drugs with it, buy them a bit of food instead. They will be just as grateful. I don't always give money to poor people, but I will spare a few dollars time to time.

not judging you, but not a cool thread to make right before Christmas

I give to charities and causes AND homeless. I also think you're trying to justify why you don't give money to those on the street by bashing others who do it for your own self satisfaction.

My girlfriend and I had a heated conversation about this a few nights ago.

^
This.

Help someone out, you selfish fuck.

Three great steps from something great (money, chick (partner), whatever), and three steps from the bottom/homeless.

Most people are.

If I have some extra cash, and it "seems" (bad scale, I don't have any system) like they are actually homeless (and, I have some extra cash), I'll kick a few bucks over, sometimes a $5.

I've been poor as dick the last year, and just ONE step/bill from homelessness (maybe, I think some family/friends would let me crash). When some young kid/old dude/chick nearly cries at a couple bucks, it means something.

Or buy an extra burger, drop it off.

I've got some friends who "philisophically" won't give any money to homeless, and friends who work in shelters.

Lots of people out their who dun goofed and anything small can really make an impact. You ever been in darkness of suicidal depression and someone just smiles at you?

This is why the homeless issue will never be solved.

I give money to the homeless when I can; why you ask?

Because I am paying my dues.

All of you fucks have no idea how lucky you have it. There are 7 billion people in the world and you could have been born somewhere in China picking out reusable electronics out of an environmentally-hazardous wasteland.

BTW this seems like a troll thread: I took the bait 8 (

The only way to make sure your money is helping someone is to help them yourself personally.

You never know if someone in the charity is diverting funds elsewhere for their private use.IT doesn't necessarily happen in every charity but it happens a lot.

Nah, either drug addict or scammer. Very seldom is it a genuine plea.

Nah, either drug addict or scammer. Very seldom is it a genuine plea.

Even if it was it wouldn't matter: you already framed your opinion about them under one generalized category.

Then those that weren't do become drug addicts or scammers just to play the game and survive.

Some of you guys feel that they don't deserve the money which is fair enough and understandable. There are ways which you can make them earn the money (bum fights). An important tip is that you need more than one enforcer/ref, sandwiches are also a good prize/reward.

Back