How can anyone actually give money to the homeless???

Giving to a charity is just as risky as giving it to the actual person. You have no idea how much your money is going to advertisements or to someone's paycheck.

So what is the difference? It is pretty ironic that those against giving straight to the poor talk about how they are being scammed and that they will use it for the wrong purposes when it happens in charities as well.

no, thats not true at all. you can research charities and find out what their money goes to and make the decision yourself. you just dont get to be a charity and do whatever you want with the money (unless you are in hollywood).

i notice around vegas, a lot of them will stand with their dogs hoping to get extra sympathy i gues. i always have treats in my car so i will give the dogs treats and nothing to the people

Why does it matter how they wound up homeless? We shouldn't watch people suffer. I routinely give at least a few bucks to homeless people. Maybe they'll spend it on food. Maybe they'll spend it on booze. So what? The homeless guy might need a little pick me up that he isn't going to find any other way. Don't be such a heartless bastard. People are people.

In the local paper today there was a story about a couple expecting their 4th child when the man was involved in a vehicle crash and will be off work for several weeks. My first thought was to feel sorry for them but after thinking about it a little more, I realized how irresponsible this couple is. Having more than 2 children is contributing to overpopulation but having children that you can't take care of is even more irresponsible. When you have a child, you have a responsibility to provide for them in case something happens to you or the children's mother. Life insurance, loss of time insurance and medical insurance are essential. Having more children when you don't have basic protection for the first child is completely irresponsible. Genetics would suggest that irresponsible people produce irresponsible children.

Responsible people have fewer children while irresponsible people have more children which is turning the population into largely irresponsible people.

It's like the ads for charities that feed children in countries where there are food shortages so they can grow up and have children that they can't feed.
You should see the show about the family that had 16 children (all from the same parents). During the filimg the woman was pregnent (of course) and wanted an other one.

I'm pretty sure she mentally unbalanced (addicted to being pregnant and producing offsprings). Don't know what dad did for a living or what insurance they had though.

I'll throw my money at a homeless, if I goddamn want to!

You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

Damn bitch, did you get traumatized or raped by a homeless guy as a kid? Wow.

Why does it matter how they wound up homeless? We shouldn't watch people suffer. I routinely give at least a few bucks to homeless people. Maybe they'll spend it on food. Maybe they'll spend it on booze. So what? The homeless guy might need a little pick me up that he isn't going to find any other way. Don't be such a heartless bastard. People are people.

i dont care how they got there. but if you give to them, why would they feel the need to do anything else to better themselves. easier to hold out a hand than pick up a shovel. i think 95% of the people like myself who wont give to homeless do so not because we are heartless. if we knew that they were just in a tight spot and trying to get better we would be glad to help a little.

the problem is that almost every time you give it doesnt help. whether they learn to just beg instead of work, use it for drugs, alcohol, etc., it almost always does no good for anyone. its the same reason you arent supposed to feed the wildlife. do that and they dont learn to fend for themselves. give handouts to the homeless and all they will learn is to beg.

When i give money to the homeless I know they're likely going to spend it on booze or drugs, but that's fine with me. If that's what gives them a little bit of enjoyment in their otherwise shitty life, than go for it.

Now if I was trying to "save" the homeless, and not just be nice to a stranger, than I would do something different. But the fact is, nobody is getting "saved" unless they actually do it for themselves.

This is really not factually correct for many homeless people.

As part of an investigative article I wrote during my second newspaper internship, I spent time at homeless shelters and met many homeless people as well as people in charge of the city's homeless programs. These programs included a new initiative to get minimum wage jobs for some homeless people, teach them how to live in society and eventually allow them to rent a cheap apartment.

I say some homeless people because once you meet them you realize most homeless people have mental health issues. It's not just drugs; many of them are schizophrenic, bi-polar, etc. Combine that with them coming from a bad family life, or none at all, with nobody willing to pay for their meds and to put them in home and they end up on the streets.

This is the most insightful post in this thread. Not to say there aren't others here that get it. But Space summed up what the TS lacks any understanding of when it comes to this issue. Mental health plays into the homeless issue far more than TS realizes apparently.

I worked as an EMT in and around Chicago for a couple of years during college. We transported psyche patients quite a bit. What a lot of people here with the "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" philosophy are missing is perspective.

To someone that's schizophrenic that concept means nothing. Many people on the streets are too mentally disturbed to even be able to make themselves go into a shelter. You might not understand that but be glad that you don't have to. For many it's a harsh reality.

Will the few bucks I give someone in the street help lift them up or better their situation? For the long term, no. But, for the short term if that person can have a meal in their stomach or a warm place they can go into that they won't get kicked out of because they're actually making a purchase then that few bucks is worth giving.

TS says people only do this to make themselves feel better. Maybe he's right. But the only reason this would affect our conscience is because we possess empathy. I think several people in this thread are lacking in that department. Personally I think it's one of the most valuable traits a human can possess.

That being said, living in a big city I know you have to be smart about the scams that are out there. There's certain "rules" I have for myself when giving. (For example, if you're wearing the latest $150 air jordans you aint getting shit from me.) But, there's plenty of people out there that you can tell just aren't right in the head and that's why they can't get their shit together. I have no problem giving to these people to try to lift their day if only slightly.

You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

You are confusing being stupid with being blindly compassionate. I live in NYC now and see many bums asking me for money much more frequently than ever so I' am kind of torn apart in regards to what to do. In my mind, one dollar can be much more useful to these homeless people than it can be to me.

i'll give my wrapped leftovers from the restaurant or buy an extra sandwich to the homeless. Conciously i know they are being fed rather than spending money on drugs or possibly faking being poor and just collecting.

that said, i've never seen a homeless Mexican..all the cities around the US, the poorest looking ones will hang out waiting to work an honest day labor job. I dont know how they get the stereotype of being lazy.

I've only done it once. I really hate when they come up to your car and "wash" your windshield without your permission and then make your window dirtier in the process.

i'll give my wrapped leftovers from the restaurant or buy an extra sandwich to the homeless. Conciously i know they are being fed rather than spending money on drugs or possibly faking being poor and just collecting.

that said, i've never seen a homeless Mexican..all the cities around the US, the poorest looking ones will hang out waiting to work an honest day labor job. I dont know how they get the stereotype of being lazy.

I've never heard that stereotype personally. It's certainly not true from what I've seen.

I was going to take your advice in this thread and stop giving to homeless people but I realized you could be a child abuser. I'm not gonna listen to a child abuser.

Just got told to fuck off by a homeless bloke so that made my day. God bless those plucky, down on their luck homeless guys.

If I have it, I'll gladly spare a few bones for a homeless person. I choose to trust in God and leave all of the consequences up to him.

And I don't give a frak if you flame me for my statement.

Back