How can anyone actually give money to the homeless???

In Italy, the beggars had to get on their knees with their arms out and their faces to the ground when begging for money. I like that concept.

Disgusting. Shames me to be Italian

TS your fear of 'scumbags' and people giving them money is highly irrational. Since when did anybody loose their house due to hitting their kids or wife? If anything someone that did that would swap roofs with a prison. You say someone that gives a homeless person money has issues. Really? What kind of issues are those you reckon?

Last edited:
They choose to not work, and be homeless. They put themselves in that situation. Why should I give them my hard earned money? Me giving them any money would not in any way change their current situation in life, they'll be in the same spot the next day, next week, next month, etc. [Source: see same 3-4 homeless sitting at the large intersection near my house for the past year]. Also see some explosive woman holding a sign that says misplaced from Hurricane Katrina... seriously that happened like 7 years ago

In my area I'm seeing more and more of these guys just sitting in the middle of the intersections asking for money, it's always the same 3-4 guys, I think they have some sort of agreement for rotations. But any ways on that very same intersection there's always some high school kid, twirling some advertising sign, making minimum wage. It saddens me that the homeless guy sitting there doing nothing makes more money than the kid actually doing work.

Last edited:
http://mises.org/daily/2807

Christmas is often the time when we think it well that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute. In his recent book Discover Your Inner Economist, George Mason University economist Tyler Cowen makes several interesting observations about charity, observations that are perhaps appropriate for a discipline called "the dismal science." As we know that people respond to incentives, if we increase the returns to begging we will see more begging. Cowen points out that in some desperately poor parts of India, people invest resources in attempting to seem more helpless, going so far as to pay to have limbs amputated because it increases charitable alms. Such expenditures are clearly wasteful.

This is discouraging, especially for one who seeks to help others, but it is a necessary implication of changing incentives. Cowen suggests an interesting solution: the most efficient social transfer is accomplished if one gives to those who look like they least expect it. While we may allow concessions for exceptional circumstances, indiscriminate charity may actually be wasteful.

You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

ur right u dont know who they are

thus u cannot judge them TS....sometimes unfortunate circumstances/situations can lead to a life on the streets

in this time of yr about charity, love, & kindness who r we to judge them? if u dont feel obliged to give then dont do it....but sometimes generous actions are appreciated greatly by those less fortunate than u

My dad always went with the view that you should never give homeless people money (because often they just spend it on the thing that made them homeless in the first place), but that it's ok to buy them food.

My dad always went with the view that you should never give homeless people money (because often they just spend it on the thing that made them homeless in the first place), but that it's ok to buy them food.

This is actually a very good idea, and is something I live by. Every human needs food, and money they can spend on whatever, so I usually buy them a meal from a fast food place or something like that.

Judging people that you don't know really shows a lot more about yourself then it shows about them.

I gave a bum some money and he sprung to life and hugged me before I could do or say anything. Since then, I don't give money to homeless people.

I have homeless family members. They were orphaned at a young age and passed around like currency. I give what I can when I can. Food and clothing over money.

I gave a bum some money and he sprung to life and hugged me before I could do or say anything. Since then, I don't give money to homeless people.

so u dont like dem hugs?

17328+-+derpy_hooves+rainbow_dash+transparent.png

Last edited:
I have homeless family members. They were orphaned at a young age and passed around like currency. I give what I can when I can. Food and clothing over money.

Have they done anything to better their situation?

Some people suck at life. But there's a difference between being a fuck up and being a terrible person unworthy of empathy.

sometimes life is complicated

stuff happens...

btw krazykanadian ur a good man

Haha thanks.

Really, the only homeless I can't stand are the really aggressive panhandlers.

There are also homeless here who put their little jars RIGHT in the walking path of people...maybe 3-4 feet away from where they are sitting so that people will trip on the jar, spill all their money, then feel bad for them and then give them more.

Have they done anything to better their situation?

No one taught them how to live. All they know is drug/alcohol/abuse. I know the pain of living in shambles seems far less than ideal to us but that's our perspective. If I get the wrong burger at a drive-thru I'm disgusted and toss it. A homeless guy finds that on top of the trash he's ecstatic. Some people are grained into a lifestyle where they see no need to improve. Its sad some aren't given an opportunity, even worse that some can't recognize one.

No one taught them how to live. All they know is drug/alcohol/abuse. I know the pain of living in shambles seems far less than ideal to us but that's our perspective. If I get the wrong burger at a drive-thru I'm disgusted and toss it. A homeless guy finds that on top of the trash he's ecstatic. Some people are grained into a lifestyle where they see no need to improve. Its sad some aren't given an opportunity, even worse that some can't recognize one.

Yeah, it's not always 'oh this guy must be homeless because he's an idiot.'

Some people have mental problems. Some people are unlucky. Some people invested in the wrong stock and lost everything. Some of them are injured war vets, or war vets with PTSD. Thinking there's a cut and dry reason for someone being homeless is pretty stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back