How can anyone actually give money to the homeless???

Sanosuke

Come at me
@Black
Reaction score
You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

Jesus Christ.

I've given change before, and food. But not anymore. homeless people piss me off now, I'm like jeez go watch pursuit of happiness and get inspired. I've had hobos get an attitude, so they ruined it for all the legit hobos. but most legit hobos all go near the places where a home/kitchen is. the random stragglers in the middle of my suburban town are obviously drunken crackheads.

I'd like to have a conversation with you about this but you're probably a child molesting crack dealer. What am I, stupid? Nah

I give money to charities like the Salvation Army to help the homeless as it is more likely to do some good.

Not trying to get on a moral high horse here, understand, but look at it this way: would you give money to a lone person who claims to help animals, or would you give it to the RSPCA/ASPCA? Who is more likely to do some good?

Help those who help the many, teach a man to fish etc etc

/soapbox

I think it's better to give money to a scumbag than to nobody at all.

I have a couple of friends who used to be homeless. One who used to be an alcoholic and has since done a Masters degree and is a great dad, the other who's a girl who fell out with her family at a young age and is also back on the straight and narrow.

You shouldn't be so fast to judge, because it only takes a couple pieces of bad luck and it could easily be you one day.

You're a terrible human being. If you don't like giving money to the homeless, that's fine, but you don't have to hate on others for doing it.

1. go volunteer at a food bank
B. watch all the ppl coming through who are happy to get any food at all (usually expired/old/thrown out food)
3. think about what you said

i'll give em food.. if im' in the mood anyway

I've worked at homeless clinics, and there are actually some sad cases out there. That said, I hate when people ask me for money. I was on the subway going from JFK to 168th. Had I given $1 to everyone who asked or performed for money, I would have paid out $20 in 1-2 hrs. I also find it laughable when guys with brown bags of beer/booze, lit cigarettes, or nice clothes/accessories asks me for money. In Italy, the beggars had to get on their knees with their arms out and their faces to the ground when begging for money. I like that concept.

I have a couple of friends who used to be homeless. One who used to be an alcoholic and has since done a Masters degree and is a great dad, the other who's a girl who fell out with her family at a young age and is also back on the straight and narrow.

You shouldn't be so fast to judge, because it only takes a couple pieces of bad luck and it could easily be you one day.

I agree that we shouldn't be so quick to judge. I've definitely had some rough times, and know what it's like to be on the verge of hitting rock bottom. However, there are many places that help folks down on their luck (I do social service/non-profit work). Each time I get asked for money, I refer them to the places I know can do more long-term good for them.

Despite the caustic and angry approach, I think your heart could be in the right place in regards to this thread.

Parts of what you say are true, or at least have the potential to be true, and, I do agree with you that giving people fish is a lot different than teaching them how to fish.

What are your thoughts on this article?

STOP GIVING TO CHARITY!

I think it's better to give money to a scumbag than to nobody at all.
I'd rather just keep my hard earned money and spend it on people close to me.

Back