How can anyone actually give money to the homeless???

You have no idea if they beat their wives, abused children, raped someone, etc... or what put them in that situation. If you feel pity for them, then you're stupid. Give money to a charity that you know will put your dollars to a good cause. If you give money to the homeless, not only do you risk giving to a scumbag, but you make them think that they can consistently receive something for nothing. Yes, there may be some homeless people out there who are homeless for a legitimate reason, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If it makes you feel better to give a 20 dollar bill to a beggar on the side of the road, you have issues and are contributing to a never-ending problem, which is only never-ending because of all the other stupid people just like you. Stop being stupid.

It's the same with your friends and family. They all have secrets that you don't know about. Could be bad or could be good. You shouldnt stop giving to decent unfortunate people just because there are scumbags in the world.

It's the same with your friends and family. They all have secrets that you don't know about. Could be bad or could be good. You shouldnt stop giving to decent unfortunate people just because there are scumbags in the world.

Exactly! Wtf kind of question are u asking? How do we know what someone goes through in life, that leads them where they are? If you are going to judge strangers, first judge yourself and your family and friends. Nobody is what they seem, even we don't truly know ourselves.

It doesn't hurt me to throw someone a few coins. From what I know ending up on the streets is a combination of something bad happening to you and exacerbating the situation with bad decisions. I tend not to want to be too judgemental because my life has been pretty smooth. I've never had anything really shitty happen to me.

I give money to charities like the Salvation Army to help the homeless as it is more likely to do some good.

Not trying to get on a moral high horse here, understand, but look at it this way: would you give money to a lone person who claims to help animals, or would you give it to the RSPCA/ASPCA? Who is more likely to do some good?

Help those who help the many, teach a man to fish etc etc

/soapbox

Excellent points!

Sherdog has been pissing me off today and it doesn't usually.

I've given money, food, and dog food. I've never been yelled at by a homeless person for giving food over money.

Charities are hypothetically great, but in reality carry a tremendous amount of overhead, or support causes you may not like. I don't give to Salvation Army any longer because I found out about their anti-homosexual stance a few years ago.

Many of the beggars make very good money at it. A TV investigation program followed several who walked a few blocks, got into their cars and drove to some nice houses. They make more in a few hours begging than many people do working. Their investigations started when somebody reported offering a job to one of the beggars and the guy cursed at him so he called the TV station.

I drive by a food pantry every day and on the days they distribute food there are some of the fattest people I've ever seen in line.

Giving to homeless shelters isn't always a good option either. One of the local ones has such strict rules that they kick most people out but they get free labor from the court system and lots of donations from the public. The guy that runs it was paying himself over 500K a year. Charities are big business.

There was this one time at a gas station in LA when some hagard, drunk homeless guy asked me to let him pump gas into my car. I told him no since it was already pumping itself. He decided to do it anyways. I locked my car while letting him pretend to pump my gas, and went inside to talk to the attendant to see if there was anything he could do. He ended up saying there was nothing he could do, so I went back to my car intending to leave. The homeless guy wanted me to pay him for pumping my gas and I said no. He got pissed off and confrontational. Basically told him to fuck off and got in my car. As I was getting in he forcefully grabbed my arm told me he wanted money for pumping gas. I got out, and after an exchange of words I shoved him really hard and he stumbled backwards, tripping and knocking down a trashcan in the process. Then I got in my car and left. It's one thing to beg, it's another thing to try and intimidate someone into giving you money. In short, fuck homeless people.

i've given food and clothes to the homeless but never money. i know they could trade that sandwich for booze but at least then they get a chance to brush up on their bartering skills.

As far as i'm concerned i give money to whoever and whatever i want or don't want to and i highly prefer to give it to the beggar than to his "saint", how many of those guys went broke and tossed by their loved one did it even crossed your mind a split second ? Because nearly everytime i know of a guy who died a homeless beggar he wasn't actually some crack addict or wife mauler ,she just had some hysteria and mental issues and f'ed up the life of her housband with break up,taxes,the list goes on.

Timewarp, post reply/thread disagreeing with your point of view is being stupid.

You're just proving my point. Of course there are homeless people who aren't rapists or murderers, but you are willing to throw away money for the chance that they aren't? Why not give money to a legitimate charity? That lowers the risk significantly. Are you too lazy to do that so instead you throw change at a guy on a street to reassure yourself that you're a giving person?

people make mistakes... and you don't know what they have been through... i've lived a few days on the streets as a kid, shit ain't funny.... not every homeless guy is a pedophile rapist killer thug.... some people lose their mind because life gave them too many blows... divorce, death of a loved one, disease....

I knew a wealthy kid from a wealthy family who had cancer and just decided to live in the streets because he didn't want to be a problem to his family... I got him beer sometimes or pocketchange

i wouldn't give money to the homeless who asks for it, and certainly not to the one that tries to intimidate me for it...

here there are a lot of homeless families or piss poor families, and giving them some change or food is basically helping them survive... because you know the kids won't have any chance to make it in life. I ain't gonna have a worse life because I gave away a few bucks and I'm thankful for that.

give your money to charity, nine times out of ten half the fucking money or more will keep sticking to their hands for exuberant salaries of their top staff and a little for their employees? You know how much the bosses of many charities make? Anderson Silva money.

You're just proving my point. Of course there are homeless people who aren't rapists or murderers, but you are willing to throw away money for the chance that they aren't? Why not give money to a legitimate charity? That lowers the risk significantly. Are you too lazy to do that so instead you throw change at a guy on a street to reassure yourself that you're a giving person?

I don't like you.

calm down guy. I'm assuming something bad happened with a homeless guy recently? Talk to us little man.

Back