How badly would OWGP Mirko beat Rumble Johnson?

I bet they paid fedor to duck cro cop in that tournament too, right?

no i believe their intention was to give mirko an easy road to the final,build his confidence up,so that hed be at his best when they fought again. Theyd give Fedor the hardest guy they could in the first final match and give mirko the easiest,and then match them up.

Rumble has never lost to anyone standing. Same cannot be said for Mirko. Or even close. Rumble has won the standup with every guy he's ever fought, and most in dominant fashion.

Never lost to anyone in the stand up ?
I for one certainly recall him pretty eager to get to the ground asap and multiple times against Vitor despite having a 12+lbs weight advantage...
The guy was spamming take downs to save his life after the first minute couple of exchanges...

It was not his prime which was rather early 2000's but still his "MMA prime" for sure...
Of course he got beat up by GG 8 monthes later but God knows what happened between..
A lot can happen in 8 monthes ( injury? family concerns..?? what do we know ) but I for one always thought there was a missing piece in the CC puzzle.. that would explain how much he changed..
Even during the Sanchez fight he looked terrible and I thought back then it could be the beginning of his downfall if it wasn't for " cotagon jitters " while watching him KTFO Eddie...

I don't think he changed that much, maybe he was just starting to get past his best physically but doe me really it was a combination of not adapting to a new environment well(partly due to injury), a great performance by Gonzaga and perhaps a decline in motivation. You look at his UFC debut for example and I think he still looks quick and sharp vs Sanchez but ends up chasing him too much in the larger octagon.

We saw prime Mirko KOed by Randleman and for me that Gonzaga fight is similar, it basically needed Gabe to fight the perfect fight and finish inside of a round to win. Generally I think Mirko's style was always a high risk one, a lot of the better MMA strikers actually spend most of the fight picking away from the outside but he hardly ever did that, almost everything he threw was potentially fight ending(a lot of it counters) and that ment he put himself in harms way a lot.

Post Gonzaga is when the decline set in, vs Kongo I think lack of adaptation to the cage and Cheiks cheating were clearly issues as well but by the time of his second UFC run he was clearly not the same fighter at all. Watch the fights vs Sanchez and then Al Turk and its clear Mirko has slowed down a ton in a couple of years as the injuries piled up.

Last edited:
no i believe their intention was to give mirko an easy road to the final,build his confidence up,so that hed be at his best when they fought again. Theyd give Fedor the hardest guy they could in the first final match and give mirko the easiest,and then match them up.

Yeah I believe you are right...
Those maneuvers were typical jap orgz ones to give the fighter they wanted to win the maximum chances...

UxU0T0C.gif

Dit everyone suddenly forget about this? I know Crocop beat him in the rematch, but still.

you guys think im bashing mirko but im not,this is just how pride chooses to do things. You rarely see the fighter themselves at this time being picky with what pride offered them..i think they were just happy to get paid to fight anyone...now look Mirko,and Wanderlei are the two pride's biggest stars... I believe that they wanted Mirko to be the best fighter,because hed make them more money. He was more marketable,he spoke english..etc. Mirko would occasionally take a loss,like against Nog,who they were careful never to match up with him again. They give him fights like coleman,randleman and so on,fights they are more sure he would win,and win brutally,to build his confidence up and make him seem like a world beater with death kos. He loses the fight to fedor and wants to retire. Sakikabara said he had to talk him out of it...so theyve got to get him motivated again...another chance against Fedor in this OWGP stuff,and they give him the easiest guys in the tourney...just look at the brackets in the tourney,tons of huge hws,none of which mirko fights until barnett at the end. With fedor out of the tourney due to injury they just were like fuck it,mirko can win it and he will be the man.When i saw the whole thing unfold i just thought that they did this to keep mirko going,to make him look like the man. To mirkos credit he performed to his standard,but the opposition he faced in this tourney was really nothing to write home about,and people act like he was a God somehow. I just think that is bullshit,and have to say my peace about it. I dont blame any of that on mirko himself. He just takes the fights offered to him,thats his job. But this is how pride wanted to market the HW div. The OWGP was a way to build mirko back up after losing to Fedor.

UxU0T0C.gif

Dit everyone suddenly forget about this? I know Crocop beat him in the rematch, but still.

for a long time this was the most shocking upset in mma history. It literally bought randleman a second career.

UxU0T0C.gif

That's the definition of an upset if there ever was any.
I think Mirko underestimated his stand up...And Randleman is probably the most explosive ( and athletic ) fighter to ever fight MMA at this point so ...
Not that Rumble couldn't land but Mirko was a counter striker, was faster and would have been aware of Rumble's standup..
In my opinion AJ's overwhelming first round onslaught plays exactly into mid 2000's Mirko's strengths..
He would beat him decisively 8 or 9 times out of 10 in my opinion.

UxU0T0C.gif

Shit that happens in a HW combat sport. I don't put much weight in it, Mirko bounced back immediately from that loss.

you guys think im bashing mirko but im not,this is just how pride chooses to do things. You rarely see the fighter themselves at this time being picky with what pride offered them..i think they were just happy to get paid to fight anyone...now look Mirko,and Wanderlei are the two pride's biggest stars... I believe that they wanted Mirko to be the best fighter,because hed make them more money. He was more marketable,he spoke english..etc. Mirko would occasionally take a loss,like against Nog,who they were careful never to match up with him again. They give him fights like coleman,randleman and so on,fights they are more sure he would win,and win brutally,to build his confidence up and make him seem like a world beater with death kos. He loses the fight to fedor and wants to retire. Sakikabara said he had to talk him out of it...so theyve got to get him motivated again...another chance against Fedor in this OWGP stuff,and they give him the easiest guys in the tourney...just look at the brackets in the tourney,tons of huge hws,none of which mirko fights until barnett at the end. With fedor out of the tourney due to injury they just were like fuck it,mirko can win it and he will be the man.When i saw the whole thing unfold i just thought that they did this to keep mirko going,to make him look like the man. To mirkos credit he performed to his standard,but the opposition he faced in this tourney was really nothing to write home about,and people act like he was a God somehow. I just think that is bullshit,and have to say my peace about it. I dont blame any of that on mirko himself. He just takes the fights offered to him,thats his job. But this is how pride wanted to market the HW div. The OWGP was a way to build mirko back up after losing to Fedor.
Vanderlei always wanted a rematch with Mirko, and would say to Mirko's team "Tell your boy I won" whenever he ran into them backstage. Pride wasn't protecting their assets well by matching Silva up with Hunt though.

UxU0T0C.gif

Kind of off-topic but that rematch was sketchy as fuck. I'm almost positive Randleman was paid to take that loss. It was Pride after all.

Vanderlei always wanted a rematch with Mirko, and would say to Mirko's team "Tell your boy I won" whenever he ran into them backstage. Pride wasn't protecting their assets well by matching Silva up with Hunt though.
nor did they by putting him up against henderson right after he was knocked out cold by Mirko.

Kind of off-topic but that rematch was sketchy as fuck. I'm almost positive Randleman was paid to take that loss. It was Pride after all.

I think that the sketchy fixed fights in pride are completley overblown,most people can tell whats fixed and whats not but yes that one seemed fishy and randleman being paid to lose that one could be possible

What a respectful view to take of the dead.

fuck that shit, I love big kev,but i think it could be true! so fuck it. I thought that when he was alive and i think it now. I dont know if its true,but i think it might be.

That's the definition of an upset if there ever was any.
I think Mirko underestimated his stand up...And Randleman is probably the most explosive ( and athletic ) fighter to ever fight MMA at this point so ...
Not that Rumble couldn't land but Mirko was a counter striker, was faster and would have been aware of Rumble's standup..
In my opinion AJ's overwhelming first round onslaught plays exactly into mid 2000's Mirko's strengths..
He would beat him decisively 8 or 9 times out of 10 in my opinion.

well he tricked him. mitko thought he was going to shoot and kev walloped him when his hands came down.Kev had two times previous tried to get a hold of him.

its a good thing too..cos it looks like mirko was about to uncork the LHK

Rumble would probably KO Mirko. The key to beating Mirko is to crowd him. Pressure beats kickers.

nor did they by putting him up against henderson right after he was knocked out cold by Mirko.
I remember arguing back then that I thought Dan won their first fight as well. Vanderlei was known for being a dirty fighter, and the refs made that one easy for him.

Just imagine if Dan went on to fight Saku next like Vandy...

Back