How badly would OWGP Mirko beat Rumble Johnson?

No1 beats the Rumble in a lets punch & kick the face competition .

you think Rumble went from a WW to a 230 lb HW while being clean?
I will say that I vaguely remember rumble popping for weight cutting supplements when he was trying to make ww, but he hasn't been caught for roids.

I will say that I vaguely remember rumble popping for weight cutting supplements when he was trying to make ww, but he hasn't been caught for roids.

He wasn't caught for any weight cutting supplements. He's missed weight a couple of times and was forced to stop cutting for a fight against Vitor.

He did have this to say on the subject of steroids though.

"If you abuse it, of course you are going to get popped for it and do stupid stuff. But if you use it the right way and you just do what you are supposed to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. But with the way the world is right now, hell you can... Everything is all messed up right now. I don't know man. I think if you can do it, do it. I don't have nothing against it. You know what I'm saying? As long as you don't kill nobody."

"Hell, I'm probably about to say something stupid but I'm about to say, either pay us like them (MLB) and then we won't have to use it, or let us use it so we can get to that level. One or the other... Let us do something."

Crocop went out that night and absolutely destroyed Wanderlei like no one had ever done before.

Yah cos it was at HW lol. Cro cop is used to destroying guys three times the size of wanderlei.

He wasn't caught for any weight cutting supplements. He's missed weight a couple of times and was forced to stop cutting for a fight against Vitor.

He did have this to say on the subject of steroids though.

"If you abuse it, of course you are going to get popped for it and do stupid stuff. But if you use it the right way and you just do what you are supposed to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. But with the way the world is right now, hell you can... Everything is all messed up right now. I don't know man. I think if you can do it, do it. I don't have nothing against it. You know what I'm saying? As long as you don't kill nobody."

"Hell, I'm probably about to say something stupid but I'm about to say, either pay us like them (MLB) and then we won't have to use it, or let us use it so we can get to that level. One or the other... Let us do something."

lol @ rumble

Yah cos it was at HW lol. Cro cop is used to destroying guys three times the size of wanderlei.

That didn't help Fedor against Henderson.

But, if the fight was at LHW, would have been the same result. The reason for the destruction wasn't because a size difference it was because of a skill difference. Crocop had the speed, power, the footwork, and he had the perfect counterpunching game for Wand's aggressive style.

You think the results of the tournament would have been different if the pairs in the 1st match of the night were Crocop/Nog and Wand/Barnett or Crocop/Barnett and Wand/Nog?

Either way I see Crocop coming out victorious that night with 2 finishes in the 1st round.

That didn't help Fedor against Henderson.

But, if the fight was at LHW, would have been the same result. The reason for the destruction wasn't because a size difference it was because of a skill difference. Crocop had the speed, power, the footwork, and he had the perfect counterpunching game for Wand's aggressive style.

You think the results of the tournament would have been different if the pairs in the 1st match of the night were Crocop/Nog and Wand/Barnett or Crocop/Barnett and Wand/Nog?

Either way I see Crocop coming out victorious that night with 2 finishes in the 1st round.

I think it speaks volumes that they never put nog against mirko again. Maybe Mirko could have won but we would never know cos pride was too scared. Thats my main problem. The whole thing could have been so much better if they HAD made it like you said. with mirko facing nog in the first fight in final conflict .I dont mean to say mirko isnt a great fighter,but the fans have blown the gp performance way out of proportion .

Also lets not bring up Hendo vs Fedor,my heart cant take much more of that. :D

I think it speaks volumes that they never put nog against mirko again. Maybe Mirko could have won but we would never know cos pride was too scared. Thats my main problem. The whole thing could have been so much better if they HAD made it like you said. with mirko facing nog in the first fight in final conflict .I dont mean to say mirko isnt a great fighter,but the fans have blown the gp performance way out of proportion .

I think they should have made that fight again. It was stupid that they didn't. At the OWGP Crocop would have had the momentum, Nog didn't have strong takedown and standing he was too slow to deal with Crocop, and by this time Crocop had been training with Werdum so he probably would have been able to survive on the ground long enough for a standup. Instead they went with the Crocop/Wanderlei rematch which was a "draw" the first time with some weird rules that gave Crocop the advantage.

I'm mad I never got to see Paulo Filho win the WWGP like he should have if he didn't get injured destroying Misaki.

That's what a lot of people ignore. That GP was absolutely stacked but the top half of the bracket was ridiculously stronger than the bottom. (Just looked at it to refresh my memory)

Cro Cop won and looked like a beast doing so, but that half of the bracket was served up to give him and Fedor an easy path to meet each other in the semis.

Had the tournament used rankings to do traditional tourney seeding it would've been much more impressive. Imo.

I think they should have made that fight again. It was stupid that they didn't. At the OWGP Crocop would have had the momentum, Nog didn't have strong takedown and standing he was too slow to deal with Crocop, and by this time Crocop had been training with Werdum so he probably would have been able to survive on the ground long enough for a standup. Instead they went with the Crocop/Wanderlei rematch which was a "draw" the first time with some weird rules that gave Crocop the advantage.

I'm mad I never got to see Paulo Filho win the WWGP like he should have if he didn't get injured destroying Misaki.

It sucks cos i think Nog improved alot from their first fight just as mirko had.Nog may have lost to barnett,but at that time in his career he was on the top of his game,the Fedor losses didnt do anything to his motivation and fire. He also avenged the loss to barnett later on as well,which was the last time i think we saw Nog at his best. This fight with mirko should have been made. Only reason it wasnt because Pride was scared.

It sucks cos i think Nog improved alot from their first fight just as mirko had.Nog may have lost to barnett,but at that time in his career he was on the top of his game,the Fedor losses didnt do anything to his motivation and fire. He also avenged the loss to barnett later on as well,which was the last time i think we saw Nog at his best. This fight with mirko should have been made. Only reason it wasnt because Pride was scared.

Yeah, I think Nog's boxing had gotten much better at that point, the problem with that was that he was still too slow for Crocop and he didn't have that 1-stop punching power to just end it. Pride definitely should have made that fight, even if Crocop lost again, it wouldn't have damaged him or anything...the Japanese didn't really care about losses as much as they cared about performances.

It's hard to say, but probably Crocop. Especially if they met each other in the final match.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a masochist, I'd like to see Crocop vs Arlovski. I don't care if it's UFC, Bellator, whatever.

Mirko was a beast at that time. Not just in the OWGP but that entire time frame. His striking was a very high level and id Rumble isn't throwing combos, just bolos, he will get countered all night.

1. Fedor
2. Nog
3. Cro Cop
4. Barnett
5. Werdum
6. Overeem
7. Yoshida
8. Fujita
9. Tk
10. Hunt
11. Aleksandr
12. Minowa
13. Nishijima
14. Thompson
15. Zulu
16. Bye

1. Fedor
16. Bye

8. Fujita
9. Tk

6. Overeem
11. Aleks

4. Barnett
13. Nishijima

3. Cro Cop
14. Thompson

12. Minowa
5 Werdum

10. Hunt
7. Yoshida

15. Zulu
2. Nog

This is simply how I would have ranked the competitors at the time, from memory and how that would break down into a traditional, rankings based bracket.

Based on that, Cro Cop would've faced Thompson, probably werdum, and probably Nog to make the finals. Much more impressive than the road he actually took. He won fair and square but the road was set up for that.

This isn't MMA math like A beat B, B beat C, so A will beat C. Rumble has had 26 fights and lost ZERO standing. Cro Cop has lost nearly 10 standing. I don't know how this is even a discussion. Sage is in the early part of his career, climbing the ranks, not fighting guys in the top 10. Rumble has fought plenty of those. To never lose a fight standing in 26 contests is damn impressive. Cro Cop has lost 9 times standing. That's quite a bit.

The majority of Cro Cop's losses come form his UFC KO reel when he was past his prime.

We'll see how Rumble looks@ 46 fights and I'll bring this post up then and see/
i-m-watching-you-o.gif

Ye, after a complete change of rules and fight environment.
Considering almost all of sherdog thought he was going to dominate the ufc with ease, all im hearing out of that is excuses.

Back