How are you in the kitchen?

I'm a good cook but my recipes are somewhat limited.

What I specialize in is baking and cooking with veggies and meats that not a whole lot of people tend to use (like bison, bok choy, napa cabbage, radishes, beets, parnips, sole, swordfish, etc.). I'm a clean freak when it comes to cooking contamination and so I never "mix the spoons". I think my only weakness is still with cooking desserts and fried foods, mostly because I try not to eat a lot of sweet and fried stuff.

I'm a pretty good cook. I'm comfortable cooking just about any cut of meat, I don't kill rice and I can follow an intricate recipe. After using a recipe once or twice I'm able to adapt it to my taste as well. I'm a pretty good baker too, but that's not very manly.

My brother is a chef, so I use him as a crutch when I'm going out of my comfort zone.

I'm a pretty good cook. I'm comfortable cooking just about any cut of meat, I don't kill rice and I can follow an intricate recipe. After using a recipe once or twice I'm able to adapt it to my taste as well. I'm a pretty good baker too, but that's not very manly.

My brother is a chef, so I use him as a crutch when I'm going out of my comfort zone.

pssh. I'll join you in that unmanly act then. I like to bake and do a pretty decent job at it most times too.

Good, but I only make things I know I'll like. I am not responsible for anyone else.

I cook almost every meal I eat. Not microwaving stuff, although it does have its time and place, but cooking up meals. Also don't really enjoy leftovers much. I don't understand why so many people are incompetent in the kitchen honestly. Why would you want to eat trashy when it easy to make something delicious? Not to mention its WAY cheaper to cook a meal then buy one.

I'm a terrible cook, but simply due to lack of interest. If and when I'm in the mood to cook, I can look at a recipe, follow it to fidelity and make it.

I am not bad. I do have a habit of overdoing things, and putting too much seasoning, ingredients, marinating too long, etc., instead of just keeping things simple.

I get paid far too little money to do it, but i'm alright

I can cook, do most of the cooking. Cooked a lamb roast with rosemary and mint last night with baked potato and carrot. Was pretty nice.

I usually clean up after myself. My wife tends to leave a trail of destruction also but she cleans it up as well.

I am a terrible cook but I come from a family full of them.

My grandfather is a retired chef who trained in France before Immigrating to canada. He even appeared a couple of times on a Canadian food network program back in the day. Every single one of his children can cook, although I will say that his sons(my uncles) are in a league all there own. When I have friends come to family dinners they are absolutely blown away by the food.

My dad and grandpa owned and operated a fairly successful French style bistro in downtown Vancouver back in the day as well.

Grandparents taught me how to cook, took a few courses over the years. I can pretty much tackle anything with the proper ingredients/equipment. I tend to keep things sanitary as I go, cleaning before, during and after food prep cooking. My one exception is baking. I don't know what it is, but that damn flour gets everywhere. One minute, I'm flouring a board, the next minute my kitchen and I look like I'm Tony Montana at the tail end of a weekend coke binge.

Last edited:
I'm getting married soon and I do all of the cooking. There is your answer.

KNIFE SHARPENER:
Every time you use your knife, the edge will become slightly less sharp, and you are more likely to injure yourself with a dull blade than a sharp one, as they can slip while you are working. Make sure you buy*a good knife-sharpening steel**and use it each time before cutting with your knife.

Using a steel is definitely good prior to each use, but they are designed to straighten the blade (which warps during usage), rather than sharpen it. Sharpening should be done less frequently as it eventually wears down the knife to the point where replacement is needed. If you have a decent set of knifes, it's best to get them sharpened professionally (unless you have the proper equipment, skill, etc.). If it's a run of the mill standard set, electric sharpeners ($25-75) tend to get the job done fine.

I personally would never use electric but that's my preference, also even the samurai changed their blades when needed so I find it makes sense, and no I wouldn't use a 'run of the mill set' because I enjoy cooking

Nor would I, but not everyone has the interest, time or money to invest in a nice set or proper equipment for blade care either, which is why I stated it in general terms.

Considering trying to get my hands on a Jay Fisher custom knife for the kitchen. He does some exceptional work.

u should do a review of it in this thread

I just might, but I would be surprised if this thread is still around (or that I'd even remember it)n by the time I got the knife. Unless he just happens to have a knife available for sale that I'd settle for, I'm looking at a possible wait time of 2-4 years for one of his custom jobs.

Back