Holly Holm shattered thumb in first round of Valentina fight

Sober diaz
Full camp mendes
Sea level cain
Prime fedor
No cocaine jones
Healthy thumb holm
Pre dumbasstic violence ronda

A couple of these aren't real, such as No Cocaine Jones.

You forgot pre Diverticultis Brock, Motivated BJ Penn, and anyone who fought in Pride, when they were in Pride. (The contracts in Pride said there would be no drug testing, explicitly)

lost due to hurting thumb. should be made a NC.

Yeah, that is why I am asking about medical suspensions after the fight. If there is even a shred of truth to what this manager is saying, I do not believe it would have taken this long to hear about it, most especially because of the severity of the injury, according to the way Fresquez is describing it as both shattered and completely broken in half.

If that really happened in the 1st round, I feel like we as viewers would have noticed it, and Holly would have mentioned in the post fight presser ... and she didn't. I can't imagine anyone with a shattered or broken in half bone of any kind would be sitting at a press table post fight and NOT bring that up if you want to keep it really real .... imo

Very good point, I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that. Broken in half, shattered, whatever, and we knew nothing 'til this point. Eh, little weird.
Time stamp 5:26 pay attention to when Holly uses her left hand to grab at her tank top, thumb can be seen clearly and doesn't appear to be excessively swollen around the thumb or the base/palm of her hand.

I am not a medical expert but severe bone breaks usually also include major swelling around the site of the break ...

Well done Detective 'Nik.

Very good point, I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that. Broken in half, shattered, whatever, and we knew nothing 'til this point. Eh, little weird.

Well done Detective 'Nik.

Haha .. thanks. It was impossible to not dig into it since that manager's story was not very believable imo. Holly seems like a nice and genuine lady, but that manager tho? <35>

Last edited:
Damage control to the max. Holly was fine and interacting with fans at the hotel after the fight.

Shit happens in fights you role with it to the best of your abilities.

War Holly !!!

Shevchenko embarrassed her, the thumb just makes it seem worse. Still a Holly fan though so I hope she keeps up the work rate and gets things back in the win column later this year.

No one embarrassed anyone in that fight don't be so over dramatic.

Didn't know someone could hurt their thumb hitting air.

Last edited:
A couple of these aren't real, such as No Cocaine Jones.

You forgot pre Diverticultis Brock, Motivated BJ Penn, and anyone who fought in Pride, when they were in Pride. (The contracts in Pride said there would be no drug testing, explicitly)

I standby my "no cocaine jones" he was more exciting and flashy b4 he got turnt up

Touche on the ones i forgot though

If true, definitely could have played a part. Holm won the first round did she not? Having a damaged hand can not only affect you physically, but mentally in what you think you can attack with from that point on.

Oh please. That was vintage Holly.

If true, definitely could have played a part. Holm won the first round did she not? Having a damaged hand can not only affect you physically, but mentally in what you think you can attack with from that point on.

Holly won the first round because of the knockdown, but was losing the round both before and after the knockdown happened. I didn't see any change in what Holm was doing or how she was doing things from the 1st round to the 2nd, but I did see Valentina stop trying to counter Holm's forward blitzes with an inside low kick (which was what got her knocked down) and go with the counter right hook instead.

Holly's a really nice lady - everyone says so - but some of the stuff that comes out of her camp makes you cringe. This broken thumb story is right up there with the claims that she "sandbagged" to fool the UFC into giving her the Ronda fight.

AYFKM? ;)

While I of course don't know for sure, I don't find the broken thumb story so unbelievable (tho maybe a bit exagerated).
Iirc has fought (and won there) with a broken arm before (pre-UFC).

And LOL at 'Healthy Thumb Holm' :D

I mean come on, if she really did "shatter" her thumb in the first round of the fight, we would have known about it pretty soon afterwards. They would have used it to justify the loss.

We knew about Joanna's by like the monday

She's not the type to make excuses. She takes her licks and moves on. Her manager is the one that came out with the news.

Back