Historical Military Commander Quiz!

650lb Sumo

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
general-heinz-guderian-among-soldiers-while-studying-a-map-v0-lxrin0bo6dfa1.jpg

Can you name these historical military commanders?

(1) Led the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War
(2) Led the Communists in the Chinese Civil War
(3) Led the Free French Forces in World War Two
(4) Commanded the German Afrika Korps in World War Two; 'The Desert Fox'
(5) Led the Whites in the Finnish Civil War and was Finnish Commander in Chief during the Winter War and Continuation War/World War Two

(6) Commander of the Japanese Navy in World War Two
(7) Sank the MV Wilhelm Gustloff, inflicting the greatest loss of life at sea to date from the sinking of a single vessel (9,400, mostly civilian refugees, medical staff and hospital patients). Also sank the SS Steuben a few days later, killing an estimated 4,267 - again, mostly civilian refugees, medical staff and hospital patients.
(8) Fought in the Russian Army in World War One, then the Red Army. Beaten, tortured and imprisoned in the 1937 Purge, losing nine teeth, which were replaced with metal ones, then reinstated from the Gulag to the Army between the Winter War and Soviet entry to World War Two. Contradicted Stalin to his face and became a top general.
(9) Commander of the German Navy from 1943 to 1945
(10) Commanded the Irish forces at the Battle of Clontarf (against the Norse and their Irish allies), winning the battle but being killed while praying in a tent (if the story is accurate).

(1) Generalissimo Francisco Franco Bahamonde
(2) Chairman Mao Zedong
(3) General Charles André Joseph Marie de Gaulle
(4) Field Marshal Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel
(5) Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

(6) Marshal Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
(7) Captain Alexander Ivanovich Marinesko (Soviet Navy)
(8) Marshal Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovsky
(9) Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz - Raeder, who preceded him, was more important really, but is much less famous.
(10) Brian Boru. Could have been more of a figurehead than a hands-on commander.

The pass mark is 5/10. How did you do?

I got the 1st 4. My son got the 1st 6. He also forgot the names of no. 9. He just told me it's 2 people, one was pro warships, the other was pro submarines.

general-heinz-guderian-among-soldiers-while-studying-a-map-v0-lxrin0bo6dfa1.jpg

Can you name these historical military commanders?

(1) Led the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War
(2) Led the Communists in the Chinese Civil War
(3) Led the Free French Forces in World War Two
(4) Commanded the German Afrika Korps in World War Two; 'The Desert Fox'
(5) Led the Whites in the Finnish Civil War and was Finnish Commander in Chief during the Winter War and Continuation War/World War Two

(6) Commander of the Japanese Navy in World War Two
(7) Sank the MV Wilhelm Gustloff, inflicting the greatest loss of life at sea to date from the sinking of a single vessel (9,400, mostly civilian refugees, medical staff and hospital patients). Also sank the SS Steuben a few days later, killing an estimated 4,267 - again, mostly civilian refugees, medical staff and hospital patients.
(8) Fought in the Russian Army in World War One, then the Red Army. Beaten, tortured and imprisoned in the 1937 Purge, losing nine teeth, which were replaced with metal ones, then reinstated from the Gulag to the Army between the Winter War and Soviet entry to World War Two. Contradicted Stalin to his face and became a top general.
(9) Commander of the German Navy from 1943 to 1945
(10) Commanded the Irish forces at the Battle of Clontarf (against the Norse and their Irish allies), winning the battle but being killed while praying in a tent (if the story is accurate).

(1) Generalissimo Francisco Franco Bahamonde
(2) Chairman Mao Zedong
(3) General Charles André Joseph Marie de Gaulle
(4) Field Marshal Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel
(5) Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

(6) Marshal Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
(7) Captain Alexander Ivanovich Marinesko (Soviet Navy)
(8) Marshal Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovsky
(9) Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz - Raeder, who preceded him, was more important really, but is much less famous.
(10) Brian Boru. Could have been more of a figurehead than a hands-on commander.

The pass mark is 5/10. How did you do?
Got Franco, Mao, De Gaulle, Rommel, Mannerheim, Yamamoto, Donitz. 7/10.

Marinesko is a deep cut. I fancy myself as knowledgeable in major WW2 figures and I've never heard of him.

I got the 1st 4. My son got the 1st 6. He also forgot the names of no. 9. He just told me it's 2 people, one was pro warships, the other was pro submarines.
Yeah Dönitz was commander of submarines before taking command of the whole navy. There were different top brass people with different, competing plans for Germany's resources - basically Plan A (they actually called it Plan Z) was build a big surface fleet capable of defeating the Royal Navy and dominating the sea, but they didn't end up having the time or being able to assign enough resources to that, so they ended up going with Plan B, sink the cargo ships with submarines. Although they ended up not having as many submarines as that plan requested either. Raeder was more in favour of the surface ship strategy and Dönitz more in favour of the submarine strategy.
Got Franco, Mao, De Gaulle, Rommel, Mannerheim, Yamamoto, Donitz. 7/10.

Marinesko is a deep cut. I fancy myself as knowledgeable in major WW2 figures and I've never heard of him.
An interesting character, I remember some titbits about him but will go and read the article and post later.

3/10

Mao, Rommel, Yamamoto

I should have gotten de Gaulle. I never heard of the other ones

Back