Heavyweight is coming to its prime?

Shane Carwin is one I mentioned above...

Then you have JDS

2d7ja4j.gif

Roy Nelson

rx5jcgL.gif

Mark Hunt

Mark-Hunt-KO.gif

And many, many others.

It's hilarious you actually had to explain this. Punching power apparently magically appeared in the last 3 years...

Shane Carwin is one I mentioned above...

Then you have JDS

2d7ja4j.gif

Roy Nelson

rx5jcgL.gif

Mark Hunt

Mark-Hunt-KO.gif

And many, many others.

Roy Nelson did not punch as hard as either guy.

Carwin had 4 ufc wins, 4. Yes he shot up the rankings and flashed big power but his career didnt last long enough for him to be compared to Lewis or Ngannou.

Jds and Hunt are obviously two of the biggest punchers in Ufc history.

Randleman who has zero bjj defense, striking, and cardio was ranked number 2 in pride at one point. He also KTFOed cro cop.

Prime Randleman wouldn't even crack the top 20 in the current light heavyweight division, let alone heavyweight.
Would be curious to see if Prime Randleman could still jump like 10 feet in the air post-USADA

Speaking of Stipe last time he fought anyone under 30 he lost. Miserably!! twice!! So yeah solid argument.
One fight where he got poked in the eye hard and the other one was a tough match against a very game dos santos, going by your logic he wasn't is his prime yet so his losses don't count... I still don't get it how that refutes fight milleage

It's hilarious you actually had to explain this. Punching power apparently magically appeared in the last 5 years...
Tbh I was wondering if it was a troll question... Luckily I had just been digging out gifs for Carwin.

I mean there are so many spectacular one-shot KO artists in MMA history you forget them all Shawn Jordan, Pat Barry, prime Arlovski... Even Big Nog starched Brendan.

I still remember when they could kick too.

728d1039597ae11359cd9b621846f6fd.gif

Then there's the GOAT...

WOW-Fedor.gif

Maybe, I just haven't seen anything from Stipe other than Boxing, even when he had Ngannou on the mat he didn't threatened with submissions that were committed. Stipe is a good fighter, but I have never been impressed with him as a overall mixed martial artist.
He used his wrestling alot earlier on like against Hunt and Gonzaga etc. With age tho the wrestling can be harder and harder on the body

Reactions: Kb7
When did Couture threaten anyone with submissions?
Tim Sylvia, Arsdale, Coleman, James Toney. I know there's a few more I just need to rewatch some of his old fights. It's clear as day that the past generation, Nog, Fedor, Cro Cop, Werdum all had a well versed overall MMA skill. This generation of HW only has power, it's almost like they forgot there is other facets in MMA.

Roy Nelson did not punch as hard as either guy.

Carwin had 4 ufc wins, 4. Yes he shot up the rankings and flashed big power but his career didnt last long enough for him to be compared to Lewis or Ngannou.

Jds and Hunt are obviously two of the biggest punchers in Ufc history.
When Roy sat down on his weight with those big shots he could KO a Rhino - its all he had, and it was extremely feared.

Nobody is comparing Carwin's career, just his punching power, although I would back him against Lewis or Ngannou... Having said that, he came much closer to a title than Frank did.

Tim Sylvia, Arsdale, Coleman, James Toney. I know there's a few more I just need to rewatch some of his old fights. It's clear as day that the past generation, Nog, Fedor, Cro Cop, Werdum all had a well versed overall MMA skill. This generation of HW only has power, it's almost like they forgot there is other facets in MMA.

Couture was not some great submission threat and Stipe would crush him in a match up between them in their prime.

Stipes primarily a striker and Couture primarily a grappler. Of course he showed more diverse grappling. Just like Stipe has shown much more diverse striking.

One fight where he got poked in the eye hard and the other one was a tough match against a very game dos santos, going by your logic he wasn't is his prime yet so his losses don't count... I still don't get it how that refutes fight milleage
This isn’t about my logic it’s about the lack of yours. You said age is overrated. Yet the only two times Stipe has fought non geriatrics in UFC his record had zero wins to show for. None whatsoever.

Same goes for fight mileage Stipe doesn’t fight. His entire career is shorter than Fedors reign. There’s been discussion about stripping him for inactivity multiple times already.

Your lame ass attempt at trolling is so obvious. You are trying to hype the single weakest division in mma. What’s next: the bright future of LHW? Lol FYI a guy who has been fighting for three decades is ranked number one over there lol

mma has no talent pipeline at hw. Look at the rosters, dinosaurs and relics all over it. The lighter weights have evolved and had a great deal of talent pouring in. Heavies not so. Unless you have low standards and are a complete noob to mma.

When Roy sat down on his weight with those big shots he could KO a Rhino - its all he had, and it was extremely feared.

Nobody is comparing Carwin's career, just his punching power, although I would back him against Lewis or Ngannou... Having said that, he came much closer to a title than Frank did.

Because he fought a lesser opponent. Carwin would of had no chance against Stipe or Dc. I just dont think you can say hes one of the biggest punchers ever when hes got one ko over a top 10 opponent in his entire career.

He used his wrestling alot earlier on like against Hunt and Gonzaga etc. With age tho the wrestling can be harder and harder on the body
True, maybe it's just me but I I really haven't been impressed with Stipe. No diminishing his skills that he has that got him to be champion, but he really hasn't impressed me or made me go "wow."

True, maybe it's just me but I I really haven't been impressed with Stipe. No diminishing his skills that he has that got him to be champion, but he really hasn't impressed me or made me go "wow."
He is one of the best HW's to ever compete. He toughed it out with some heavy hitters. The problem is that there isnt much glory to be had in this era of HW. He unfortunatley rose when JDS and Cain were already diminished,and some will think one means the other. I very much enjoyed his trilogy with DC. High level MMA

Because he fought a lesser opponent. Carwin would of had no chance against Stipe or Dc. I just dont think you can say hes one of the biggest punchers ever when hes got one ko over a top 10 opponent in his entire career.
I can say Melvin Manhoef was one of the biggest punchers ever, and he was a MW that never fought in the UFC - we're not comparing records, we're comparing how hard the bodies hit the deck... Semtex, McFederies, Irvin...

To discredit Carwin over lack of cage time is silly.

This isn’t about my logic it’s about the lack of yours. You said age is overrated. Yet the only two times Stipe has fought non geriatrics in UFC his record had zero wins to show for. None whatsoever.

Same goes for fight mileage Stipe doesn’t fight. His entire career is shorter than Fedors reign. There’s been discussion about stripping him for inactivity multiple times already.

Your lame ass attempt at trolling is so obvious. You are trying to hype the single weakest division in mma. What’s next: the bright future of LHW? Lol FYI a guy who has been fighting for three decades is ranked number one over there lol

mma has no talent pipeline at hw. Look at the rosters, dinosaurs and relics all over it. The lighter weights have evolved and had a great deal of talent pouring in. Heavies not so. Unless you have low standards and are a complete noob to mma.
And almost all the times gus faced a black guy he lost so what? If he lost a fight to a guy under 30 its his kripitonite? Like he could never improve? What hell of a logic is that its that and yes age is overrated frank edgan won a fight against a top 10 bw some months ago at 39 so bw sucks now?

There is way more fighters at the hw division today than ever before and thats a fact, the whole point of age not being a issue was broght up because fight milleage as i argued is way more important although some fighters deal with it better than others. I know you want to defend fedor so bad and nostalgia is something we all hold, but i was only using age as an example on why it doesn't always hold value

OK, get your cards ready, it's time for Pride Fanboy Fetish bingo!

Mark it down when you see these phrases come up in the thread:

- "lost to Struve once"
- "that wasn't prime Fedor"
- "no technique"
- "Nog's head movement"
- "Olyenk is still ranked"
- "Prime Crocop's TDD"
- "Nog had Olympic level boxing"
- "lost to Mark Hunt"
- "Prime Mark Coleman"
- "Ngannou would get exposed"
- "Heath Herring would be champion today"
- "Fujita's chin"
- "Igor's power"
- "Did you see Nog's fight with Kharnitonov"
- "Overeem's Chin"

Couture was not some great submission threat and Stipe would crush him in a match up between them in their prime.

Stipes primarily a striker and Couture primarily a grappler. Of course he showed more diverse grappling. Just like Stipe has shown much more diverse striking.
I guess, I just really haven't been impressed with Stipe. I just don't know what it is, I have a feeling it's due to me being more of a fan of the lower weight classes that I grew up watching 170/155/145 where you really can see skill and talent.

- "lost to Struve once"
- "no technique"
- "Nog's head movement"
- "Prime Crocop's TDD"
- "lost to Mark Hunt"
- "Prime Mark Coleman"
- "Fujita's chin"
- "Igor's power"
- "Did you see Nog's fight with Kharnitonov"
- "Overeem's Chin"
there was at least 3 of them already

I can say Melvin Manhoef was one of the biggest punchers ever, and he was a MW that never fought in the UFC - we're not comparing records, we're comparing how hard the bodies hit the deck... Semtex, McFederies, Irvin...

To discredit Carwin over lack of cage time is silly.
Agreed. Manhoef,Carwin and mcfedries had abnormal power

- "lost to Struve once"
- "no technique"
- "Nog's head movement"
- "Prime Crocop's TDD"
- "lost to Mark Hunt"
- "Prime Mark Coleman"