Heavyweight is coming to its prime?

Oh yeah the good old argument of age, thats why a certain goat got his ass kicked in the west as soon as he etered the cage at the bold age of 32
Except the increase in age correlates with a decrease in turnovers in the top ten rankings. Furthermore, when fighters who competed back in Pride are still ranked in the top ten today, you know the division has regressed.

Emelianenko passed his prime by 2008 because he'd been competing in both MMA and Combat Sambo for ten years, not because he was 32 years old.

Yes.

That's why pride fanboys are trying so hard to discredit the division and fighters in it.
Im a pride fanboy and I dont discredit it. I am sick of people saying HW sucks,and worse,that it always did.

There's nothing overrated about ngannou. He's the hardest hitterand one of the freakiest heavyweight in mma history.
A few guys have had similar/more power through the years... Shane Carwin is the most obvious example.

PTkGUsk.gif

0FCjOf5.gif

BCHY5TH.gif

ColdSomeFish-max-1mb.gif

He was a lot more crisp too, much less wind-up, and he had an iron chin.

Frank is a lesser version without wrestling.

There have always freaks in HW, just right now he's the most visible, but they'll be back.

Last edited:
Fedor beat UFC champs back to back when he came to the US, you dumbass.
Talking about his losses here budy, anyway his first loss was when he was 34 at the same age stipe was coming to his prime im just quoting the guy here on his "age" factor truth is its not even fair to consider this as a thing because fight milleage is a lot more important and he knows this

How about you evaluate their skillsets by watching their fights instead of just looking at their age? Is that too hard for a simple minded casual like you?
Heavyweights have become more one-dimensional over the last ten years.

And resorting to ad hominem attacks only makes you look bad, not me <Lmaoo>.

Its not the English; by all means brother, good effort as a 2nd language, no disrespect there.

It's a false startement because there have always been extremely heavy hitters at HW, and the guys you mentioned arent standout, including Ngannou, who is woefully overrated.

Right please name these historic fighters with ond punch power like Lewis or Ngannou.

Randleman who has zero bjj defense, striking, and cardio was ranked number 2 in pride at one point. He also KTFOed cro cop.

Prime Randleman wouldn't even crack the top 20 in the current light heavyweight division, let alone heavyweight.

Its not the English; by all means brother, good effort as a 2nd language, no disrespect there.

It's a false startement because there have always been extremely heavy hitters at HW, and the guys you mentioned arent standout, including Ngannou, who is woefully overrated.

Right please name these historic fighters with ond punch power like Lewis or Ngannou.
Nope, there hasn't been a HW that has a moniker of a Mixed Martial Artist in the HW division since DC retired. If Jon Jones is jet set on fighting at HW than he's the next HW that actually has overall skill other than punching power that the rest of the HWs seem to rely on.

HW Fighters of this generation are horrible, they literally have no skill when it comes to overall MMA. Randy Couture cryptid ass has more skill than these this generation

If you think Randy has more skill than Stipe youve let nostalgia turn you into a fool

Except the increase in age correlates with a decrease in turnovers in the top ten rankings. Furthermore, when fighters who competed back in Pride are still ranked in the top ten today, you know the division has regressed.

Emelianenko passed his prime by 2008 because he'd been competing in both MMA and Combat Sambo for ten years, not because he was 32 years old.
Isn't about fight milleage then? Plus the old pride legends are getting out of the top 10 one by one ( strange thing overeem is still relevant to this day since he competed a lifetime in combat sport, could that be bacause he could adapt and the goat could not?) plus the average age is decressing again and how could this be a relevant metric when there were basically no heavyweights back them compared to now? The division is bigger than ever

Yeah yeah i know there are gonna be some pride nuthuggers here, but hey what can you do this is sherdog after all

Anyway heavyweight is looking better than ever right now, we have an all time great in stipe, murderous punchers like the sport have never seen before with ngannou and lewis and rozenstruik, pragmatic wrestlers like blaydes, super complete guys like cyril gane and tom aspinall on the upcoming and still some old legends that although shot still can put on a good show and serve as gatekeepers. Fuk even guys like tanner boser look impresive for their speed, this is the first time in a long time i can see at least 5 guys on the hw division that could become legit champions.

tenor.gif

The newest new breed is here everyone.

Prime HW was over 15 years ago.

Talking about his losses here budy, anyway his first loss was when he was 34 at the same age stipe was coming to his prime im just quoting the guy here on his "age" factor truth is its not even fair to consider this as a thing because fight milleage is a lot more important and he knows this

Stipe started fighting a decade after Fedor did, and he still doesn't have as many fights.
We will see where Stipe is with a decade of mileage and 30+ fights on the body.

Embarassing I had to explain that to you.

When were the multi dimensional? When they had special rules made for them like cro cop in his pride debut or minotauro basically having jiu jitsu and a tough chin? The top 10 hw's of today whith some exceptions have pretty well rounded guys

Stipe started fighting a decade after Fedor did, and he still doesn't have as many fights.
We will see where Stipe is with a decade of mileage and 30+ fights on the body.

Embarassing I had to explain that to you.
So why is about age? I was responding to the other guy there, i think you could get some irony

If you think Randy has more skill than Stipe youve let nostalgia turn you into a fool
Maybe, I just haven't seen anything from Stipe other than Boxing, even when he had Ngannou on the mat he didn't threatened with submissions that were committed. Stipe is a good fighter, but I have never been impressed with him as a overall mixed martial artist.

So why is about age? I was responding to the other guy there, i think you could get some irony

It's not all about age of course, but what is undeniable is a division of dudes in their 20s and early 30s, is much better and more athletic than a division of guys in their mid and late 30s.

Which is exactly why HW has sucked bullcock in the past 10 years.

Randleman who has zero bjj defense, striking, and cardio was ranked number 2 in pride at one point. He also KTFOed cro cop.

Prime Randleman wouldn't even crack the top 20 in the current light heavyweight division, let alone heavyweight.

Randleman was the type of fighter who'd KO a top 3 LHW in one fight, and then lose to an unranked LHW via sub in his next fight.

Dude was like the larger version of Michael Johnson. Could beat anyone and lose to anyone. Crazy athleticism and speed, but there's always a chance a WSW fighter subs him lol.

Oh yeah the good old argument of age, thats why a certain goat got his ass kicked in the west as soon as he etered the cage at the bold age of 32
Anderson Silva? He actually after getting subbed by flying shit in Japan entered the Ufc and went on its best run!

Maybe, I just haven't seen anything from Stipe other than Boxing, even when he had Ngannou on the mat he didn't threatened with submissions that were committed. Stipe is a good fighter, but I have never been impressed with him as a overall mixed martial artist.

When did Couture threaten anyone with submissions?

Speaking of Stipe last time he fought anyone under 30 he lost. Miserably!! twice!! So yeah solid argument.

Back