Heavyweight is coming to its prime?

He is one of the best HW's to ever compete. He toughed it out with some heavy hitters. The problem is that there isnt much glory to be had in this era of HW. He unfortunatley rose when JDS and Cain were already diminished,and some will think one means the other. I very much enjoyed his trilogy with DC. High level MMA
Definitely, Stipe X DC is the fight that made interested in the HW division again, the last time I felt that excited was Cain vs Werdum. I just don't know what it is, like I mentioned in my other post. I'm more of a fan of the 170 & under divisions and they definitely changes my outlook from seeing that to a HW fight. I'll come
around.

Igor had the fairy twinkle dust in his fist. Even when he cut down to LHW

Definitely, Stipe X DC is the fight that made interested in the HW division again, the last time I felt that excited was Cain vs Werdum. I just don't know what it is, like I mentioned in my other post. I'm more of a fan of the 170 & under divisions and they definitely changes my outlook from seeing that to a HW fight. I'll come
around.
Im def up for the Ngannou/Stipe rematch,and what will come from there.

Fuck.

I forgot about Igor.

<{chips}>

By the rules of the game - it's allowed (and expected!) to combine some of the phrases, especially when there is no evidence to support them.

So something like "Igor's underrated TDD" would qualify

around.
Where does your AV come from?

Igor had the fairy twinkle dust in his fist. Even when he cut down to LHW
Bas Rutten has forgotten hands, but he was destroying guys with palm strikes back in the day... Always wished he would fight in Pride.

Forgot about Hendo too... Guy could punch out the sun.

Bas Rutten has forgotten hands, but he was destroying guys with palm strikes back in the day... Always wished he would fight in Pride.

Forgot about Hendo too... Guy could punch out the sun.
I think people could still utilize those from the guard.

I think people could still utilize those from the guard.
I used to train Wing Chun, and there are loads of palm strikes involved... They're devastating, and a lot less risky to your hands... I loved using a upwards little counter-shot on the nose - so much more accurate and fast, and youre ready to defend quicker too... I dont know how he was knocking then down with body ahots without breaking his wrists though - some of those angles he drove them in from looked dangerous.

I guess the whole "open handed" thing could become an issue in the UFC - easy to slash the eyes when you use go open handed... In fact it's encouraged.

Once in a lifetime heavyweight division! Ngannou is a SCARY guy, he might not just be the best fighter currently in the ufc but the greatest but OF ALL TIME. Stipe, the resume speaks for itself, he's beat the who's who of the heavyweight division, quite possibly the best fighter we have EVER seen. Cyril Gane/Tom Aspinal is an up and coming talent, he has BRUTAL kickboxing and DEVISTATING submissions, this guy may just be the next greatest fighter of ALL TIME.

<30>

I used to train Wing Chun, and there are loads of palm strikes involved... They're devastating, and a lot less risky to your hands... I loved using a upwards little counter-shot on the nose - so much more accurate and fast, and youre ready to defend quicker too... I dont know how he was knocking then down with body ahots without breaking his wrists though - some of those angles he drove them in from looked dangerous.

I guess the whole "open handed" thing could become an issue in the UFC - easy to slash the eyes when you use go open handed... In fact it's encouraged.
Its also hard to guage the distance if your trying to avoid them. Me i dont think id use them standing up as much as id use them in the guard. Need much less distance to do damage. Or yes from the bottom too.

Its also hard to guage the distance if your trying to avoid them. Me i dont think id use them standing up as much as id use them in the guard. Need much less distance to do damage. Or yes from the bottom too.
I just used to use them for counters/stoppers when guys came in... A little smack up, not on the nose and you could really pick your shot afterwards, its a bewilderinglg painful strike to absorb.m with no windup.. Albeit I never really stuck with training anything after a while, I'm no expert, but that was my personal experience with using them.

Thinking back, Chael used a lot against Anderson... "Boxed his ears" as Joe called it... More like clapping his eardrums to me, but same thing i suppose.

Nope, there hasn't been a HW that has a moniker of a Mixed Martial Artist in the HW division since DC retired. If Jon Jones is jet set on fighting at HW than he's the next HW that actually has overall skill other than punching power that the rest of the HWs seem to rely on.

HW Fighters of this generation are horrible, they literally have no skill when it comes to overall MMA. Randy Couture cryptid ass has more skill than these this generation
Sad but mostly true

There are a few guys that have some skill and decent movement but not many

In years past the top 10 had guys with elite skills in grappling striking or an elite mix of the 2

1.jpg

Heavyweight has been dying since 2012.
Lol. If you make up your own criteria to fit your agenda, of course you’ll get results that support it.

Not really, few good prospects but nothing highly promising imo.

I guess, I just really haven't been impressed with Stipe. I just don't know what it is, I have a feeling it's due to me being more of a fan of the lower weight classes that I grew up watching 170/155/145 where you really can see skill and talent.

Yet you were impressed with Couture? A hw is never going to have the all around skillset a lw will but they also have huge power. I like all the divisions for different reasons.

I can say Melvin Manhoef was one of the biggest punchers ever, and he was a MW that never fought in the UFC - we're not comparing records, we're comparing how hard the bodies hit the deck... Semtex, McFederies, Irvin...

To discredit Carwin over lack of cage time is silly.

I agree he had huge power but to consider him one of the greatest punchers in Ufc history hed have to have more than 4 ufc wins.

Btw all those guys fought in major orgs for years and years. The only major org Carwin fought in was the Ufc.

Back