IMO, Heavyweight is better than ever

BrockLesnarsTurtleBack

Professional Expert
@purple
Reaction score
-Almeida is a 250lbs very athletic very explosive guy who has grappling game reminiscent of Khabib. Nobody had MMA grappling this advanced 10+ years ago
-Aspinall is a 260lbs man who moves like a Middleweight, has elite boxing, great power, high wrestling and submission skills.
-Jon Jones self explanotary
-Ciryll Gane is also super athletic, 260lbs freak with striking more advanced than Tyson Fury's, also showed how little wrestlers without elite athleticism can do against him vs Spivak
-Blaydes is an elite wrestler with KO power, explosiveness in a 260lbs frame. Yes finds ways to lose important matches, but would've been a champion in many past eras
-Pavlovich is a KO machine, again massive massive guy, guys this big didn't have this kind of skills 20 years ago

Then you have guys like Rozenstruik, Tuivasa, Volkov all who would've been top fighters in past eras. There's never been this many athletic, explosive big 260 lbs fighters with high MMA skills in the sport before.

Deontay Wilder could march in tomorrow and be top 5. Same with Rico Verhoeven.

Pride HW Division was more skilled P4P

But most of those HW's back then would be better off fighting at lower classes if they were coming up today

Just way more well rounded, but they aren't as big as the current HW's, but they have more skill imo

Pav reminds me of Sergei Kharitonov

I wouldnt say better than ever, but it is definitely not as bad as its made out to be. Aspinall, Jones, Pav, Gane, Jailton and Blaydes would be in the mix in any era.

Deontay Wilder could march in tomorrow and be top 5. Same with Rico Verhoeven.

Pereira would destroy those legs in two shots, if not one. Wilder will prob lose to Nate, don't see him doing well in MMA against the big boys.
hqdefault.jpg

Jailton is 230lbs w/ no striking and his grappling got exposed. LOL @ not finishing Lewis. He joined Shawn Jordan and Tony Johnson.

Pav got MURKED by a past prime 40yo Reem in 1 round.

Prime Blaydes got dropped twice and almost KOd by 45yo grandpa Hunt. And couldnt even finish him.

Volkov and Tybura are top 20 journeymen in PRIDE era or 2011-2013 UFC HW era. Yet theyre top 5-10 guys now. Martin Budiay (LMAO) is a ranked UFC HW. 1 round cardio Romanov who robbed a 43yo Espino who hadnt fought in MMA for years is ranked. 40yo Marcos Rogerio De Lima. Tanner Boser was ranked 2 years ago.

Lewis and Tai became top 5 in this era. Club fighter Chris Daukaus became 7th ranked and in B2b main events. Its one of the weakest in a while.

Aspinall is the only special HW. And I guess Gane too but he has white belt grappling skills and got outwrestled by a man on 1 leg witha torn ACL/MCL.

Jon is retiring soon. Stipe is 42 so those 2 are irrlevant going forward.

This is not saying very much. You could argue this most times.

I remember that time in the early 2010s when they had enough good HWs to do a HW only card. I think that's as good as it got tbh.

Pereira would destroy those legs in two shots, if not one. Wilder will prob lose to Nate, don't see him doing well in MMA against the big boys.
hqdefault.jpg
Good thing Pereira isn't a heavyweight yet, though I have been saying that Pereira would clean out the entire heavyweight division. Besides, Jones has skinny legs and yet he's the GOAT.

Your opinion needs work.

This is not saying very much. You could argue this most times.

I remember that time in the early 2010s when they had enough good HWs to do a HW only card. I think that's as good as it got tbh.

2010s was definitely the peak of HW, but to be fair, that HW only card was only the main card and it included Big Country vs Dave Herman, Struve vs Lavar Johnson and an at the time virtually unknown Stipe vs Shane Del Rosario (RIP). so it wasnt exactly stacked even then.

EVERY UFC Heavyweight could rag doll Wilder. He may be able to catch some of the fat and slow ones before that happens, but his chances are low against any top level MMA fighter.
Ray Mercer knocked out a Tim Sylvia that had fought for the UFC interim heavyweight championship the previous year. The gulf isn't as big as you think it is.

2010s was definitely the peak of HW, but to be fair, that HW only card was only the main card and it included Big Country vs Dave Herman, Struve vs Lavar Johnson and an at the time virtually unknown Stipe vs Shane Del Rosario (RIP). so it wasnt exactly stacked even then.

Regardless that is the only time in modern MMA where HW was 10 deep. Remember Roy Nelson was on a impressive run and got nowhere close to a title shot.

-Almeida is a 250lbs very athletic very explosive guy who has grappling game reminiscent of Khabib. Nobody had MMA grappling this advanced 10+ years ago
-Aspinall is a 260lbs man who moves like a Middleweight, has elite boxing, great power, high wrestling and submission skills.
-Jon Jones self explanotary
-Ciryll Gane is also super athletic, 260lbs freak with striking more advanced than Tyson Fury's, also showed how little wrestlers without elite athleticism can do against him vs Spivak
-Blaydes is an elite wrestler with KO power, explosiveness in a 260lbs frame. Yes finds ways to lose important matches, but would've been a champion in many past eras
-Pavlovich is a KO machine, again massive massive guy, guys this big didn't have this kind of skills 20 years ago

Then you have guys like Rozenstruik, Tuivasa, Volkov all who would've been top fighters in past eras. There's never been this many athletic, explosive big 260 lbs fighters with high MMA skills in the sport before.

This is a troll thread lol.

Not even that subtle.

Back