Has anyone ever successfully watched Dune?

May I recommend to you Eraserhead directed by the same person David Lynch

Dune ended up being a movie studio editing fiasco for Lynch who originally wanted the final cut to run almost 4 hours but the studio honchos made him chop up nearly 2 hours out of it so he butchered it on purpose cut out about 2/3 of the entire first 2 hours but only a 3rd of the second half. If you read the book you will understand the pacing during the first 90 minutes is just too unbalanced however once things slow down in the last 30 to 45 min it starts to look like the film Lynch wanted to make from the get go.

Eraserhead is pure David Lynch with no one looking over his shoulders. You think sitting through Dune was an ordeal then try Eraserhead on for size.
Eraserhead is just... something. I would recommend Twin Peaks. I think that was his best work

Dune is hot garbage though you are right Clippy. I watched the miniseries as a teen when it came out: I think the whole franchise might just suck ass

sting.jpg
It's a mess, but parts of it are unintentionally hilarious. I read that Sting was supposed to do this nude and was down to do it, but the producers chickened out in the end and came up with the space diaper. At least he had a six pack.

I wonder what Lynch was thinking shooting this scene. The camera seemed to... dwell... rather a lot.

I was excited to see it in theaters when it came out because i had read the novels.

Hugely disapointed, and I haven’t tried to see it again since.

Eraserhead is just... something. I would recommend Twin Peaks. I think that was his best work
Dune is hot garbage though you are right Clippy. I watched the miniseries as a teen when it came out: I think the whole franchise might just suck ass

My recommendation was based on the way the experience of watching Dune was being expresssed not necessarily based on seeking out Lynch's best work. Most folks can never get into Lynch's style but Eraserhead to me transcends genres and is a unique experience more than anything else. It is Something as you mentioned and it is something only Lynch could have done

My recommendation was based on the way the experience of watching Dune was being expresssed not necessarily based on seeking out Lynch's best work. Most folks can never get into Lynch's style but Eraserhead to me transcends genres and is a unique experience more than anything else. It is Something as you mentioned and it is something only Lynch could have done
I would say Say Blue Velvet before Eraserhead as that at least feels like you are watching a "movie".

I would say Say Blue Velvet before Eraserhead as that at least feels like you are watching a "movie".

I love Blue Velvet absolutely but that is a more linear story whereas Eraserhead gives off a much more trippy etherial vibe that is similar to what was being expressed while watching Dune

I honestly only watched it because I thought the books were too nerdy even for me, but I still wanted to know why nerds were into it.

Also, it had Patrick Stewart. Shrug.

You might not have recognized him in his energy box

2ktgnvspzlkv.gif

But at least he tried to save the Royal pug

source.gif

When it comes to Lynch I really just recommend The Straight Story and Elephant Man.

Which happen to be by far the least Lynch-esque of his movies.

I love Blue Velvet absolutely but that is a more linear story whereas Eraserhead gives off a much more trippy etherial vibe that is similar to what was being expressed while watching Dune
Yea I guess Eraserhead is......uh...technically a movie. So it's got that going for it. I'm glad that i watched it but it was difficult for me to get through.

Yea I guess Eraserhead is......uh...technically a movie. So it's got that going for it. I'm glad that i watched it but it was difficult for me to get through.

Is it also horribly slow paced and terrible to watch?

Is it also horribly slow paced and terrible to watch?
Yes and it doesn't take place in reality but in a back alley of a nightmare.

It's something to see but not going to be for everyone.

Yes and it doesn't take place in reality but in a back alley of a nightmare.

It's something to see but not going to be for everyone.

That doesn't look like it's for anyone!!

It’s long, odd, and sometimes slow. But I would still watch it over garbage like Fast and Furious, or Aquaman. I loved 80s sci fi, even the bad ones are more fun to watch than a Rock movie.

Back