Has anyone ever successfully watched Dune?

Yea I guess Eraserhead is......uh...technically a movie. So it's got that going for it. I'm glad that i watched it but it was difficult for me to get through.

I remember watching it and I remember thinking Eraserhead was brilliant.

but I can't remember if I saw Eraserhead

That doesn't look like it's for anyone!!

so true <Oku02> There are a few here I look forward to reading and Clippy you are one of them. I only recommended the movie Eraserhead because the way you described watching Dune made laugh so I was hoping to hear your reaction to Eraserhead.

When it comes to Lynch I really just recommend The Straight Story and Elephant Man.

Which happen to be by far the least Lynch-esque of his movies.

Very True and both were very solid films.

I remember watching it and I remember thinking Eraserhead was brilliant.

but I can't remember if I saw Eraserhead

so true <Oku02> There are a few here I look forward to reading and Clippy you are one of them. I only recommended the movie Eraserhead because the way you described watching Dune made laugh so I was hoping to hear your reaction to Eraserhead.

ha ha thanks friend

My reaction would probably be something like "so I woke up on my recliner hours later"

I can't bring myself to watch something that's potentially worse than Dune :p

ha ha thanks friend
My reaction would probably be something like "so I woke up on my recliner hours later"
I can't bring myself to watch something that's potentially worse than Dune :p

I understand just seeing your reaction to the 4 min chicken dinner nightmare scene was good enough.

I've managed to sit through it. I read the first few books and then watched the film adaption and the mini-series adaption. The movie is dogshit, with terrible pacing and pointless changes from the book that add nothing to the experience. The mini-series is decent enough, but shows its limited budget in a number of places.

Coincidentally, here is (some of) Jodorowsky's DUNE bible that was shopped around Hollywood, rejected (due to Jodo's vision of a 14hr long fucking piece of OMG), and ultimately borrowed (some might argue plagiarized) -- therefore shaping much of cinematic sci-fi of the 80s. As the story goes, what we now regard of film science fiction owes a huge debt to a film that was never made.

The film isn't a great adapation of the book but as a piece of entry level Lynch weirdness I think it works quite well, the mini series was aweful cheap tat IMHO.

When it comes to Lynch I really just recommend The Straight Story and Elephant Man.

Which happen to be by far the least Lynch-esque of his movies.
I love the Lynchian style, but Elephant Man is just a great movie that I'd recommend to anyone even if they hate everything else by Lynch. John Hurt gives an all time great performance, not to mention Anthony Hopkins. The black-and-white photography and the music are also wonderful.

Straight Story is simple and straightforward, with a lot of poignancy but a hint of hope. Very enjoyable movie for sure.

I read that some people thought the ending was anti-climactic, but I thought it was fitting

It doesn't matter that we don't hear what the brothers say to each other, or even if they say anything at all. The point is that these brothers have been estranged for years, and most likely neither of them has long to live, yet one made the improbable journey to see the other one last time, and there will be at least some level of reconciliation between them.
That doesn't look like it's for anyone!!
It's a simple story about the fear of fatherhood

That is like the most longest most boring movie ever - I tried once and ended up in a weird waking coma and my tongue went numb

Better or worse than Star Trek The Motion Picture?

I made it through the whole thing at the theater when it came out.

I love the Lynchian style, but Elephant Man is just a great movie that I'd recommend to anyone even if they hate everything else by Lynch. John Hurt gives an all time great performance, not to mention Anthony Hopkins. The black-and-white photography and the music are also wonderful.

I've never really connected with Lynch when he does his more out there stuff, but I get why people like it.

Maybe it's partly because he sticks to the same actors a lot of the time and I don't think he really gets the best stuff out of them... I find that they give better performances under other directors. But then once in a while you get a guy like Dennis Hopper running wild in Blue Velvet and it's something to behold.

That is like the most longest most boring movie ever - I tried once and ended up in a weird waking coma and my tongue went numb

You obviously haven't see 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I have both Dunes (movie and series). The movie was ok, I actually enjoyed it. The series, not so much.

View attachment 714047
It's a mess, but parts of it are unintentionally hilarious. I read that Sting was supposed to do this nude and was down to do it, but the producers chickened out in the end and came up with the space diaper. At least he had a six pack.

I wonder what Lynch was thinking shooting this scene. The camera seemed to... dwell... rather a lot.

Now you have me confused. Wasn't the one with Sting the series? Hmm, either way I liked the one that didn't have Sting better. Been a long time though.

they arent that complex - I'd say less so than game of thrones

either way, Denis Villeneuve is making a new one (at least a trilogy) and its out this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

should be awesome considering the people involved
Yeah I'd say poorly constructed more than anything. The main thing I remember is every character and plot thread is presented like it's book 4 instead of book one.

Like hey dude I am NOT familiar with this universe, stop and explain WHY these people and events are important.

Good point. I was unaware that was the case. It would be interesting to see the directors cut.

I would, too.

Unfortunately, he was so pissed off about the entire experience that he refused to make one (and usually won't even talk about it).

I've tried many times but never get past the first 10 mins.

Back