Has anyone ever successfully watched Dune?

I am so happy with this redo (actually, the third redo - there was a trilogy in the early 2000's). The original was a mess. The author said the key was not to emulate Star Wars but to draw more from Lawrence Of Arabia. It is about time we got another epic trilogy in a world dominated by series now. Give me a solid plot, stunning cinematography and a Hans Zimmer soundtrack and I am good!

I actually love how weird the first movie was, even though it deviated from the book, often in odd ways. The Weirding Modules were a fucking joke. The books were so long and complicated that it is a hard story to tell in a two hour format. I've read all the Frank Herbert Dune books, and I felt like the Lynch movie got across the vibe of the world very well, even though it wasn't faithful to the book. The Sci-Fi channel version was way more faithful to the books, but it was also more boring, and I feel that is missed the mark on how it portrayed the Harkkonens (i.e., not weird enough like Lynch). I haven't seen the new movie, and might not, because it's probably full of SJW gheyness like everything else that comes out of Hollywood.

I’ve avoided it out of respect to David Lynch, who hates it & disowned it. I’m a huge fan of his work, he’s given me so much; I figure the least I can do in return, is not watch the thing he hates / wishes he didn’t do / feels was all fucked up by other people messing with it

I actually love how weird the first movie was, even though it deviated from the book, often in odd ways. The Weirding Modules were a fucking joke. The books were so long and complicated that it is a hard story to tell in a two hour format. I've read all the Frank Herbert Dune books, and I felt like the Lynch movie got across the vibe of the world very well, even though it wasn't faithful to the book. The Sci-Fi channel version was way more faithful to the books, but it was also more boring, and I feel that is missed the mark on how it portrayed the Harkkonens (i.e., not weird enough like Lynch). I haven't seen the new movie, and might not, because it's probably full of SJW gheyness like everything else that comes out of Hollywood.

There's not really much of any SJW shit. Lots of diversity but it doesn't feel overly forced. We'll see what the sequel is like, if they really push Chani into the forefront and make Paul a background character in his own story.

I recently bought the bargain bin shit quality DVD for $5 and very crude looking movie. Didn't see how some people are bananas over this franchise.

The Cha Aska blasting the ground reminded me of some DBZ invisible ki attack.

I am so happy with this redo (actually, the third redo - there was a trilogy in the early 2000's). The original was a mess. The author said the key was not to emulate Star Wars but to draw more from Lawrence Of Arabia. It is about time we got another epic trilogy in a world dominated by series now. Give me a solid plot, stunning cinematography and a Hans Zimmer soundtrack and I am good!
Whoa.

I have never read the books, nor had I have seen the 1984 version the movie. However, I went out last weekend with a bunch of people from work.

Halfway into the movie, I said to the guy next to me (who read the books years ago) "This is just a retelling of Lawrence of Arabia, right?"

Dune was weird. Visually spectacular but I hadn’t the foggiest clue as to what was happening. It felt long whilst having great pacing. Not sure about it lol. I think I would just simply say I liked it.

Edit: I was speaking of the current Dune. Haven’t seen Lynch’s version. Yet.

Very bad and annoying movie, Dune (2021) is a different story.

I liked the new Dune although I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever either. But the 1984 version seems way too tedious and boring. But the TS's opinion of Dune (1984) is also my opiniono of Blade Runner.

Sci-fi channel's Dune was way better. Need to see this new one. Never made it through the 1984, and I've tried.

I loved it as a kid, watched it multiple times

It was in there with my fav B-movie sci-fi films like

And one of my favs

They always had memorable scores/themes

Really though I think the new film did show you why Lynch went with the sound weapons, it was a way of taking the more mystical fighting style and showing it in a fashion that didnt need masses of exposition. Generally as well I think it benefited from Lynch's ability to build up a mystical portentous atmosphere.

This version did take itself seriously but honestly I felt it ended up being mostly an action film, the set peices were certainly "epic" but I felt it was lacking in character effectively building up the setting, when it tried to do the latter it ended up feeling very exposition heavy compared to Lynch. We didnt really end up with much of a feeling of the major political players just good guys vs bad guys on a setting with sand worms and honestly by the last hour I was lookign at my watch quite often.

The inclusivity as well to me seemed a bit half hearted to me as well when really you hard a very strong female chaarcter there for the taking in Jessica who ended up being very passive and uninteresting.

Back