Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

tumblr_lx9odwYwcK1r9oyooo1_400.gif

2005 ADCC Euro Champ

guiness record for consecutively holding 3 belts

k1 champion

Guiness has a record for belt quantity? He's yet to win a title in mma that means much to anyone or defend them against much anyone.

K1 champ is pretty damned impressive (though that bracketing...) but ADCC Europe isn't

Moussasi - He's fought in K1, was a dutch amateur boxing champion, and was going to compete in ADCC. He's got tremendous judo aswell but i'm not sure how it holds up against world class judokas.

he was the dream and strikeforce HW champion :|

but ya..........only the UFC means anything to anyone :rolleyes:

You're right.... Cause beating Paul Buentello & Todd Duffee on 2 weeks notice means you're the greatest fighter to ever walk the Earth

No one in MMA is 'world class' at 2 different arts. World class is a pretty fucking difficult thing to accomplish in ANY art. Guys devote their whole lives to being there.

Anderson Silva

World class striker

World class at makin dudes look foolish

i don't think there is a fighter who's world class in 2 arts YET. maybe 10 years from now we'll see one but the closest would have to be overeem: k1 and adcc champ however we'll never know if he did it without artificial muscles.

i don't think there is a fighter who's world class in 2 arts YET. maybe 10 years from now we'll see one but the closest would have to be overeem: k1 and adcc champ however we'll never know if he did it without artificial muscles.

Fedor was. Sambo and Judo.

Alistair Overeem does not have world class grappling, but it is good. ADCC European Champion doesnt mean he's world class, who did he beat there? Nobody in the ADCC tourney. Also MMA and K1 doesnt count, otherwise you could count Fedor with the Sambo worlds and Pride, NCAA Champs and UFC titles (Coleman, Randleman).

You're right.... Cause beating Paul Buentello & Todd Duffee on 2 weeks notice means you're the greatest fighter to ever walk the Earth

wait he beat them on 2 weeks notice?

thats actually pretty impressive

Lil Nog was almost boxing for Brazil's national boxing team and he is a very highly esteemed BJJ black belt.
Vitor was originally a BJJ guy and is basically an adopted Gracie, however he has made his name by his ridiculously good stand-up.
Nick Diaz is pretty much the same. World class BJJ under a Gracie and has pro boxing experience.

Joe Rogan. National Tae Kwon Do champ. Number 1 MMA commentator. World Class podcaster. World Class proponent of isolation tanks, shrooms, and calling people bitches.

Well, we all know Anderson Silva's striking accumen. I remember reading an article saying that he would do well in K-1.

Add to that, he submitted a BJJ Black Belt in Travis Lutter.

First of all, K1 is not a martial art. It's stand up striking and he would be obliterated by Schilt, Hari, Ghita, Saki, and of course Overeem. I would even say that if he were to have faced Bernardo in 2003 or 2004 when he considered entering he might have been put into a coma.

As far as a martial art, maybe Anderson could have done so-so in Muay Thai. However, his legs are too small and he would have been eaten alive by guys like Nathan Corbett and Ramazan Ramazanov. His elbows may look cool to the casual MMA fans but he wouldn't be able to pull it off on guys that train to defend those sort of strikes for a living. I would even say that he would have a difficult time with Clifton Brown, hell he may lose to almost all guys top 50 in the world in a pure Thai fight.

Lyoto Machida is world class in Karate, BJJ, and high level in Sumo. I would bet he is truly world class at Judo as well, but I don't think he has ever competed in it. But he can definitely be, or at least once could be, competitive at world championship levels in Karate, BJJ and Sumo in his weight class.

Lyoto has beaten Rafael Lovato Jr in a BJJ Superfight.
Lyoto has won world-level Karate Championships.
And was a national level Sumo runner up and supposedly champion also.

20090518061624_IMG_7097.JPG

Lil Nog was almost boxing for Brazil's national boxing team and he is a very highly esteemed BJJ black belt.
Vitor was originally a BJJ guy and is basically an adopted Gracie, however he has made his name by his ridiculously good stand-up.
Nick Diaz is pretty much the same. World class BJJ under a Gracie and has pro boxing experience.

There are quite a few guys who are world-class in one art, and great at another, but not also world-class.

Back