Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

Has anyone mentioned Fedor in Judo and Sambo? Similar martial arts, I suppose, but still separate.

And to this...
k1 maia and shields

on a serious note i think jon jones has the ability to be world class in both
Bones would get worked in K-1, and ADCC level grappling tournaments (which I'm assuming is the second martial art you're talking about). He excels in striking in MMA because of the risk of the takedown (not just reach/technique), and excels on the ground because he wears people down standing first (not just size/technique).

I think he'd fare better in grappling vs striking though. He might be able to grab a hold of one of his power-chokes on a few high-level guys and make them tap before they figure out what's happening (a la O'Brien, Bader, Machida), but he would get subbed by most top BJJ guys. However, in pure striking matches, he'd just get handled. He's not a combo puncher and he doesn't have enough power to one-punch top strikers with K-1 gloves, and his footwork isn't good enough to stay away from their combinations for more than a round or two, regardless of his reach.

Nick Diaz in BJJ and boxing.

He had fights either promoted or close to getting promoted between Braulio Estima and Jeff Lacy/or Vargas.

No other MMA fighter can even come close to that other than Alistair.

LMAO. You're using matches that ALMOST got made? Lol.

The answer is clearly no, all of those answering yes should be slapped.

Few athletes would have that kind of versitility.

Overeem? Come on, get off his stick. That's just hilarious. Same with Diaz.

The fact that you compete in a sport does not make you world class or elite in it.

Explain, please?

I'll take a crack at it and say that Nick's plodding-style and lack of head-movement would not translate well into prize fighting (like not sparring). He'd get touched too much to be effective.

Baby Jay is quicker than Nick, and has better head-movement and defense (IMO).

How good is Gunnar Nelson's karate? Wasn't he supposed to be pretty good or at least a highly touted prospect before he went into grappling?

Back