Has any MMA/ UFC Fighter ever been truely world class at 2 arts

Nick Diaz in BJJ and boxing.

He had fights either promoted or close to getting promoted between Braulio Estima and Jeff Lacy/or Vargas.

No other MMA fighter can even come close to that other than Alistair.

Aldo's beaten world-class grapplers in pure grappling and he's one of the best strikers in MMA as a whole.

Joe Rogan. National Tae Kwon Do champ. Number 1 MMA commentator. World Class podcaster. World Class proponent of isolation tanks, shrooms, and calling people bitches.

+1, sir.

Alistiar Overeem, K1 Grand Prix champ and has participated in ADCC as well. I think he was a European champ or something

European Trials Champ, I think in 2003 or 2006, cannot remember tbh. I came in to basically say this.

You'll never really know because if someone is good enough to compete at 2 different martial arts then they'll just do MMA. That's kind of what MMA is anyway.

One of the main purposes of MMA..wouldn't make sense for a multi-dimensional fighter to limit himself to one sport. On the other hand, if he's capable and can succeed, more power to him. Overeem is the first person that comes to mind though. MMA/K-1

Just as PRIDE legends are remembered by MMA fans - the ones who are familiar with that time period. The new fans from the TUF or FOX era most likely don't know much or care about them.

So in that same regard, I believe new MMA fans that will come to the sport in 5-10 years from now will barely know or even care about GSP or Anderson.

I wouldn't be surprised if history will repeat itself, and the new generation of MMA fans will say that GSP and Anderson fought in a time period when "fighters were not evolved and competitions were easier" or "fighters were mostly jacks of all trades and masters of none". :icon_chee

I get you but others will hear of them and we'll still remember them as greats.

I agree with pretty much everything except I think new fans wil remember gsp and silva because they fight in the ufc and will be in the hall of fame. Its like people that never have seen ali fight and say he was the greatest boxer of all time

That's kind of what I was thinking too, great example there bringing Ali up.

Kid gave Zambidis a competitive fight while it lasted and his base was Wrestling so you have a point there.

Kid took Masato, the champion, to a distance, even knocking him down once. And almost made it to Japan's Olympic wrestling team, which is no joke.

Lil Nog was almost boxing for Brazil's national boxing team and he is a very highly esteemed BJJ black belt.
Vitor was originally a BJJ guy and is basically an adopted Gracie, however he has made his name by his ridiculously good stand-up.
Nick Diaz is pretty much the same. World class BJJ under a Gracie and has pro boxing experience.

Rogerio, Belfort and Diaz in Boxing wouldn't be world-class.

Nick Diaz in BJJ and boxing.

He had fights either promoted or close to getting promoted between Braulio Estima and Jeff Lacy/or Vargas.

No other MMA fighter can even come close to that other than Alistair.

BJJ ok but Boxing Diaz is far from being world-class.

Meh, Jones is still very green on the ground imo.
He still extends his arm when he is in the guard and he almost got submitted.

not sure if trolling. jones choked machida (who is a legit bjj black belt) out. he also subbed vitor who was a bronze medallist at adcc. he subbed rampage who is nearly impossible to sub and he subbed bader who is a ncaa wrestler

Kid took Masato, the champion, to a distance, even knocking him down once. And almost made it to Japan's Olympic wrestling team, which is no joke.

Yep that fight too and I consider Masato one of the best K-1 fighters there has been. Kid was so talented, he wasn't the same when he came to the UFC he could have done way better. Well that's how it goes.

Back