Has anderson silva ever faced a good striker?

Gastelum literally rocked Adesanya once with a head kick. He hit him with a nice hook, but Adesanya's feet were out of position. Adesanya beat Gastelum up for four rounds.
Did we watch the same fight? Sure adesanya won but it was a very competitive fight

I dont doubt he's a very good striker himself but who has he faced that was also a good striker? at current mw we have guys like israel, whittaker, gastelum and even darren till who are very good strikers ( at least mma level ) anderson never faced anyone similar to this guys
.{<huh}
Says all.

<Cage33>

• Whittaker's karate > boxing got tooled by Wonderboy.
  • Gastelum struggled against Hendricks, Weidman (wrestlers).
  • Israel won a "McGregor / Cowboy" like fight against A. Silva.
  • Till got plowed by wrestler Woodley.
Not bashing your OP, just the level.

No, i jyst dont think the guys he fought come even close to the striking in the mw division today, of course himself was a very good striker but the oposition? Pretty average, vitor was the best but there was never someone like adesanya in the division

How old is Izzy? 31? He fought a striker in his mid 40's after a million high-level kickboxing matches.

Vitor wasn't the best. Vitor was a beast in the early days of non-testing, but went on a very long hit and miss streak. Silva destroyed Franklin twice, who at the time was the best MW in the world. Then destroyed Hendo, who was a double champ in Pride. I can keep naming names but it doesn't really matter if you didn't know the magnitude of the competition he was facing a the time.

Goes from doing the matrix against Bonnar and his fans saying he is in his prime to getting fucking embarrassed the next fight and gets Ko'd and was wayyyyyyyyyy out of his prime apparently. You really think anyone is going to be that stupid to believe that?!
Not way out of his prime, but that wasn't prime Andy

But you'd have to be pretty stupid to believe a 38 year old man fighting for almost the 40th time is still in his prime. That's just not possible

But then again you think Fedor never lost in his prime, so apparently his prime ended at age 33

I always thought in his prime ping was a hard match up for Anderson. Lots of feints and combos and angles. The best style to put away a counter striker.

Last edited:
  • Vitor was very good and very dangerous. He was KO-ing pretty much everyone he fought until he faced Anderson
  • Rich Franklin was considered a quite good striker for his era. Anderson made him look like an amateur...twice
  • Hendo was never the best technical striker, but had dynamite fists and was a very good fighter when he faced Anderson. He'd just given Rampage all he could handle for 5 rounds in a LHW title fight. And he'd beaten Vitor and Wand in Pride not too long before that. And he finished Fedor just a couple of years later
  • Nate "Ask Tyron Woodley if I'm a good striker" Marquadt
While Anderson fought a lot of grapplers, he definitely faced some quality strikers--certainly more than Chuck Liddell faced as a champ.
Dam bro you said Nate vs T-Wood. Nate popped in that fight.. Even before USADA became the Gestapo. Imagine the level of gear Nate was on to pop back then.

Not way out of his prime, but that wasn't prime Andy

But you'd have to be pretty stupid to believe a 38 year old man fighting for almost the 40th time is still in his prime. That's just not possible

But then again you think Fedor never lost in his prime, so apparently his prime ended at age 33
Another that doesn't get what prime is.

Vitor, Bisping, Cote, Okami oh and we cannot forget Nick Diaz!

Prime Silva beats every MW and LHW who ever lived except perhaps Jones

Cormier?

Silva was weak against wrestlers, we know this. Silva is a Mt. Rushmore GOAT but he did face some favorable match-ups and weak competition arguably, in a way at least. I think DC beats him, but then we are talking a guy who fights HW against a MW. But I think Cormier beats a prime Silva too, but Silva could catch him as well.

This is mostly why I never bought into Silva.

Maybe it's the fact that I never saw him in his prime, but he fought alot of guys who didn't have GREAT striking, so I was never convinced of his greatness as one.

The most dangerous fighters Anderson faced were TRT Vitor and Hendo, whom he demolished. That's 2, arguments can be made for Nate and Franklin. The truth is that after Anderson demolished Leben and Franklin twice, no one wanted anything to do with the MW division. The evidence for this observation is that once Anderson lost the belt, the MW division became incredibly deep with guys from the LHW division dropping down like Lyoto and Bisping who both went on to have great careers.

Silva has fought & beaten a number of dangerous strikers. Good strikers on the other hand is debatable. IMO a good striker is someone who knows how to systematically probe his opponents & create openings, use various deceptions to setup his shots, and combine both of the above to take apart his opponents. If we go down the list of Silva's opponents, Adesanya and Diaz are the only ones who really meet those criteria.

Not really. Belfort, but that was before he really got into the test. Wasn’t the same dude that beat down Rockhold & the other two guys. Hendo wasn’t really the hendo we came to know after getting on test when he fought Silva either. Who else? Maybe some of the no name jap “kickboxers” he mowed over in Pride had some decent technique. I dunno, none of the guys he fought ever really struck me as “scary” guys. Maia & leites? Newton? Fryklund? Forrest grifin? Bonnar? Some of the least terrifying contenders ever. Leben was scary I guess. I enjoyed watching Anderson Silva fight though, his fight vs Jeremy Horn is an all time favourite of mine

I can never put Fedor nor Anderson Silva up there with Jones, Aldo, & GSP because they cherry picked way too often & their divisions absolutely sucked. 205 hasn’t been too stellar since jones has been on top, but the guy is relentless & takes on all comers

FW & WW when Aldo & GSP were reigning were absolute warzones. Wanderleis run in Pride was more impressive to me than Fedors & Andersons as well

Back