Has anderson silva ever faced a good striker?

The UFC has historically been a wrestler heavy organization. How many top tier athletes with resumes to back it up have come and gone through the UFC? Not very many in fact. And how many of those "Good" strikers have joined the UFC when they weren't already washed up? A high level striker with an experienced background entering the UFC at a relatively young age is almost non existent bro. I mean bloody hell Israel left kickboxing with a knockout loss too and he's been in 80+ kickboxing fights.

If Israel is considered a high level striker by any standard and if Andersion Silva at 40+ years old who is on a steep decline can hold his own against Israel, I'd say Silva's striking is good and probably even better in his prime.

Tony was 40 years old, which is still Young for a HW … and he still lost vs Randy & Randy was almost 50 years old.

Randy destroyed an elite boxer.

Well, Henderson did this...

giphy.gif

And Nate did this...

giphy.gif

This thread has been done to death. Fucking newbie.

I would favour the team of Vitor, Hendo and Murray in a striking battle vs Whittaker, Kelvin and Till. Wouldnt surprise me at all if at least one of the three gave Israel serious trouble on the feet too.

Tony was 40 years old, which is still Young for a HW … and he still lost vs Randy & Randy was almost 50 years old.

Randy destroyed an elite boxer.

Did he beat James Toney in a striking war? Randy went straight for a take down on an outshape pro boxer who has no ground game what so ever. Hell, James Toney only took a fight because he needed money. The UFC paid him like 500k for the fight.

What kind of stupid question is this? No offence TS, but looking at your join date and posing this question...I'm guessing you're very new to MMA.

The biggest problem with new fans is that they don't know the history of the sport, and all the names on a good fighter's resumes seem like cans because they all eventually fall from grace. In response to your question, Silva was heavily criticized for ONLY fighting other strikers and avoided top tier wrestlers for the longest time. That's why the Sonnen fight was so big.

What kind of stupid question is this? No offence TS, but looking at your join date and posing this question...I'm guessing you're very new to MMA.

The biggest problem with new fans is that they don't know the history of the sport, and all the names on a good fighter's resumes seem like cans because they all eventually fall from grace. In response to your question, Silva was heavily criticized for ONLY fighting other strikers and avoided top tier wrestlers for the longest time. That's why the Sonnen fight was so big.
No, i jyst dont think the guys he fought come even close to the striking in the mw division today, of course himself was a very good striker but the oposition? Pretty average, vitor was the best but there was never someone like adesanya in the division

• Vitor was very good and very dangerous. He was KO-ing pretty much everyone he fought until he faced Anderson
  • Rich Franklin was considered a quite good striker for his era. Anderson made him look like an amateur...twice
  • Hendo was never the best technical striker, but had dynamite fists and was a very good fighter when he faced Anderson. He'd just given Rampage all he could handle for 5 rounds in a LHW title fight. And he'd beaten Vitor and Wand in Pride not too long before that. And he finished Fedor just a couple of years later
  • Nate "Ask Tyron Woodley if I'm a good striker" Marquadt
While Anderson fought a lot of grapplers, he definitely faced some quality strikers--certainly more than Chuck Liddell faced as a champ.
Love the “ask Tyron if I’m a good striker “

Lol

Why not, gastelun rocked adesanya multiple times, his boxing is very crisp, you think he's a bad striker? Common
Gastelum literally rocked Adesanya once with a head kick. He hit him with a nice hook, but Adesanya's feet were out of position. Adesanya beat Gastelum up for four rounds.

The first striker he fought that could actually use feints and pressure reasonably well was Weidman, and we saw how that worked out...

Prime Silva beats every MW and LHW who ever lived except perhaps Jones
I think he beats Jones. Thiago beat him. Reyes beat him. No reason to think the God of MMA striking couldn't put Jones' lights out.

I guess the conversation starts at what is considered a great striker? Hendo is an MMA legend for his power and grit, but he is a mediocre striker.
Would definitely disagree with that.

If you put away prime epic strikers with striking, you are a great striker.

Would definitely disagree with that.

If you put away prime epic strikers with striking, you are a great striker.
Kind of like Kevin Randleman? I don't want to insult your intelligence yet, so I'll give you another try.

I dont doubt he's a very good striker himself but who has he faced that was also a good striker? at current mw we have guys like israel, whittaker, gastelum and even darren till who are very good strikers ( at least mma level ) anderson never faced anyone similar to this guys

And won
Nick diaz.. vitor belfort.. hes faced alot of the greatest strikers in the damn sport

Nick diaz.. vitor belfort.. hes faced alot of the greatest strikers in the damn sport
I may agree with vitor but nick is a good boxer no doubt but not a great striker, he gets hit a lot and defence is part of striking, but hey, maybe i just have a recent bias

• Fedor has never been under anything close to USADA testing. He had zero testing in Pride and Scott Coker orgs (Strikeforce and Bellator) aren't much different. Overroid, Bigfoot, Barnett and Werdum all tested clean in SF then got busted in the UFC. So that's not the least bit relevant. For all we know, Fedor may have juiced to the gills for most of his career
  • Anderson still had pretty good speed and reflexes in his late 30s, but he was by no means in his "prime." He was able to matrix guys like Okami and Bonnar but Weidman was young and good enough to catch him...especially when Anderson just basically gave him a clean shot at his face which was dumb.
Any more softballs or logical fallacies?
You dont understand what prime means. Good chance you think we are talking about transformers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back