Hank Azaria to quit voicing Apu on ‘The Simpsons’ cuz Racism

Good its about time. Time to get all the british out of american cinema too. So offensive

I dunno, Simpsons stop being relevant in the mid 2010s. This is coming from someone who used to watch it religiously in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The whole concept of the Simpsons is that show makes fun of American culture through characters that embody the worst stereotypes. Nobody's offended that Homer is the person representing white males, but of course people lose their shit if an "oppressed" minority is involved. They don't want equality, they want to be eternal victims.

I find that lady who voices Bart disturbing, I mean she's a scientologist, who knows what these creepy fucks up to? Why isn't she fired yet? Someone make a documentary please

Meh, if Hank Azaria returns all the money he made off the character then I'll buy into his virtue signaling bullshit. Until then, thats just what it is, a privileged white celebrity looking for pats on the back by his peers and not actually buying into his own BS.

Meh, if Hank Azaria returns all the money he made off the character then I'll buy into his virtue signaling bullshit. Until then, thats just what it is, a privileged white celebrity looking for pats on the back by his peers and not actually buying into his own BS.

Guy just doesn't want to deal with the headaches going forward and I don't blame him. Same with Scarlett and that trans role.

Except he's not acting Indian. The same way minstrel show actors weren't acting like black people. The same way Mickey Rooney wasn't playing a Japanese character. It's not that Azaria is not Indian. It's that Apu is a racist charicature rather than a character. To the Simpson's credit, they did try to remedy some of that over time, and they humanized him as much as possible, but it's still a minstrel show. It's still Al Joleson.

There's a reason people are targeting Azaria's Apu with more concern than not Danny Pudi paying Abed Nadir. Sure Pudi wasn't Palestinian like his character, but they didn't trip overthemselves to shoehorn as much stereotype into the character as they could. Mulan is going to be full of non-chinese actors, but you wont see a bunch of white dudes doing a Mickey Rooney bit so people aren't making a big deal about it.

There's a difference between race related humor where the subtext is "look at how strange and absurd our racist beliefs and institutions are" like Chappelle's Show and where the subtext is "look at how stange and absurd other kinds of people are". One is punching up at larger ideas and institutions, one is punching down at people who could use a little honest representation. There's room for those waters to get a bit muddy, but that's not what Apu is.

Like, if you were an Indian-American kid in the 90s, where did popular culture tell you you fit in to society? Apu was the biggest representation of you and it's a white guy doing a racist ass impression. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm honestly not sure.

I have a LOT of reservations about PC culture, and I can't wait this wave of virtue signaling BS to end, but it's not being a snowflake to be offended when someone farts in your breakfast, and it's not being a snowflake to say 30 years of this particular minstrel show is probably plenty.
Literally every recurring character on the show is a caricature

The core of the show is a caricature of the American nuclear family (no, it's not a coincidence Homer works at a nuclear power plant)

I personally won't miss Apu because I don't watch the show anymore, but let's not pretend this fake PC outrage isn't fake PC outrage

I'd like them to continue the character but have him refuse to speak, and communicate with hand gestures and writing stuff down.

Who needs the Kwik E Mart?
ejmwlomxhukuwjdtbmh7.jpg

I dooooooooooooooooooo

<mma1>

Guy just doesn't want to deal with the headaches going forward and I don't blame him. Same with Scarlett and that trans role.

I agree with that, will make his life easier, he was probably told it was happening too.

Might curry favor with the local and small Indian population. Call 188 if you need to speak to Hank Azaria. I’m tired is the coffee ready? I see a red dot must be ready. Rape.

I'm sure the hacky comedian didn't do this to get exposure ...

Literally every recurring character on the show is a caricature

The core of the show is a caricature of the American nuclear family (no, it's not a coincidence Homer works at a nuclear power plant)

I personally won't miss Apu because I don't watch the show anymore, but let's not pretend this fake PC outrage isn't fake PC outrage

They are satires, smart, insightful satires based on the way people genuinely are generally speaking. Homer is a fat drunk idiot who doesn't always appreciate his family or take responsibility because that's what the average american was/is when the character was written. It was a self reflective satire. Apu does musical numbers about vishnu and talks in a funny accent and works at a quicky mart because "people from different places are funny". It comes from a totally different mind set.

Carl isn't a racist stereotype. Dr. Hibbert isn't a racist stereotype. Because by 1988 the punchline of a joke concerning a black character couldn't be that they were black. But the punchline for an indian character could still be "look how silly indians are".

You don't have to get that if you don't want to, but it's there.

Except he's not acting Indian. The same way minstrel show actors weren't acting like black people. The same way Mickey Rooney wasn't playing a Japanese character. It's not that Azaria is not Indian. It's that Apu is a racist charicature rather than a character. To the Simpson's credit, they did try to remedy some of that over time, and they humanized him as much as possible, but it's still a minstrel show. It's still Al Joleson.

There's a reason people are targeting Azaria's Apu with more concern than not Danny Pudi paying Abed Nadir. Sure Pudi wasn't Palestinian like his character, but they didn't trip overthemselves to shoehorn as much stereotype into the character as they could. Mulan is going to be full of non-chinese actors, but you wont see a bunch of white dudes doing a Mickey Rooney bit so people aren't making a big deal about it.

There's a difference between race related humor where the subtext is "look at how strange and absurd our racist beliefs and institutions are" like Chappelle's Show and where the subtext is "look at how stange and absurd other kinds of people are". One is punching up at larger ideas and institutions, one is punching down at people who could use a little honest representation. There's room for those waters to get a bit muddy, but that's not what Apu is.

Like, if you were an Indian-American kid in the 90s, where did popular culture tell you you fit in to society? Apu was the biggest representation of you and it's a white guy doing a racist ass impression. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm honestly not sure.

I have a LOT of reservations about PC culture, and I can't wait this wave of virtue signaling BS to end, but it's not being a snowflake to be offended when someone farts in your breakfast, and it's not being a snowflake to say 30 years of this particular minstrel show is probably plenty.

Fuck all this shit.

Apu was not offensive.

No more than Homer, himself. Which portrayed American men as fat, bald, lazy, stupid assholes.

Ive never heard US men cry about that. Apu was demonstrably a better man than Homer.

It being a US show, of course itll primarily feature WASPS, and any other demographics portrayed will feature sterotypical representations, but stereotypes arent offensive, they just pick on common, easily identifiable (to Americans) traits.

Grow a pair

Fuck all this shit.

Apu was not offensive.

No more than Homer, himself. Which portrayed American men as fat, bald, lazy, stupid assholes.

Ive never heard US men cry about that. Apu was demonstrably a better man than Homer.

It being a US show, of course itll primarily feature WASPS, and any other demographics portrayed will feature sterotypical representations, but stereotypes arent offensive, they just pick on common, easily identifiable (to Americans) traits.

Grow a pair

OK, I'll bite. Tell me all the racist stereotypes about Carl and Dr. Hibbert.

Who cares. Simpsons went out in the early 90s. Plus apu was a annoying character. I wouldnt even be able to watch a episode now.

Back