Hank Azaria to quit voicing Apu on ‘The Simpsons’ cuz Racism

Has Disney+ started putting disclaimers up warning people about the potential deep emotional scarring Apu might cause viewers of The Simpsons, yet?
The episode with Michael Jackson singing was pulled from circulation when that last documentary was put out.

meh. I haven't watched the simpsons since maybe 2013.

I haven't really followed modern Simpsons since I left my mother's house in the 2000's. I used to watch it religiously on C4 and BBC2 but they just showed the classics.

I watched one or two more recent episodes since then and I wasn't impressed. It was more absurd, less identifiable, more focused on pop culture and celebrity cameos. It sucked.

With that said, I liked Apu. When I thought of Indians as a child, I thought of corner shops, song and dance and arranged marriages, but characters like Apu showed the humanity behind the stereotype and the internal battles faced (like the arranged marriage to Manjula), showed me that the person behind the stereotype was just an ordinary bloke, who could be related with.

Apu was a stereotype done right. He should be looked at as a relationship enhancer, not as an insult.

That is fuckin sad. He was an Indian character who was popular in American pop culture. Of course kids made the connection and teased him but that's what kids do.

Reasons he should be celebrated:

Hard working business owner.

First generation immigrant and sucessful entrepreneur.

Proud father and husband.

Before he honored his families wishes and went through with the arranged marriage he was springfield's most eligible bachelor.

He is close friends with Paul McCartney and showed Lisa the vegetarian way.

He gave homer work when he was desperate.

He was a member of a nationally famous barbershop quartet.

Hands out solid advice to the community.

One of homer's best friends, he is an extended family member of the Simpson's. He stayed in their house. He is at all of their bbq's. He has been a go to guy for guidance and advice for many characters.

Looks Indian but doesn't smell like one. No character has ever referenced his odour, that should be inspiring to Indian Americans. It's possible.

Reasons he should be removed:

He is from India and has an indian accent.

Cletus is a much more offensive character. Beats his wife and has kids with his kids. He's ok.

Hard working apu is offensive and should be removed bc he has an accent reflective of where he was born and raised.

Whole thing is dumb.

Meh, they are just angry because Apu isn't fully Americanized yet like millineal American born Indian's are.

I can see why it's frustrating but that dudes just trying to use that as leverage to boost his career.

That is fuckin sad. He was an Indian character who was popular in American pop culture. Of course kids made the connection and teased him but that's what kids do.

Before he honored his families wishes and went through with the arranged marriage he was springfield's most eligible bachelor.

One of homer's best friends, he is an extended family member of the Simpson's. He stayed in their house. He is at all of their bbq's. He has been a go to guy for guidance and advice for many characters.

Looks Indian but doesn't smell like one. No character has ever referenced his odour, that should be inspiring to Indian Americans. It's possible.

Cletus is a much more offensive character. Beats his wife and has kids with his kids. He's ok.

Hard working apu is offensive and should be removed bc he has an accent reflective of where he was born and raised.

Whole thing is dumb.
Haha rezpec. Very concise!

(Not that the Simpsons has been funny since season 11 anyways)

Hari_Kondabolu.png

(
Didn’t know Snowflakes came in brown)

That thar variety is known as a shitflake

There's a lot of indian depanneur owners/ clerks relative to the population in Canada. They also sound like Apu and tend to have a shitton of kids. It's barely a stereotype. Dude made his money and is probably tired of doing the voice. Hasnt Simpsons been on for like 30 years?

This guy is a fucking idiot. If Apu wasn’t on the show he would be bitching about that as well. Family Guy has two different episodes where they featured Armenians and I found that shit fucking hilarious.

So this fat fuck did a whole documentary on a secondary character of an animated sitcom ? Wtf ?
Who gives a shit if the voice actor isn't indian ? It's called ACTING for a reason dumbass ...
Women are voicing male children all the time, and no superman actor could really fly or spam laserbeams from it's eyes ...
Modern left has become insane. And retarded. I think we need to create a new word ... Insanetard ?

But the right gets mad when white comic book characters are replaced with minorities or people of color...

Do they understand these aren't real people

Whole thing is dumb.

I do think the basic "come again" aspect of Apu is really less about his racial background and more poking fun at American service culture and its expectation of supreme chirpiness.

Most obviously you have the immigration episode were he's used to humanise Homers anti immigration viewpoint and is revealed as much more knowledgeable of the US and a more commited citizen of it.

You do certainly have a point with Cletus and the lack of reaction to him, I spose you could argue he's SUCH a cliché that fewer would actually identify with him but you could equally argue its a good example of identity politics being blind to class as a social disadvantage. Besides ignoring the elephant in the room when it comes to peoples economic backgrounds I think woke culture's focus on "offence" and "representation" actually means it often results in material that's quite politically empty unlike the above, probably why the establishment has embraced/pushed it so readily.

Fucking sad moment for comics and tv.

America is being destroyed from the inside.

Ok, is Chappelle going to stop his 'white guy' voice?

Are people still crying about this? Can't they just get an actual Indian dude to voice him? It's not like this guy wrote all of his story too.

But the right gets mad when white comic book characters are replaced with minorities or people of color...

Do they understand these aren't real people

I don't think that's quite the same thing. I'm not into comic books but I can get why fans don't like when producers willingly change their favorite character appearance. These are simple characters whose costume / physical traits are a huge chunk of what they are / why people recognize and like them. Plus they sometimes go full retard like with that viking god played by a black guy. I mean common, would you cast a chinese guy to play a zulu god ? Makes no sense at all.

Apu didn't suddenly become all indian nor they changed his accent, he was like that since the beginning of the show, including the voice actor, since 1990 !
In the end it is always the identity stuff crazy left that change already existing and liked entertainment, not the other way around.
They should just create their own shows rather than messing with other people stuff.

Actually Burns did once. I think it was a halloween episode when he was hunting the residents of Springfield. Apu was hiding behind a bush and Burns walks by and says something like “I smell curry.” He then proceeds to shoot and kill him.

Back