Hank Azaria to quit voicing Apu on ‘The Simpsons’ cuz Racism

It's funny to me that tons of people with Indian heritage said that the Apu character made them feel like they were finally being accepted as a part of America and it was largely a positive stereotype. Hardworking moral guy supporting his family. The only "offensive" bit was the accent. Funny how networks always cower infront of the crybabies and fail to listen to the more reasonable voices. Doesn't really matter since the Simpsons haven't been funny in a long time. South Park has been eating their lunch for years.

It's also got a fookin' Vampire in it though, so......

Edit: Agree that it is stupid, but I'd be more rustled if it was supposed to be based on a true story.

Well Dracula is the only supernatural thing in the novel, the world is supposed to be the real world.
I did forgot about the black nun living in a convent in the middle of fucking Transylvania. Oh and Van Helsing is now a woman.
Ok I stop here :D

Fucking false narrative...

There are lots of Indian representation in hollywood. You see libtards? This is what happens when you start entertaining outrage culture.

This will never end. You get that right? The lines will constantly be shifting to find new things to get outraged over because that's the mission.

The crazy thing is that Apu is probably the most enlightened and morally conscious character on The Simpsons from what I've seen (granted I haven't watched the show in years)

images

Hank Azaria told a Hollywood blog he has no plans to continue voicing the character of Apu on “The Simpsons.” The character has drawn criticism for reinforcing racial stereotypes claims ‘comedian’ Hari Kondabolu.

Hari_Kondabolu.png
if the poo comedian were balding which he probably is, he would look just like homer simpson

How long before this fool goes after Fisher Stevens for playing an Indian guy in Short Circuit.

Side note: Fisher Stevens was lucky enough to be bedding down a prime Michelle Pfeiffer.

Why in the world do people still watch the Simpsons?

Not only is this not breaking, we already had this jimmie rustling at least a year ago!
{<shrug}

The crazy thing is that Apu is probably the most enlightened and morally conscious character on The Simpsons from what I've seen (granted I haven't watched the show in years)

images
*drops hot dog on floor*
"Ooh, it is encrusted with filth. Oh well, I'll sell it anyway..."

This actually happened a couple years ago, why are we all getting fake outraged about it today?

Who gives a shit if the voice actor isn't indian ? It's called ACTING for a reason dumbass ...

Except he's not acting Indian. The same way minstrel show actors weren't acting like black people. The same way Mickey Rooney wasn't playing a Japanese character. It's not that Azaria is not Indian. It's that Apu is a racist charicature rather than a character. To the Simpson's credit, they did try to remedy some of that over time, and they humanized him as much as possible, but it's still a minstrel show. It's still Al Joleson.

There's a reason people are targeting Azaria's Apu with more concern than not Danny Pudi paying Abed Nadir. Sure Pudi wasn't Palestinian like his character, but they didn't trip overthemselves to shoehorn as much stereotype into the character as they could. Mulan is going to be full of non-chinese actors, but you wont see a bunch of white dudes doing a Mickey Rooney bit so people aren't making a big deal about it.

There's a difference between race related humor where the subtext is "look at how strange and absurd our racist beliefs and institutions are" like Chappelle's Show and where the subtext is "look at how stange and absurd other kinds of people are". One is punching up at larger ideas and institutions, one is punching down at people who could use a little honest representation. There's room for those waters to get a bit muddy, but that's not what Apu is.

Like, if you were an Indian-American kid in the 90s, where did popular culture tell you you fit in to society? Apu was the biggest representation of you and it's a white guy doing a racist ass impression. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm honestly not sure.

I have a LOT of reservations about PC culture, and I can't wait this wave of virtue signaling BS to end, but it's not being a snowflake to be offended when someone farts in your breakfast, and it's not being a snowflake to say 30 years of this particular minstrel show is probably plenty.

The days u could call a spade a spade. What year exactly did that end and the snow flake era begin?

It's also got a fookin' Vampire in it though, so......

Edit: Agree that it is stupid, but I'd be more rustled if it was supposed to be based on a true story.
Dr. Who does this a lot (I know, time travel).

The Simpsons are equal opportunity stereotypers so it’s pretty lame.

I love the fake outrage in reaction to the fake outrage though and the feeling of superiority each side ends up with.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

So can anybody just call themselves a "comedian" these days? Giving comedy a bad name imo.

Pretty much anyone who has been on stage once and made jokes making a few people laugh, can say they're a 'comedian' for the rest of their lives.

Back