"Guys, guys. Hang on. Can I try something?" - Worst Ad Ever?

Joe, you need to get laid, son.

I don't have a problem with the commercial. It's the Dave Bidini article that is absurd.

What is most frustrating about the ridiculous article is that Dave Bidini just assumes male prejudice is the sole reason that women aren't getting into drumming when what it really comes down to is a matter of interest. There is nothing wrong with a woman not being interested in being a drummer. Does Bidini really believe that more TV commercials featuring women drummers is going to make women more interested in drumming?

Why is there this sudden drive to force women into things they generally are not interested in and blame men for their lack of interest?

The article isn't even accurate. The women isn't in her son's garage, she's punking her neighbour's kid.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the commercial. It's the Dave Bidini article that is absurd.

What is most frustrating about the ridiculous article is that Dave Bidini just assumes male prejudice is the sole reason that women aren't getting into drumming when what it really comes down to is a matter of interest. There is nothing wrong with a woman not being interested in being a drummer. Does Bidini really believe that more TV commercials featuring women drummers is going to make women more interested in drumming?

Why is there this sudden drive to force women into things they generally are not interested in and blame men for their lack of interest
?

What is interesting is this thread is very much a small case study that men are DEFINITELY at least partially to blame.

We have a commercial where a woman goes in and does some crazy shit (to your average person) on the drums.

Instead of saying "oh, ok, a woman playing the drums" everyone on this board freaks out and assumes its some feminist push movement. And they BASH the commercial.

That's fucking crazy. And evidence this shit does happen.

What is interesting is this thread is very much a small case study that men are DEFINITELY at least partially to blame.

We have a commercial where a woman goes in and does some crazy shit (to your average person) on the drums.

Instead of saying "oh, ok, a woman playing the drums" everyone on this board freaks out and assumes its some feminist push movement. And they BASH the commercial.

It's blatant advertising to women. It's almost a form of bribery. It's okay for women to be sexist just because they are women.

It's blatant advertising to women. It's almost a form of bribery. It's okay for women to be sexist just because they are women.

There is nothing in this commercial to even begin to suggest anything you are suggesting.

Which brings me to the follow-up question: What did she do to hurt you?

I beg to politely differ.

It wasn't until oh about the hundredth time watching this ad on TV that I finally started saying stuff subconsciously or under my breath like, "ok, we get it, you're awesome." It's like over time of getting this ad hammered into my brain the message became clear of a feminist agenda (whether or not it was even a woman or feminist who wrote it).

Ultimately it's a woman showing up 3 boys learning how to play instruments in THEIR (bolded for emphasis, not decibel level) garage and in THEIR band. Her attitude is lame - rolling her eyes, not offering positive feedback/pointers.

No one likes this type of person regardless of sex. The irony is that we're supposed to think she's cool because she's a woman outperforming men at their own game (I didn't realize drumming was a mens-only club) - which in this case is actually 3 boys learning how to play.

Then there's the furtherance of an agenda by her partner waiting by the car until she gets back to drive it (lol).

There's actually a lot going on in this ad.

There is nothing in this commercial to even begin to suggest anything you are suggesting.

Which brings me to the follow-up question: What did she do to hurt you?

Bullshit. If the situation was reversed women would be pissed off. A mens version of that commercial wouldn't even be considered.

It's obvious that Toyota is trying to get women to buy more vehicles, but I don't think they have to do it at the expense of men.

I beg to politely differ.

It wasn't until oh about the hundredth time watching this ad on TV that I finally started saying stuff subconsciously or under my breath like, "ok, we get it, you're awesome." It's like over time of getting this ad hammered into my brain the message became clear of a feminist agenda (whether or not it was even a woman or feminist who wrote it).

Ultimately it's a woman showing up 3 boys learning how to play instruments in THEIR (bolded for emphasis, not decibel level) garage and in THEIR band. Her attitude is lame - rolling her eyes, not offering positive feedback/pointers.

No one likes this type of person regardless of sex. The irony is that we're supposed to think she's cool because she's a woman outperforming men at their own game (I didn't realize drumming was a mens-only club) - which in this case is actually 3 boys learning how to play.

Then there's the furtherance of an agenda by her partner waiting by the car until she gets back to drive it (lol).

There's actually a lot going on in this ad.

This is a problem with YOU, not the commercial.

You've seen a harmless commercial enough that you're actually attacking and blaming the woman in the commercial for it. It's sick.

These commercials are commonplace, literally they used to prop up every other commercial in the 90s.

If we plug in YOUR logic, we need to start boycotting Holiday Inn. This commercial is absurdly racist. A white man comes in and starts outperforming black men at their own game. He is in their neighborhood, makes them hold his laundry and embarrasses them without offering them any tips on how to improve their rhymes.

OR the commercial is using a classical misdirection technique as old as entertainment itself, where a normal looking person performs an action that you wouldn't expect because of their appearance.

The fact that you start ranting about the feminist agenda shows that there is a real, serious problem with your view of the world.

Relax Uncle Tim, I already posted that I had no problem with the commercial. In fact, I mention in the very first sentence that I don't have a problem with the commercial. I also make it very clear that its the Dave Bidini opinion piece (which I generously labeled an article) that rustles my jimmies. I could care less who is playing drums in a car commerical. It was the National Post opinion piece and it's misandric assertions that pissed me off.

Relax Uncle Tim, I already posted that I had no problem with the commercial. I could care less who is playing drums. It was the National Post opinion piece and it's misandric assertions that pissed me off.

I wasn't blaming you, buddy. But look at the other people who DO have a problem with the commercial, read what they say, and really think about the shit that a boring commercial like this is getting because a woman is playing drums.

I wasn't blaming you, buddy. But look at the other people who DO have a problem with the commercial, read what they say, and really think about the shit that a boring commercial like this is getting because a woman is playing drums.

I agree, I think it's silly to read too much into a commercial. It's what feminists do when looking for "the patriarchy." But, I think there is a justification in being concerned when multiple Canadian mainstream media sites like the Globe and Mail and The National Post used the commercial as an opportunity to push a feminist agenda.

Maybe things aren't as bad in the U.S., but in Canada it seems like every single media outlet has a daily "women's interest" quota that must be met where there needs to be so many articles, features and opinion pieces talking about the brutal oppression of women in Western society.

Here is the Globe and Mail article regarding the commerical:

Why men are always in the driver

I hate that commercial. If it were a man showing up girls there would be outrage. But GIRL POWER! It's so blatantly sexist.

It's a lame commercial for sure, but I looked at it as an adult showing up kids. :shrug: But then my niece plays the drums.

Clearly if it was a man playing the drums TS wouldn't have made this thread. But I also wonder if the rustling was somehow caused because it was regular, somewhat average looking, woman that was upstaging the kids. For some reason I have a feeling if that female actress was replaced with a super hot 20 something in a bikini, TS would have accepted the commercial and not have made this thread.

I agree, I think it's silly to read too much into a commercial. It's what feminists do when looking for "the patriarchy." But, I think there is a justification in being concerned when multiple Canadian mainstream media sites like the Globe and Mail and The National Post used the commercial as an opportunity to push a feminist agenda.

Maybe things aren't as bad in the U.S., but in Canada it seems like every single media outlet has a daily "women's interest" quota that must be met where there needs to be so many articles, features and opinion pieces talking about the brutal oppression of women in Western society.

Here is the Globe and Mail article regarding the commerical:

Why men are always in the driver

it's a car commercial, calm your tits people

that article was cringe worthy though

sometimes I wish they would stop trying to make commercials funny/entertaining or w/e and just make a commercial that is an actual ad. Here's our product, look at it and buy it!

Fuck Flo, Fuck that stupid Pig, Fuck the AT&T Girl (yes plz!), Fuck Old Spice try hard commercials, just fuck commercials in general

Take all the feminist banter out of the equation...

What that person did was a d-bag move. You see some people doing something and just barge in and show them how much better you can do it than them, with apparently no motive to even teach them how to do it like you, just to show off? If this was a real life scenario, this person is just a pure asshole.

Yet Toyota uses this person in a commercial like she's some kind of damn hero?

I don't like it. Don't care if she's a woman any other gender - she's a narcissist and an asshole.

That's actually not a terrible start to the article. I have also known someone who REFUSED to let his girl drive, because "women can't drive." Dude got drunk at every opportunity and eventually wound up with a DUI. So I agree, there is definitely a power structure issue going on there.

Then the article goes into the realm of over-exaggeration retardation. Lawn mowing and fixing things is fun and we are preventing women from doing it? Goodness grief. This is the language that terms people off, it's unrealistic overboard nonsense.

Regardless, if you have no problem with the commercial, and they are doing the same thing that feminist groups do to find issues with patriarchy, perhaps you need to acknowledge there is a large groups obsessed with male empowerment who are doing the exact same thing on the other end.

I acknowledge that there are male groups that take things too far . I think the recent Men Going Their Own Way movement is ridiculous. To me its a bunch of selfish males who want a female slave as a partner. It's one thing to criticize feminists for taking things too far or showing concern over the media's constant attacks on maleness, but males claiming they are abandoning all women because there aren't any women worth their time is absolutely ridiculous.

Sure aint even a good ad but why the thread?

tonnin_seteli.jpg

Take all the feminist banter out of the equation...

What that person did was a d-bag move. You see some people doing something and just barge in and show them how much better you can do it than them, with apparently no motive to even teach them how to do it like you, just to show off? If this was a real life scenario, this person is just a pure asshole.

Yet Toyota uses this person in a commercial like she's some kind of damn hero?

I don't like it. Don't care if she's a woman any other gender - she's a narcissist and an asshole.

There are a lot of commenters on YouTube sharing the same sentiment as you. It seems they aren't too impressed with the arrogant attitude displayed by an individual barging in on a group of kids during their band practice with the only purpose of showing off.

Back