"Guys, guys. Hang on. Can I try something?" - Worst Ad Ever?

It's blatant advertising to women. It's almost a form of bribery. It's okay for women to be sexist just because they are women.

Target marketing is pretty common place and there really isn't anything wrong with it. This isn't the first time that a product was advertized to a particular demographic.

It's a lame commercial for sure, but I looked at it as an adult showing up kids. :shrug: But then my niece plays the drums.

The ad is empowering women to buy a Toyota by belittling boys.

It's all about Girl Power nowadays. I guess thats because women hold the purse strings and really like to spend. The danger in encouraging women is that they begin to believe they are automatically empowered and don't have live in the real world.

I actually bought a Toyota. If I had let my wife buy it we would have paid $7000 more for a $45000 vehicle. I have seen Girl Power in the real world and I'm not impressed.

this is a problem with you, not the commercial.

You've seen a harmless commercial enough that you're actually attacking and blaming the woman in the commercial for it. It's sick.

These commercials are commonplace, literally they used to prop up every other commercial in the 90s.

if we plug in your logic, we need to start boycotting holiday inn. This commercial is absurdly racist. A white man comes in and starts outperforming black men at their own game. He is in their neighborhood, makes them hold his laundry and embarrasses them without offering them any tips on how to improve their rhymes.

or the commercial is using a classical misdirection technique as old as entertainment itself, where a normal looking person performs an action that you wouldn't expect because of their appearance.

The fact that you start ranting about the feminist agenda shows that there is a real, serious problem with your view of the world.

This.

I acknowledge that there are male groups that take things too far . I think the recent Men Going Their Own Way movement is ridiculous.

They are frustrated with the game so they are taking their Ball(s) and going home.

But I'm not sure they have thought this through. If they take their balls home, who is left to play with them?

Target marketing is pretty common place and there really isn't anything wrong with it. This isn't the first time that a product was advertized to a particular demographic.

It makes sense considering women are by far the largest consumers and have the most purchasing power. Traditionally, the majority of advertising has been directed at women because they are the ones who spend the money. I'm sure we will be seeing even more commercials targeted at women considering more women than ever are in the work place and financially independent.

Esther Pilar, back in the 70's explained in her book The Manipulated Man that the reason the news media caters so much to women is because advertisers don't want to risk upsetting their largest spending demographic. I think that explains why there are so many women's interests articles plaguing the mainstream news. It's all about following the advertising money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only on the internet will a simple commercial bring out the women hating 'anti-feminist' crowd to set up their soapboxes. Hilarious.

Legit lol'd at this...

Salads can take time.. Like 20 minutes sometimes

Or if it's a chicken salad you have to wait for the dummy on BBQ duty to get his shit together. It's so frustrating! You know I'm rite!

Salads can take time.. Like 20 minutes sometimes

Sure... Most of which is due to the time it takes cutting up the fruits and veggies. If it takes you hours just to make a fucking salad then no wonder you're not on the grill.

They are frustrated with the game so they are taking their Ball(s) and going home.

But I'm not sure they have thought this through. If they take their balls home, who is left to play with them?

I think one thing these guys are failing to realize is that you have to be a decent person in order to attract decent women. They seem to believe they are worthy of a decent woman without having to put in any effort.

Take all the feminist banter out of the equation...

What that person did was a d-bag move. You see some people doing something and just barge in and show them how much better you can do it than them, with apparently no motive to even teach them how to do it like you, just to show off? If this was a real life scenario, this person is just a pure asshole.

Yet Toyota uses this person in a commercial like she's some kind of damn hero?

I don't like it. Don't care if she's a woman any other gender - she's a narcissist and an asshole.

This was actually the thrust of my first two posts. The feminist agenda was sort of secondary or got dragged into this (and I can't say that it wasn't for just reason either).

Alas, people like IDL and johnny5isalive will ignore it because it doesn't fit their own selfish agenda.

hey Mister, my agenda is to make a few jokes and not take a thread like this too seriously.

Come at me

I think one thing these guys are failing to realize is that you have to be a decent person in order to attract decent women. They seem to believe they are worthy of a decent woman without having to put in any effort.

It's a defeatist attitude.

But really there shouldn't be a gender war in the first place. A lot of people I'm sure don't know how to make sense of it.

This is a problem with YOU, not the commercial.

You've seen a harmless commercial enough that you're actually attacking and blaming the woman in the commercial for it. It's sick.

These commercials are commonplace, literally they used to prop up every other commercial in the 90s.

If we plug in YOUR logic, we need to start boycotting Holiday Inn. This commercial is absurdly racist. A white man comes in and starts outperforming black men at their own game. He is in their neighborhood, makes them hold his laundry and embarrasses them without offering them any tips on how to improve their rhymes.

OR the commercial is using a classical misdirection technique as old as entertainment itself, where a normal looking person performs an action that you wouldn't expect because of their appearance.

The fact that you start ranting about the feminist agenda shows that there is a real, serious problem with your view of the world.

What if my reaction actually is appropriate for 2014? What if it's a perfectly normal reaction to something that has become a societal norm and YOUR reaction is the outdated one by 10-50 years?

I'll tip my hand a bit on this conversation.

My mom was a doctor my whole growing up years. They had a bunch of kids, my dad was less educated so fell into the househusband role early on. By the time we had grown up he was too old and unemployable to find full-time honorable work. He early on lost all power in decision-making in almost every regard. My mom made selfish, reckless decision after selfish, reckless decision - he was the one who was constantly dependable and responsible and picked up the pieces. This isn't a spin on history, this is what happened.

Consequently, I was never able to relate to the supposed Homer Simpson of the male stereotype like ever in my life. Quite the opposite.

Now, by your response, your background is likely reflected by the opposite.

The fact is, there is a growing number of men in society who have no personal experience with the supposed male-dominated society (or gender inequality in men's favour). We judge each case separately and know from experience that the 1950's feminist case for inequality doesn't work with the broad-brush anymore.

The video I posted showed a woman showing up 3 boys (not grown men, which in any case would still have been douchey unless it was a battle of the bands or drummers or something). It was doubley lame because the down-trodden female in North America stereotype isn't platform worthy anymore (at least not portrayed in a douchebaggery, showing off, narcisstic way).

Last edited:
What if my reaction actually is appropriate for 2014? What if it's a perfectly normal reaction to something that has become a societal norm and YOUR reaction is the outdated one by 10-50 years?

I'll tip my hand a bit on this conversation.

My mom was a doctor my whole growing up years. They had a bunch of kids, my dad was less educated so fell into the househusband role early on. By the time we had grown up he was too old and unemployable to find full-time honorable work. He early on lost all power in decision-making in almost every regard. My mom made selfish, reckless decision after selfish, reckless decision - he was the one who was constantly dependable and responsible and picked up the pieces. This isn't a spin on history, this is what happened.

Consequently, I was never able to relate to the supposed Homer Simpson of the male stereotype like ever in my life. Quite the opposite.

Now, by your response, your background is likely reflected by the opposite.

The fact is, there is a growing number of men in society who have no personal experience with the supposed male-dominated society (or gender inequality in men's favour). We judge each case separately and know from experience that the 1950's feminist case for inequality doesn't work with the broad-brush anymore.

The video I posted showed a woman showing up 3 boys (not grown men, which in any case would still have been douchey unless it was a battle of the bands or drummers or something). It was doubley lame because the down-trodden female in North America stereotype isn't platform worthy anymore (at least not portrayed in a douchebaggery, showing off, narcisstic way).

You ignored my post almost completely.

The video showed a person you would not expect to be good at drums be good at drums. Then it says those unexpected, surprising people drive shitty cars. That is literally the premise of the commercial and no tales of childhood stories that I gloss over because I don't give a shit about them will change that.

If you want to know, my father and mother were equally competent people whose skills complimented each other. And I don't need to go back to my childhood to be able to deduce the message of an overdone commercial.

Is this commercial racist? Or does it promote a overt feminist message?

^^ Arab beats bro. you sure you want to rustle Joe any further?

You ignored my post almost completely.

The video showed a person you would not expect to be good at drums be good at drums. Then it says those unexpected, surprising people drive shitty cars. That is literally the premise of the commercial and no tales of childhood stories that I gloss over because I don't give a shit about them will change that.

If you want to know, my father and mother were equally competent people whose skills complimented each other. And I don't need to go back to my childhood to be able to deduce the message of an overdone commercial.

Is this commercial racist? Or does it promote a overt feminist message?

That video was funny.

I don't get your rant or what you're going on about at all.

The obvious intention of the video in the OP was obvious, which is what you keep reiterating. But you need to be able to see between the lines and see the subtle messages which in the video in the OP weren't actually so subtle.

It's like you're telling me you're wearing a blue shirt and I'm telling you yeah, that's true but because there's a Seahawk logo on the front I'm deducing that you're a Seahawks fan. And then you're getting worked up because you think I'm reading into things much, cuz "no, it's a blue shirt!"

^^ Arab beats bro. you sure you want to rustle Joe any further?

You went there . . .

I think you'll attest that my post history defends the rights of women to an education and not getting beaten or subjected against their will to arranged marriages (particularly child marriages).

Back